1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MIC - Idea & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by microbe, Jun 17, 2004.

1. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

At this point I only want one of the following:
    1. # of cities other than capital cannot exceed # of wonders we control
    2. # of cities other than capital cannot exceed # of wonders we built

Counting multiple captured wonders as one, IMO, is a bit inconsistent.

Since right now I want a 20K win for it, I think 2 is more appropriate as that emphasizes building instead of conquest.

If instead Conquest is a goal, then 1 might be better. But that would probably be the goal of the Cultural Expansion game, not this one.

2. Kiech

Kiech Chieftain

Then I would choose #2, to make it a bit harder.

3. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Mic2 has been won. [party]

Since I'm currently in 7 SGs, I don't feel in a hurry to start another one, but No. 3 and 4 are OCC or semi-OCC, so I can start one of them if enough people sign up.

4. Kiech

Kiech Chieftain

I am not in any particular hurry to start. 7 sg's? Wow.

5. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Mic1 is won. I'm going to start a new game this week. I want to try the Wonder Expansion game at emperor or demigod (it will be a semi-OCC, but easier).

6. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I will be on vacation from 08/25 - 09/01.

After that I plan to start a new game. Currently I'm thinking of the Culture Conquest as Sumeria, or the variant below which has been in my mind for quite a while:

The Special Weapons

As Vikings/deity/standard archipelago

Rules:
    1. We have to research or trade for Map Making, Navigation, Amphibious War and Advanced Flight at the first oppertunity. Building Great Lighthouse or Magellon's would be a bonus.
    2. We can only attack coastal cities from sea.
    3. After Advanced Flight (or make it even harder, remove this clause), we can only attack inland cities by means of paratroopers.

8. grs

grs nameless one

I may be interested in the wonder expansion game, if you could explain it a bit further. 100 culture in the capital? Total? 100 sounds high at the start, but may be low later!?

I am in no hurry though - starting somewhere in september seems nice to me, because at least 2 or 3 games I currently play will be finished then.

9. SesnOfWthr

SesnOfWthr True Believer

I like the sound of the "Special Weapons".

Pencil me in for a "probably", though it will depend on how much I've got on my plate when it gets going. :)

10. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

If you are interested in the Special Weapons SG, I would recommend you play Epic 43: Ports Your Goal. The game forum and announcement thread is here. It's a fun game, and has some similarities with my SG (especially paratroopers - how many people actually used it?). Just remember not to post spoiler information before the close date.

11. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I've been quite inactive for a while after vacation, so here is Mic4 - AWM. Want to gain some AW experience and eventually move up the difficulty in this area.

12. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I wonder when all my ideas can be implemented?

With the USA election due in a couple of weeks, time for a fun deity game. :) Mic5 - The Butt Kisser is started. Sign up in a hurry!

13. el_filet

el_filet Chieftain

I'll join your self-research, if you're still looking for players. You probably need to send me a message at game start, if time for first sign up is any indication...

14. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Thanks for the interest. That will probably be a while. I just have too many good ideas. :)

I do notice you are a newcomer. Are you familiar with SGs? Maybe you could introduce yourself a bit. :)

15. el_filet

el_filet Chieftain

I'm playing civ since the DOS era. But I've only played a few games of Civ3 & PTW (got C3C but no game yet). However, Emperor is no problem, but I got busted in Deity. This is probably because I didn't knew of the extra starting units and refused demands - bad idea. I want to increase the difficulty level, but when I play for a while I get lazy. So I'm looking for SG's, for 10 turns I can play on peak efficency :)

I have no expirence in SG, but I followed some in the last couple of month. Couldn't join one, all games that I'm interested in are full in no time.

16. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

OK I take the time to write down my own rules, which I copied mostly from LK rules. :) Unless otherwise specified, these will be the base rules of all my games.

Edit: I moved the rules to the first post.

17. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Amen to that! Especially No4! And 3! Yeah, 2 and 1 as well.

You capped it well, mate. I hate doing stuff that the AI wouldn't do ever.

ROP is kinda a different issue after all, I've been ROP-raped in a few games by the AI.
    Mainly it was because they signed a treaty against us at that moment.

But it doesn't say we are/should be allowed to do it anyways.

18. gozpel

Hey, think more about the rep rule.

If you trade with someone off your landarea and harbors won't help to keep up a current trade, then you ask someone to leave your territory, anmd they declare.

It will hit your rep, just as the random spearman pillaging a road in an unknown area.

I think rep should be kept as far as it goes, but if someone/civ is the only way for trades and you demand them to leave, rightfully it isn't "your fault" Live with the rep hit after that.

I've tried a few games to see how the AI really acts. Sometimes it seems they continue normal deals, even after the cut roads and also for a long time. Other times I'm shot. There must be some way to figure out the calcula for this.

As I see it, can an AI benefit enough from us, they can give gpt and gold for a trade. This is for one offense. A second offense simply kills all opportunties.

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Actually, I added a separate item for RoP rape. RoP deal has nothing to do with that and I'm actually fine with breaking RoP deal.

I moved the rules to the first post by the way.

20. gozpel

When the roads are connected again, that means.