1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Merge] About Indonesian civ

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by antaratma, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Byzantine Bomb

Byzantine Bomb Warlord

An Indonesian naval UU would compliment their play style well indeed.

2. ToodleElNoodos

ToodleElNoodos Warlord

Not Indonesian, but that bugged me too! First it's Gaya then they say Gaha. >.<

3. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

Uh... Pretty sure America is entirely capable of building culture. Probably better at spreading it than any other present day country, too. You could go to any major city in the world and you'll find a rock band somewhere.

4. antaratma

antaratma Chieftain

wow, so many replies. Sorry if I can't answer it in one post, maybe it can confuse you all :lol:

okay, let's get started

@Syailendra :

yes, I'm Indonesian myself, 14 years old if you want to know. As I said, my historical knowledge it's not so great so CMIIW.

1. Ah, but in the translation ( I know nothing about Kawi language) said that he won't eat
    any spices. The most famous spices I know is pepper, so what I mean is eating
    something without pepper is strange, although it's impossible, thanks for the correction

2. I know that, Bubat Incident, it even recorded in Kidung Sundayana in Bali. But that
    kind of victory just like don't suit the character of Gajah Mada, which smart and he
    won't order his Bhayangkara to fight Sundanese Royal Family if he rethink his plan.

3. Indeed, Gajah Mada's name doesn't mean Elephant General.. maybe that's why I wondering, Mada = General ? how come ?

thanks for your opinion by the way :goodjob:

@ Victorpras

Indeed, Gajah Mada is not the ruler of Majapahit, but he is allowed to make a "prasasti" (inscription in google translate :confused:), which only the Kings allowed to make that. That would be mean that Gajah Mada is a powerful general, that his impact to Nusantara is so great that he allowed to make a prasasti. As for the queen, you can just call her Tribhuwana Tunggadewi (easier eh ? :lol:), it is said that she is a general herself when trying to put down a rebellion in Sedang and Keta, where Gajah Mada and Ra Kembar debating each other who was the first to arrive :lol:, so she ran and take the commander position. Brave indeed, I wanted to make a portrait about her just like the girls in Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors, which only Zhu Rong and Tachibana Ginchiyo that can actually fight (bit oot XD)

@ TheKingOfBigOz

that's a good idea, I just don't like it if they make the unit's name a general name, not the specific one.

@ Secon

but at least they put Indonesia in the game ! :goodjob:

5. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

Just from general sources, I'd think that "Gajah Mada" is Old Javanese. Hopefully this doesn't add to the confusion.

6. antaratma

antaratma Chieftain

@ zukenft

Terima kasih atas sambutannya mas :lol:

I thought that they went to Indonesia, to search Old Javanese speaker which usually a scholar or Wayang puppeteer, I too will surprised if they managed to found 1 in USA

@ GamerFlair

Reading your replies makes me sad about Indonesian when in Dutch era, they just have no mercy and ruin everything :mad:, covering our great past into a slave nation T.T, but that's okay, what have happened cannot be unhappened :lol:

@ Viregel :

First time I know Sid Meier's Civilization games is in Brave New World expansion, because in Indonesian largest community, Kaskus, there was a thread about Gajah Mada in civ 5 while I searching about him. Then, I diligently read all of the thread about Indonesia (including Indonesia Disscussion and Speculation thread). I'm much more comfortable with you guys' idea than in game one

@ seancolorado

I can't force my mind that KS is Bhayangkara, since KS' shield and armor were inspired from Balinese Warrior. But yeah it's okay, about the pronounciation, yeah, I agree with you

7. Stellarnight

Stellarnight Warlord

Hey antaratma,

Just curious. How has Indonesians reacted to the inclusion of Indonesia and it's depiction in Civ V? My Indonesian friends were bemused when they heard that Indonesia made it into the game. Did this increased Civ's popularity in the country?

8. antaratma

antaratma Chieftain

I saw some Indonesian news website and blog that says Indonesian are available in Civ 5

If you understand Indonesian you should understand this keyword in search engine

"Indonesia hadir di civ 5"

some web such as merdeka.com and kompasiana post this, they got no problem with the depiction, they proud of it instead.

and then I believe that Civilization's popularity increased in my country

I also tell this to my classmate, which he is now playing as Japanese in BNW :lol:

but based on my society, only few people plays Civ series, most of them are bookworms and smartass. The rest just choose to fill their laptop/PC with FIFA 14, BF 3, etc.

9. Stellarnight

Stellarnight Warlord

Personally i was most excited about Indonesia's inclusion being part of ASEAN and all. Must be really cool to play as your own country:D
    We do need some more awesome SEA Civs though. Vietnam cough cough

On the other hand, i don't think there was any rejoicing in my country where we became a city-state:lol: Maybe we will become a playable Civ in CIV XXXXXXXXXXV like Venice:crazyeye:

My Indonesian friends play the exact same things you were describing:Fifa 14...BF3...Dota2

10. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Yeah, I didn't know the exact pronunciation of Gajah Mada, but that it's pronounced differently within the same intro speech bothered me, as well. Gajah Mada seems like he's built-fat, not just fat - he looks like a hammer thrower at the Olympics, not a couch potato.

I think Indonesia's abilities are inherently interesting, but require too much coincidence to actually work. Take out the lake/river requirement for the Candi, and give luxuries for cities on the same continent that are far away, and pretty much everything about them is fixed already.

11. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

I completely agree, and I've done it myself already. :)

12. Syailendra

Syailendra Prince

actually, it is believed that he is not a native in java land, and his birthplace is claimed by a tribe at sumatera island. No actual proof though.
    Do you have any suggestion on his javanese name meaning then? It is possible given theres was a javanese king named Gajah Mungkur, and some other names like Gajah Lumantung, and so on.

13. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

I'd presume that the name was given to him later.

14. antaratma

antaratma Chieftain

Not only Sumatra

even Bali used to claimed it that Mada's origin was there (source : forgot T.T)

The source was a forum (forgot the name), there was a user with nickname "Majapahitans", he is a great Majapahit historian in that forum, and I was inspired by him :lol:

15. secon

secon Chieftain

my wife pronounces it ga-jah. i asked her brother and he said the same thing. her sister said it could be guy-yah or ga-jah so i don't know.

16. Syailendra

Syailendra Prince

there is no weak 'J' in indonesian, you read it as if used in the word 'jack'. While 'H' is sometimes not clear or missing
    so its ga-jah and ma-ja-pa-'it

17. secon

secon Chieftain

i was just trying to approximate it phonetically in english :p that's how they sounded to me heh. i assumed it was ga-jah so when i heard it different in the intro i was confused.

18. antaratma

antaratma Chieftain

I hope that they will fix this

Gaiah Mada, and Maiapahit...

Yuck :sad:

and btw I just realized that there's Indonesian spy named Jayakatwang, the ones who rebel the king Kertanegara, and then killed by Raden Wijaya, who established the Majapahit Kingdom :lol:

is there any Great artist, Great General, etc that named after Indonesian people ?