Missing icons and text problems

Zahar

Chieftain
Hi guys, I've tried to get into the FFH2 mod over the past few years because it looks really interesting and I've enjoyed a bit of what I've played, but my games never get very far since I tend to get frustrated over a lack of information and problems with the UI.

I think one of the major problems I'm facing is that I'm missing some UI icons. For example, the Dungeon says it gives "-25% to War" (I'm assuming a missing Unhappy icon here), and the granary says I get "+1 from Corn, Rice, Wheat" and again I'm assuming there's a missing Health icon here.

Combat units are especially confusing to me. For example if I look at a Carrack it says "4 60%, 9, 3, 1 Range." I have no idea what all of those numbers are supposed to mean and again I'm assuming that I'm missing some icons to show what those numbers represent. I'm guessing something like 4 Ranged Strength, 60% Ranged Accuracy, 9 Melee Strength, 1 Tile Range. But trying to figure out combat information on the map without any icons gets pretty tedious especially when you're not familiar with any of the units.

There's also a bunch of text overlap that makes things difficult to read. Text often won't wrap within a box and instead just runs off with the last few words missing.

I tried to install the most recent modmods assuming that they would have modern Windows 10 kinks worked out. But both Ashes of Erebus and From Ashes We Rise have the exact same missing resources and text overlap problems.

Is this a common problem that I'm missing a fix for? Or should I use an older version of FFH2 instead of a modmod?

Edit: Out of curiosity I installed Fall From Heaven 2 0.41 and everything looks normal. I have health and unhappy icons and the units have normal # Strength, # Movement like you'd expect from a Civ 4 game. Now I'm curious why the different modmods seem to give me the same broken UI but FFH2 0.41 doesn't. I don't see any sort of Ranged Strength or Ranged Accuracy values in FFH2 so idk if I'm wrong about that or if it was just a concept added in later mods.

Edit 2: I guess I should have posted this in the modmod subforum but I was originally assuming that the more recent versions of the mod would be more stable.

Edit 3: And I started a new game with FFH2 0.41 and had my starting warrior disappear off the world map on Turn 20 with no explanation whatsoever. Bug? Feature? Who knows!

Last edited:
I'm gonna answer for the AoE Part. I'm not certain why exactly for AoE but not FFH, but the modmod requires patch 3.19 to not have the display issues. If you're using the steam version, it means activating the original_release beta

Hm, isn't patch 3.19 the most up to date BTS patch? My game says I'm already running Version 319 Build 3.1.9.0 (128100).

I just finished my first vanilla FFH2 0.41 game as Luchuirp. I had one of my first wood golems disappear early on without a notification but I was playing on an easier difficulty to learn the mod so I didn't have many problems. Wish I knew what I was doing wrong to cause crucial early game military units to just disappear off the map with no enemies around.

Yes I'm using Civ 4 on Steam atm. Going to try to figure out what "activating the original_release beta" means so I can try to get AoE working without the all of the text and display problems. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Found your post https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/final-fixes-reborn.493730/page-181#post-15317493 that explained how to activate the beta thing in Steam. It worked like a charm and seems to have fixed all the problems in Ashes of Erebus. Thanks a ton!

Last edited:
Top Bottom