More Storage?

historix69

Emperor
For fully grown cities I often run into problems with available storage.
Buildable storage in the game is limited and expensive. There are 44 different goods (although food does not count.) Having only one cargo load (= 300 pieces in marathon) of each good in storage would probably already exceed buildable storage. Especially when allocating and refining ALL the types of raw materials in a hub city with good food supply and several factories, storage is almost always at it's limit.

Therefore I had the idea to add some extra storage to all the productive buildings, representing factory internal storage for raw materials and produced goods. This probably can be done by a simple xml-editing (<iYieldStorage> in CIV4BuildingInfos.xml).

I also thought about cloning the highest warehouse with higher storage value so that the player could build kind of additional storage expansions.

Lumber and Stone does not count to the limits as well.

I personally edit the highest warehouse level to have double its intended storage capacity, so I can have one hub (mostly starting colony) for export to Europe.

Please upload your edited values for comparison!

Again, definitely an absolute no - for WTP core mod at least. (Team member veto.) :nono:
We will not balance eveything is so simple that there is no more challenge and no more need for strategic decisions.

If you want to balance it differently you are of course free to do so in your private mod. :thumbsup:
But WTP (based on RaR) is not balanced as it is by coincidence ...

----

Summary:

No
for WTP core mod.
But of course you can do everything you want for your private balancing.
And of course you can also share that balancing with others.

Of course storage limit can be avoided with careful micromanaging.But then again, this is a game, and question is do we want micromanaging for something like this?

Of course storage limit can be avoided with careful micromanaging.But then again, this is a game, and question is do we want micromanaging for something like this?
That is basically a personal taste discussion. :)
1000 players will have 1000 personal tastes. :dunno:

Answer to that is simply:
Configure whatever you like in your personal version. :thumbsup:
If you want to also feel free to share it with others.

If you want to continue discussing your personal tastes that is perfectly fine. :thumbsup:
Otherwise for changing the balancing of WTP core mod the answer has been given:
No for WTP core mod.

I see absolutely no problem in storage limit as it is. If you need to stockpile something, like horses, guns or blades for future army, just build some cheap transporting units (haven't performed careful calculations, but looks like the trek is a good choice).

I would certainly re-mod it back myself if this ever gets too much simplified :)

Organizing cargo is IMHO part of the middle game, if you got it running once the system is stable and needs no further user input (production values to not fluctuate),

XSamatan

Having only one cargo load (= 300 pieces in marathon) of each good in storage would probably already exceed buildable storage.
Storage buildings should increase in size with slower games at the same rate as transports do. If it's 300% of normal for transports, colonies should be able to store 300% of normal as well. If not, then that's a bug because that's clearly the intention in the code.

If it's 300% of normal for transports, colonies should be able to store 300% of normal as well.
That is exactly the case. :thumbsup:
Storage (both in Ships and in City) scales with Gamepspeed.

Guys, please let us not invent bugs and issues where there are none.
This is 100% again just personal taste and I am honestly really fed up with wasting valuable modding time with such discussions ... :hmm:

Again:
  • There is no bug.
  • There is no balancing issue.
  • This is just personal taste.
-----

See the prove here:
I see absolutely no problem in storage limit as it is.
I would certainly re-mod it back myself if this ever gets too much simplified

---------

The answer has been given already very clearly:
Summary:

No
for WTP core mod.
But of course you can do everything you want for your private balancing.
And of course you can also share that balancing with others.

---------

Do whatever you want in your private version. :thumbsup:
Share your changes if you want. (e.g. in attaching XML files here.)

Otherwise let us simply stop this useless disscussion about personal tastes now ...

Last edited:
Lumber and Stone does not count to the limits as well.

I personally edit the highest warehouse level to have double its intended storage capacity, so I can have one hub (mostly starting colony) for export to Europe.

Please upload your edited values for comparison!

Where can I edit the warehouse

Where can I edit the warehouse
...\Assets\XML\Buildings\CIV4BuildingInfos.xml.
Click Find.
Search for Warehouse and Building_Warehouse will come up first, which I think is the Storage House in the English translation.
Look for <iYieldStorage> and change the value right next to it to what you want.
Search for Warehouse again and you will get Building_Warehouse_Expansion, which I believe is the Warehouse in the English version of the mod.
Search for <iYieldStorage> again and change the value right next to it to what you want.

I'm confused by this post. This game, even in vanilla, has infinite storage. There is no unit stack limit. You can just build transport units and your problem is solved.

I agree. I want every transport unit that sits in a town for longer than 5 turns while filled with goods to spontaneously combust to keep things more interesting.
I've just read the description of your submod. Now I understand your comment, are you that sort of players who think like "suffering=fun"? :lol:

Buildable storage in the game is limited and expensive. There are 44 different goods (although food does not count.) Having only one cargo load (= 300 pieces in marathon) of each good in storage would probably already exceed buildable storage. Especially when allocating and refining ALL the types of raw materials in a hub city with good food supply and several factories, storage is almost always at it's limit.

Therefore I had the idea to add some extra storage to all the productive buildings, representing factory internal storage for raw materials and produced goods. This probably can be done by a simple xml-editing (<iYieldStorage> in CIV4BuildingInfos.xml).

I also thought about cloning the highest warehouse with higher storage value so that the player could build kind of additional storage expansions.

Im with you at this and in opposite to rays claim ;) its in my opinion NOT balanced, because of a simple fact, its the same storage amounts for 1 tile and 2 tile radiant.
In 2 tile radiant your citys produce much more and therefor the already low available storage is imo way to insufficiant. Atleast for a Hubcity. But as you already found its simple to mod it on your own.
Fe. you could double or even triple the storage amount of the last warehouse extension and make it cost more. So that this building will only have any value for hubcitys.

This kind of micromanagement also bothers me, so that I simply took twice the storage capacity for ALL buildings that grants storage.

To put the wares into containers/trecks/galeons as proposed by many is NO solution because then this wares arent available for the automated traderoutes, which is in many circumstances subpar in my eyes.
But I use them with exact these intention, if I have wares that shouldnt be accessible by trade routes, for example muskets that im gathering for d-day or similar....

Last edited:
Im with you at this and in opposite to rays claim ;) its in my opinion NOT balanced, because of a simple fact, its the same storage amounts for 1 tile and 2 tile radiant.
In 2 tile radiant your citys produce much more and therefor the already low available storage is imo way to insufficiant. Atleast for a Hubcity. But as you already found its simple to mod it on your own.
Fe. you could double or even triple the storage amount of the last warehouse extension and make it cost more. So that this building will only have any value for hubcitys.

This kind of micromanagement also bothers me, so that I simply took twice the storage capacity for ALL buildings that grants storage.

To put the wares into containers/trecks/galeons as proposed by many is NO solution because then this wares arent available for the automated traderoutes, which is in many circumstances subpar in my eyes.
But I use them with exact these intention, if I have wares that shouldnt be accessible by trade routes, for example muskets that im gathering for d-day or similar....

It would have made a very interesting D-Day indeed, if the guys invading Gold, Juno, Sword and Omaha beaches would have been wielding MUSKETS gathered since the founding of the colonies... :ar15: :popcorn:

I'm confused by this post. This game, even in vanilla, has infinite storage. There is no unit stack limit. You can just build transport units and your problem is solved.

No, because it is about automation. With a hub layout vast amounts of goods can accumulate in one place before being moved on, and it doesn't take much to overwhelm the default storage limit.

In my modmod I done similarly as @Barra
So storage space is about 150 - 250% for all storage buildings (all buildings which grant at least some space).
(+ the changed <iStoragePercent> in GameSpeedInfo.xml for all)

But because yields/ production(among many others) are already different (in that modmod) - improved yield incomes from lands/ bonuses/ slaves/ some other units/ improvements -> that makes overall no difference in ratio (how much you can produce/ keep in storage - eg. you will run out storage cc. just about the same time). :undecide:

That not working:
1. There is only "universal storage" -> not storage by yield type.
To change that is complicate things AND ruin performance. Imagine when system use a different one for 44 goods, in all settlements. :crazyeye:
In this the original performance friendly universal storage -> I do agree with.

2. Buildings had (? have?) types which forbid that.
Anno (vanilla or TAC era?) I tried to edit different buildings to add extra storage by the <iYieldStorage> and for some reason that did not work.
Just worked on buildings which are warehouse by <SpecialBuildingType> (SPECIALBUILDING_WAREHOUSE) and others which already HAVE some <iYieldStorage> like: basecamp/ further levels, markets, etc...

So for example the illogical (game fact) still persistent: docks/ further levels DO NOT grant extra storage. :rolleyes: :mad:

But probably that changed (?) and only I failed to notice that when imported my mod to (TAC? RAR?) as modmod.

So in the future I will have many modding questions about buildings which I cannot figure out in the past, or things which are became possible with RAR/ WTP. :help:
Already opened topics for that purpose: Modding -

---

As for global storage:
1. In GameSpeedInfo.xml:
<iStoragePercent> increase that to increase the multiplier for all buildings (which are grant storage space) -> then you will have more storage, while population growth/ materials needing for buildings remains the same (or decrease them as well).

2. TRAITS:
Use <iStorageCapacityModifier> for global change (there are already 4 traits which use that), which can be added to:
  • FF (Founding Fathers)
  • Civilizations
  • Leaders
  • When you start war of independence

---
As for the HUB problem:
Note: not sure about the ones bellow - never tried.

1. There are a few high-end buildings which are considered "national wonder", and there are just 1 possible from that. Can increase those storage space if you wish. Off course then must build those in the desired city.

2. There is the event of the founding first colony. Probably can edit (? - not sure did not tried that) that as well to grant some extra storage. If possible by events can add new events as well for that.

---

3. Introduce new features both for HUB/ global (-> but that leads to another topic), like:
  1. Capital colony (city, settlement) with bonuses/ buildings which affect just that city
  2. Choose starting bonuses for your nation (when start the map)
  3. Add new buildings for the game (problematic - space is limited right now) which can grant storage (probably new buildings as for certain nations only -> there are plans for that).

Last edited:
Top Bottom