1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod in MP issue!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by Verkinix, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Verkinix

Verkinix Chieftain

I posted this in the warlords discussion, but no one replied, so I'm thinking I posted in the wrong area. Anyway, here is my earlier post with hopes that someone will be able to help!

Ok, so I recently got Warlords. After a little tinkering, I figured out how to get my mod from Civ4 to work in Warlords (basically re typing everything using the warlords files). Futher, the new mod works great. I've worked out all the bugs and in SP it works fine. I also sent the new mod to my friend who also got Warlords recently. It works perfect in SP. But the fun of the game is playing MP using our mod. The mod for regular civ4 works fine in MP. But when enter Warlords internet game, One of us starts the game, but the game never displays in the game selection window. We press refresh a dozen times and nothing comes up. When hosting the game, all of the custom civs come up just fine. I have tested several aspects to the modding system and cant seem to resolve this issue. I have made a "test" mod where it only has the folders I use. We are able to join the game just fine. Then I've added an xml file directly from the warlords main folder into the respective folder for the mods, unmodified, and the game never shows up in MP for my friend. This is really irritating. We can play a normal game fine, but not a modified game that is using the exact same files or even unmodified files in the mods folder. If anyone has any idea why the game would be doing this, please help. We are both running 208 version of warlords and are using the exact same files and folders for the mod. The similar mod does work in regular civ4 for us in MP. I'm not understanding why the mod isnt working in warlords.

Thanks

2. Verkinix

Verkinix Chieftain

Ok, I am pulling my hair out here. I contacted tech support shortly after my first post and I have recieved no reply of any kind. I'm thinking this is due to the holiday week and those guys deserve some time off, but it doesnt help me to fix this problem.

Now I am very against cracks and stuff to play the game w/o a cd, but I resorted to trying it to see if the mods would work that way. No such luck. What's odd is that my friends and I could play warlords fine w/o the mods and with the cracks in mp, but add a mod, clean or not, and nothing. I really think the refresh button isnt doing what its supposed to. Or the gamespy system, like in other games, is crappy at best. I dont know what else to do. Obviously something is preventing the mods from "looking" alike so that the game will show up on the other ends once created. All of this could be avoided if civ would simply give the option to select a mod during setup and then transfer it when the game is starting. Thats the way other games do it at least. Even if the game had to restart to load the new mod, at least people could play with a particular mod without this rigormorle. Its just really annoying that even my "test" mod with a clean file on both sides wouldnt connect while the "test" mod with no files would. It doesnt make sense to me and all I can think that it would be is a bug in the system. I was really hoping others in the community have tried this or had some ideas on what it might be. Please do post something, even if its something simple that I probably have already tried.

Thanks

3. Verkinix

Verkinix Chieftain

So, its been a week since I emailed techsupport and havent received a response yet. I've been trying to correct the problem above to no avail. It just doesnt make any sense that a simple mod exactly copied to another computer wouldnt show up in the gamespy lobby. It seems odd to me that no one else plays MP with mods (at least thats what I've gathered from the forums in general).

I'd ask that anyone who reads this thread and plays Warlords MP with mods successfully, post here and let me know which mods you use so that I may continue to trouble shoot this issue. There may be something simple that I'm forgetting or missing that would resolve this problem. All I want is my custom civs/cities/leaders, which are all basic text additions, to be playable between myself and my friends in warlords (with the fabulous great wall lol).

Thanks for your help.

4. Verkinix

Verkinix Chieftain

Alright, I've solved the problem myself...again. Basically I moved the folder of the mod to the main directory for warlords (ie c:/.../civ4/warlords/mods) and I added my mod name to the config file in the mainmenumods = ....;My Mod. Now the game thinks my mod is a primary mod and it works perfectly in MP with my friends. If anyone has problems in the future with getting mods to work in MP, try this. It worked for me.

Thanks