Moding and Editor Question Thread:

I can't recall off the top of my head how/if snow volcanoes work?
I think they have to be in the midst of snow mountains.
Sadly not. Placing a Volcano in the middle of Snow-Capped Mountains does not produce a Snow Volcano and neither does placing the Volcano first and then surrounding it with Snow-Capped Mountains.

In fact, I have never been able to place a Volcano making use of the "Volcanos-snow.pcx" graphics, but just in case anyone knows how to accomplish this ... then please share. :)

They probably work exactly like Snow-Capped Mountains(controlled by a variation bit?), but Firaxis just forgot to include them in the editor on the list over placeable terrain.

Sadly not. Placing a Volcano in the middle of Snow-Capped Mountains does not produce a Snow Volcano and neither does placing the Volcano first and then surrounding it with Snow-Capped Mountains.

In fact, I have never been able to place a Volcano making use of the "Volcanos-snow.pcx" graphics, but just in case anyone knows how to accomplish this ... then please share. :)

They probably work exactly like Snow-Capped Mountains(controlled by a variation bit?), but Firaxis just forgot to include them in the editor on the list over placeable terrain.

:( Too bad they don't work like Balthasar thought. Good thought on the variation bit. I took it for a spin in the hex editor just now, trying to get the game to display a snow-covered volcano.

And the result was... I couldn't get it to happen. I tried the most likely candidates of the C3C bonuses (binary) byte, where the snow-capped mountains are stored, but none of them affected the volcanoes. I also tried setting every bit there, just in case, but that didn't do anything, either. So then I tried setting bits in the "bonuses (binary)" byte, that doesn't appear to be used in Conquests, as well as setting the real/base terrain half-bytes that as far as was known weren't used in Conquests. Nothing there, either :(.

There's still a chance that it might work in PTW and not Conquests - for some reason a few of these bytes were moved in Conquests, and perhaps snow volcano functionality was lost with that. Doubtful, but it would explain why the art was included in the first place. My guess is it's more likely the artists were ahead of the programmers, it didn't make PTW, and it was forgotten about afterwards. We know there were spurious text files included in Vanilla, so an unused terrain file wouldn't be too surprising.

I tried the most likely candidates of the C3C bonuses (binary) byte, where the snow-capped mountains are stored, but none of them affected the volcanoes. I also tried setting every bit there, just in case, but that didn't do anything, either. So then I tried setting bits in the "bonuses (binary)" byte, that doesn't appear to be used in Conquests, as well as setting the real/base terrain half-bytes that as far as was known weren't used in Conquests. Nothing there, either :(.
Doh! :sad: I suppose this includes LM-flag combinations as well?

Doh! :sad: I suppose this includes LM-flag combinations as well?

The LM-flag is part of the C3C Bonuses. However, landmark volcanoes do work. AFAIK you are still limited to standard volcano graphics, but you can give special tile yields to the LM Volcanoes.

The LM-flag is part of the C3C Bonuses. However, landmark volcanoes do work. AFAIK you are still limited to standard volcano graphics, but you can give special tile yields to the LM Volcanoes.
Yeah I know, but if the Volcanos-snow.pcx graphics had been available then you could have used that for standard Volcanoes and regular Volcano graphics for the LM version (to make 2 completely seperate terrains - looks and stats - with Volcano type effect).

EDIT: Oh well.

let me call the Forbidden Palace small wonder a secondary hub , for the question ı want to ask . How many secondary hubs can one have ? All the scenarios ı have seen allows only one addition which you can build and use with a specific goverment type , can ı add 5 , 10 ?

You can add as many as you like, but do remember that the number of cities needed to build them doesn't change when you've built previous Forbidden Palaces. :)

thanks . Regarding city numbers does that mean ı should lower the required numbers if ı want to add more hubs ? Say from 10 to 4 ? Would that penalize the AI , since ı was planning to have those hubs only available to me for unit auto-production ?

thanks again . Let me dabble around a bit and ı think ı would have a few more of such questions .

I'm thinking about, is there a possibility i could add more natural disasters into my game? and is there a possibility i could add more worker jobs, like build a farm? if so... how any pointers will help

I'm thinking about, is there a possibility i could add more natural disasters into my game?
Something like pollution? Not likely. There are nature units available for download - such as thunderstorms. So a "nature" civ could fulfill that function.

and is there a possibility i could add more worker jobs, like build a farm? if so... how any pointers will help
:nope: Hard-coded afaik.

Top Bottom