Mistforms

Bickendan

Warlord
A Mistform attacked a Scout defending four Workers.
The Scout managed to flee combat, yet the four Workers were removed from the map anyway.

Uh, what?

I was expecting the Mistform to kill the Scout (as it had killed the Axeman on the previous turn), and thus killing the four Workers. BUT, if the Scout manages to withdraw from combat, shouldn't the Workers then be preserved?
Secondly, since the Scout is a Recon unit, shouldn't it be able to see the Mistform to begin with?
I can accept that a Scout might not be able to, but a Hunter can, but I'm 11 turns off from Hunting on this particular build, and X number of turns from a Hunting Lodge and thus a Hunter.
However, as Mistforms seem to be operating under the same principles as a Giant Spider et al, a Scout *should* be able to see them. Whether any accompanying units on the stack would be effective against them, I've no particular qualms; said Mistform could theoretically defeat Auric Ulvin just from being ethereal for all I care so long as a Scout can see it (ok, that's a bit imbalanced but I think my point is clear).

Giant spiders have the tag <Invisible>INVISIBLE_ANIMAL</Invisible> but mistforms do not. Instead they have the promotion Invisibility which does not function the same way. To see mistforms I think you need either the perfect sight promotion or the crown of brilliance. Perfect sight is only normally available to recon and archer units and requires sentry 2 (combat 1, combat 2, combat 3, sentry 1, sentry 2, and then perfect sight).

When the scout withdrew he fled the square he was in which allowed the mistform to enter that square and kill the workers.

when a unit withdraw when defending, it moves tile, and if no combat unit remains, the attacking unit advances... thus the mistform advances on the workers...and eats them.

For invisibility: "true" invisibility, the one of mistforms and shadows and of the Esus Holy Shrine are only seen through perfect sight, crown of brillance.... and I think the summon "Seeing eye" (I think): Metamagic I spell...
however, if you are not amurite, it'll be hard to get that spell early-ish

Hawks can see units with the Invisible promotion. You probably thought that your Hunter saw a Mistform because the Hunter was carrying a Hawk.

On the other hand, Hawk can't see Giant Spiders, if I recall correctly, which is rather funny. (Having an overhead view of the landscape doesn't let them spot hiding arachnids of unusual size, but does pierce magical invisibility? Um, okay...)

Top Bottom