[GS] modding map scripts for less mountains?

scottrossi

Chieftain
Hey everyone, hope you're all well, considering.

I'm back into Civ6 after a bit and eager to try out G&S and all the upcoming new content. My problem is that something seems to have changed with the map generation and there are way more mountains than I'd like. I'm not saying I don't want any, but I've had far too many instances where either my civ is unable to expand, or several of the AIs aren't able to expand due to too many mountains. The last straw for me was a game I just tried to start. Over half the tiles in my part of the continent were mountains, and about 40% of the entire continent were mountain tiles.

I've tried all the map scripts, my favorite being Splintered Fractal, and the Old World setting, of course, and it's still just not fun for me.

I can't make sense of the map scripting for mountains and I'm wondering if anyone here has any info or assistance? I've googled and scoured the site, reddit and the internet in general, to no avail. Things were a lot easier to fiddle with in Civ4 and Civ5. Thanks for the help!

Interesting.
I have the opposite problem: I want a map with lots of Mountain ranges and cannot find a way to achieve that consistently
I'm in a phase where I only play only Duel maps, and maybe the map is simply not big enough for the algorithm to position mountains effectively
Even Primordial, New Age doesn't produce satisfactory results

What map settings did you use to get so many mountains?
Do you have any other mods interfering with the map generation scripts?

The only map mod I have is the Detailed Worlds, but it's turned off right now because I love the Splintered Fractal. I like my big sprawling maps and civs like I used to be able to play before GS.

I haven't made any changes to the map script and it wasn't anything different. I think it was my second time hitting restart after the initial map had me in a 3 hex long mountain valley and then I got even more mountains the third time. I wish the script language was easier to understand so we could figure out how to mod them to our liking.

The exact settings, as I recall were:

Gorgo/Greek
11 random opponents
Huge
Old
Splintered Fractal
Sparse resources
standard everything else

So, I gave Huge a try, and indeed it seems to create more Mountain ranges.
Although, it'd be a lottery (or perhaps a cultural link) whether your civ will spawn near one.
I would think Gorgo might be culturally linked to lots of hills, but not mountains
A pity that the Lua.log file doesn't print useful info related to Mountains.

I've looked at the map scripts, wanting to print out more detailed info about the plots (to have more concrete data rather than rely on subjective peek after a "reveal all") but as you say, the map scripts are quite complex and the expansions have also added several layers on top of the base game.

Here's a little lua-only mod you can drop into your mods folder that will count the number of land and mountain plots on a map, and spit this data into the game's lua.log file
It does nothing else, so is set as not affecting saved games.
It does its thing when you click "Begin" or "Continue Journey" after the you are first ingame There might be a slightly longer delay than otherwise because it does take a few seconds for the code to execute. It only executes the one time for a single session of a game.
This should at least give you an idea whether you are just having bad luck or the map scripts you are using are really creating that many mountains as compared to overall map landmass.

Attachments

• CountMountainPlots.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 130

I'm back into Civ6 after a bit and eager to try out G&S and all the upcoming new content. My problem is that something seems to have changed with the map generation and there are way more mountains than I'd like.

I can't make sense of the map scripting for mountains and I'm wondering if anyone here has any info or assistance? I've googled and scoured the site, reddit and the internet in general, to no avail. Things were a lot easier to fiddle with in Civ4 and Civ5. Thanks for the help!
Since GS, the base game's map generator adds additional mountains when adding volcanoes. You can find this logic in the following file: <Civ VI install path>\DLC\Expansion2\Maps\Utility\TerrainGenerator.lua

To reduce mountains, I suggest looking for the following code:
Code:
-- Mountain?
if (TerrainBuilder.GetRandomNumber(100, "Mountain near boundary") < iMountainChance) then
  TerrainBuilder.SetTerrainType(pPlot, ConvertToMountain(terrainTypes[index]));

-- Hills?
...and replacing it with this (to comment-out needless non-volcano mountain generation):
Code:
-- Mountain?
if (TerrainBuilder.GetRandomNumber(100, "Mountain near boundary") < iMountainChance) then
  --TerrainBuilder.SetTerrainType(pPlot, ConvertToMountain(terrainTypes[index]));

-- Hills?
Alternatively you could change that line to call ConvertToHills so that you get extra hills instead of mountains.

I'm back into Civ6 after a bit and eager to try out G&S and all the upcoming new content. My problem is that something seems to have changed with the map generation and there are way more mountains than I'd like. I'm not saying I don't want any, but I've had far too many instances where either my civ is unable to expand, or several of the AIs aren't able to expand due to too many mountains. The last straw for me was a game I just tried to start. Over half the tiles in my part of the continent were mountains, and about 40% of the entire continent were mountain tiles.

I've tried all the map scripts, my favorite being Splintered Fractal, and the Old World setting, of course, and it's still just not fun for me.

We had this problem in tournaments for MP where mountains are super annoying. Check Better Balanced Starts there is an option called "Ridge Definition" if you select "Classic" it emulates pre GS mountains ridges.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1958135962

Top Bottom