[MoO] MOO2: Galaxies and Starting Positions of Opponent Races

Per-aa

Chieftain
New member here, big fan of nearly all 4x games both historical and space related.

What I have been intensely curious about and have yet to be answered by doing internet searches so far is this one question I have: Is there any way to place opponent AI races in a galaxy in Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares? (this has nothing to do with the new Steam MOO redo.) If anyone knows of a mod or a hack that can design galaxies and place/seed race starting positions I would be very appreciative if someone can spell it out for me or at least point me in the right direction. The past few games I have played have really annoyed me by being overwhelmed before my galactic empires really have a chance of taking off. Many times I get stuck in a corner, my technology lags behind, or I have a neighbor that is much too close in early game.

I did a search and there is a "balance" map gen listed on github. No idea, if that would work for you or how it works. Back on the Atari forums I talked to someone that made a map editor, but I never tried it and the boards are gone now afaik.

You can download and install MOO2 fan patch (currently v1.50.18.1) then play the Mirror mod. It should place players at symmetrical positions with same planets around for a very fair game. You can also get O2M with the same results, but easier to manage, your choice. You may also edit the Mirror mod if you know a bit of Lua to control placement, but that's a more advanced solution. You can find links for these right here, on the same forum.

And probably the easiest way, you can try Corion2 (it's a MOO2 save game editor, http://www.moo3.at/moo2/files.php) that can be used to edit saved games, move stars around and other stuff: start a game, save it, then load it into Corion2 and move home worlds to where you want them.

Top Bottom