Modern+ Military

I think we should get a triplane/fighter version of land/naval units that don't require any strategic resources or require iron, as some have suggested. Honestly I can't remember the last time I built any triplanes/fighters because I use my oil for landships/tanks or bombers, with the AA units doing the job of stopping enemy air units. The AA units are way too strong, both against air units and against being attacked directly, they should be extremely brittle to being attacked by melee land units, but as it stands now, they can be used basically instead of infantry units with the added bonus of being great against air units.

AIs don't handle switching strategics well, so the Cruiser (Iron) -> Battleship (Oil) upgrade is going to confuse them.
Would you elaborate a bit more about this? In my modmod, in which I add a new naval unit line (cruiser), make battleships stronger, but also require more strategics, I often notice that AI civs often keep obsolete ships after modern eras. I thought they might lack the resources, but maybe they are just confused???

Would you elaborate a bit more about this? In my modmod, in which I add a new naval unit line (cruiser), make battleships stronger, but also require more strategics, I often notice that AI civs often keep obsolete ships after modern eras. I thought they might lack the resources, but maybe they are just confused???
Just recalling what G (probably) said when rejecting another suggestion (forgot which).

Just also noting, that its exceedingly weird that the only anti-air unit in the game that cannot get 100% intercept.... is the fighter line :confused:

There should be 4 Interception promotions, IV has a different icon than I-III.

IV does not grant +25% interception chance, just more damage and an additional interception. A fighter can never get more than 75% intercept chance.

So a few followups on my comments from the OP.

1) Mobile Sam: I had forgotten how crazy OP this unit is when I made my initial comments. AA guns are bad enough, but the fact that Mobile Sams auto kill a Dogfighting III Jet Fighter who is air sweeping (and not even on the mobile sam itself) is criminal. It has too much range, too much damage, the fact that it is immune to the damage from air sweeps....its just way too good at its job.

2) Subs: So I've given subs a more aggressive look and I like what I'm seeing. Subs now do respectable damage against destroyers, and even reasonable damage against missile cruisers. But the fact that they can run in shoot and run back is huge in large naval battles where hex space is at a premium. There biggest counter is mine fields, which severly reduce their mobility.

That said, I also don't think they are dominant. You have keep melee ships as a meat wall, subs are paper if they get attacked. Cruisers/battleships are still the best way at bombarding coastlines and cities. So the sub has a nice niche now but has not replaced any of the other lines for me, so I think its in a very nice place. I'm going to try and use more nuclear subs as well to see what I think about them.

Top Bottom