Mercurian Gate bug?

Worm4life

Warlord
I build the Mercurian Gate and choose not to take control of them. Angels and a settler appear around the city that built the gate, but the city does not transfer over to them, leaving them without any cities. Also Basrium is nowhere to be seen (I had iron working researched too). The next turn, the city is still mine but Basrium appears. Tried advancing a few turns but they never take over the city. I could gift cities to them, but shouldn't that be automatic?

Tried it again. This time Basrium appeared right away, but still the Mercurians do not take control of the city that built the gate.

Here's some stuff that might have affected it.

-The gate was hurried with gold.

-I had started construction of the gate in another city, but one-third of the way through decided a different location would be better. Canceled production in the first city, resumed it in the other.

-The turn after the gate is built/hurried, I get a message saying I cannot continue construction of the gate in (original city) and I get refunded gold.

I went back to the turn before completion and checked the original city but the gate was nowhere on the production queue. I HAD to cancel it to be able to start construction in a different city. It seems though the game thought it was still being made there? This would bug the gate city being handed over to the Mercurians?

The Mercurians gain the city through use of a Spell that only Basium (note his name contains no r's) can cast. It has a very large AI weighting, but sometimes the AI just happens to move Basium before it checks to see what spells it can cast and it can only consider spells currently castable not spells it could cast if it moved units units around first. Since you say he appeared the next turn, I'd guess that Basium showed up the first time but probably moved to a tile occupied by your units so that you'd have to mouseover the tile to see he was there too.

He showed up the second time right away inside the city but still didn't take it over then.

Here's the save. You can hurry production with gold on the city building the gate. Kingsport was the original site for the gate and the turn after the gate gets built you'll get the hammers converted to gold refund message.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-0336.CivBeyondSwordSave
    249.6 KB · Views: 60
Changing the city in which you complete the gate, and the refund you get from the original city, don't affect whether Basium takes over the city with the gate. The AI usually takes over the city immediately, but sometimes it doesn't. Basium can opt to take control of that city at any time, so you can wait for the AI to take it, or gift it to the Mercurians. When practical, I like to build the gate on a one-tile island because it guarantees that Basium will claim it, and decreases the chance that the AI will suicide Basium himself.

Top Bottom