more Traits and more Founding Fathers [IMPLEMENTED]

Ok, I now have eveything I need and can implement the Founding Father images in XML. :)
  • Benjamin Kissam: Founding Father for new feature "Crime and Law"
  • James Cook: Increases chances of Unique Events for Goodies on Ocean + Gold Increase for Gold Goodies (on Ocean)
  • Louis Jolliet: Increases chances of Unique Events for Goodies on Land + Gold Increase for Gold Goodies (on Land)
  • Robert "King" Carter I: Reduces time for Improvements "growing" from Level 1 to Level 2

Attachments

• 4_New_Leaderheads.JPG
    4_New_Leaderheads.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
If there is still a need for Founding Fathers, I have one more candidate. Admiral William Penn. Now one or the other will say we already have a William Penn. That’s correct so far. However, the previous William Penn (a Quaker and founder the colony of Pennsylvania) was the son of Admiral William Penn.

Admiral William Penn was commissioned in 1655 to conquer the Spanish island of Hispaniola (Today's Haiti and the Dominican Republic), but failed because of the fierce resistance of the Spanish garrison. He then turned his attention to Jamaica, and conquered the island for the English crown. Jamaica was also the location of the famouse city of Port Royal.

I would therefore suggest Admiral William Penn be assigned to the Military Founding Fathers.

Possible bonuses:
  • Additional combat bonus against pirate ships
  • The pirates leave you alone (I don't know if this is feasible)
  • Higher selling prices in Port Royal because the city was plundered (Would then fit more to the commercial founding fathers)
  • You get some pirate ships (Which is actually not logical, because the island was conquered by the English crown)

@Raubwuerger
Actually those are nice trait modifiers that would be worth a Founding Father. :think:
(So far Africa and Port Royal have not really been reflected in traits specifically but are important features.)
  • Higher selling prices in Port Royal ---> Admiral William Penn
  • Higher selling prices in Africa ---> ???
Would you like take care of the following todos (mainly research / finding images)?

1. Find good quality images of Admiral William Penn ? ("higher selling prices Port Royal")
2. Find another suitable Founding Father for "higher selling prices Africa" + also good quality images?

----

After that, I could implement those 2 as Founding Fathers as well. :thumbsup:
(Of course they can get a few additional bonusses or Units - but the ones above will be their "core traits".)

Otto Friedrich von der Groeben.
I really need images in colour. :)
Otherwise, I do not think we alreay have him.

This images one is not perfect (considering resolution), but it might work:

Attachments

• von_der_Groeben.jpg
    von_der_Groeben.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 363
I have found a founding father for Africa. However, he doesn't quite fit into the timeline, he was born only 10 years before Independence Day (1766). He was a successful entrepreneur (sail maker), and made great profit. Not with slave traders, though.

Possible bonuses could be:
- Better selling prices for sails and ropes in Africa, and possibly a lower buying price for hemp.
- Also, the negative effects of slaves in a city could be reduced.
- Or all African slaves are converted into freed slaves
- Or a handful of freed slaves can be obtained ...

upload_2021-10-14_19-44-25.png

I have found a founding father for Africa.
Sorry but again I need good quality images not something like this.
That is definitely not good enough to create a Founding Father image from.

If you need orientation for the image quality I need, please check this post.

Last edited:
@raystuttgart
Sorry, but I can't see exactly what is a good portrait for you. For James Forten, which is the name of the founding father, there are not many pictures on the internet.
I have two more on offer. But the second one is an actor, there is probably also a film about James Forten.

upload_2021-10-15_7-47-17.png

Sorry, but I can't see exactly what is a good portrait for you.

Comparable quality as the images used for these Founding Fathers in the Spoiler.
(Or simply check all other Founding Fathers we already have.)

In other words:
Top quality, coloured and realistic paintings. --> Just like the ones we already use.
(No low quality painting and no real life photo.)

See here:

Spoiler :

Last edited:
Ok, we found 3 famous historical people with good enough images to create a Founding Father.
(Both of them related to colonial history and both fitting into the time period.)

Otto Friedrich von der Groeben
(I will use him for "Slave Price Reduction in Africa".)
Already the Founding Father image I created from above.

Vasco da Gama
(I will use him for "Better Africa Trade Prices")

Admiral William Penn
(I will use him for "Better Port Royal Trade Prices")

Attachments

• Vasco da Gama.jpg
    Vasco da Gama.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 338
  • von_der_Groeben.jpg
    von_der_Groeben.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 322
  • 800px-Lely,_William_Penn.jpg
    800px-Lely,_William_Penn.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Ok, I am slowly but surely getting done with the modifiers I want to add to the Traits.
(In most cases I also add according Founding Fathers.)

---------

Those 3 are the only modifiers / Founding Fathers that I feel are still missing.
(More will be needed / added, once more new features are added like e.g. "Crime and Law" / "Upkeep" / ....)
  • Modifier that reduces costs of Slaves in Africa: As Founding Father ---> Otto Friedrich von der Groeben (see post above)
  • Modifier that increases chance of Capturing Native Slaves when Fighting Natives: As Founding Father ---> Probably one of the existing Conquistadors we already have as FFs
  • Modifier that increases demand on Domestic Market: As Founding Father ---> ??? (Maybe James Lancaster :think:)

With a bit of luck I should be done with this by tomorrow. :)
(So I would have 1 task of the list again.)

Last edited:
So for now, everything important I wanted to add for old features has been added. (see here)
At least until somebody finds other important Trait modifiers that are also still missing.
But as I said, I really think we now have everything important. :)

Last edited:
Another FF is for furniture. Obvious choice would be Thomas Chippendale (1718–1779). He was a cabinet-maker in London, designing furniture in the mid-Georgian, English Rococo, and Neoclassical styles. who published a book on furniture style in 1754. After working as a journeyman cabinet maker in London, during 1754, he became the first cabinet-maker to publish a book of his designs, titled The Gentleman and Cabinet Maker's Director.[5] It is regarded as the "first comprehensive trade catalogue of its kind". (source is wikipedia) He had a huge influence on american furniture makers. I see him being in the trade line mid game. Standard bonuses would apply +1/2/3 production plus a 25% bonus to workers. There is a portrait.

@Red velvet
Thanks. :thumbsup:

I was not even aware that we were missing a FF for Furniture.
But if we do, I will add him of course. The picture seems to be good enough already.

@Red velvet
The Founding Father Thomas Chippedale is now implemented.
Thanks for noticing that a Founding Father for Furniture was still missing. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 215
Founding father for Charcoal. There are no famous colliers but iron works really increased demand for charcoal. The first attempt in 1621 to build iron works in Virginia Colony failed after the imported workers were killed by the natives. The first ironworks was established in massachusetts by winthrop the younger (failure as a manager but sucessful in financing). All the famous ironmasters in American history such as Rober Leader, Marcus Bird, Thomas Lamb etc have no portraits except one. Ethan Allen helped establish the first blast furnance in Salisbury Connecticutt. That site produced 80% of the cannons manufactured in the americas used during the revolutionary war. However Ethan Allen has other claims to fame.

So I suggest

JOHN WINTHROP THE YOUNGER (February 12, 1606 – April 6, 1676)
John_Winthrop,_the_Younger.jpg

The primary fuel for american iron works was charocoal produced by colliers. A blast furnance would require thousands acres of woodland to supply the tons of charocoal needed. This was a dirty business and considered a low profession. By early 1700's, England began migrating to using coal and coke to fuel their furnances which a new type of furnance was developed by Abraham Darcy in 1709. However in American colonies with their abundent virgin forests, iron smelting using charcoal continued until the 1820's.
John Winthrop the Younger believed that because the colonies had a cheap and abundant supply of raw materials, an iron works in Massachusetts could produce goods that could be sold profitably in the American colonies as well as in England itself. In 1641, Winthrop sailed to England to get the capital to fund the enterprise. The Company of Undertakers for the Iron Workes in New England was founded to finance the project with WInthrop as the first manager. In 1645, Winthrop secured the Undertakers an exemption from taxes and a 21-year monopoly on iron production from the Massachusetts General Court. The first site established in 1645, The Braintree Iron Works, however, was unsuccessful due to a lack of iron ore in the area and an inadequate supply of water to power the machinery.

In 1645, the Undertakers wrote to Winthrop informing him that Richard Leader, a merchant from Salehurst who was familiar with the iron making process, would replace him as manager. Leader reviewed the previous site survey and selected a location in Lynn, Massachusetts (now part of present-day Saugus) on the Saugus River. The river was navigable for shallow draft vessels and could be dammed to power machinery. The surrounding forests could be used to make charcoal. Bog ore could be mined from nearby ponds, swamps, riverbeds, and bogs. Limestone, which was normally used for flux, was not available, but through trial and error it was found that gabbro, which could be mined in nearby Nahant, would work as a flux. The new iron works, which was called Hammersmith, began operations in 1646. It consisted of a blast furnace for producing pig iron and gray iron (the later of which was poured into molds to make firebacks, pots, pans, kettles, and skillets), a forge where pig iron was refined into wrought iron and a 500-pound hammer was used to make merchant bars, which were sold to blacksmiths for manufacture into finished products, and a rolling and slitting mill where flat stock that could be used to manufacture nails, bolts, horse shoes, wagon tires, axes, saw blades, and other implements was produced. At the time, it was one of the most technologically advanced iron works in the world. Once functioning, the Iron Works ran for thirty weeks of the year and produced one ton of cast iron a day.The Saugus iron works was never profitable and closed in 1679, but established the supply requirements for an American iron works to suceed having local source of charcoal, iron ore, limestone, power and cheap transportation. Famous 18th century ironworks include Salisbury iron works in north west Connecticutt, and Valley Forge and Hopewell furnances in Pennsylvania.

@Red velvet Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

If we find an image good enough, eihter me or @Schmiddie can turn him into a FF for charcoal and black powder.
(The image above is probably not yet good enough for it. But I will also search a bit.)

Edit:
This one here is a bit better.
(Still not perfect but maybe it is good enough.)

@Schmiddie
What do you think?
Is it good enough?

Jonh Winthrop, the Younger
john-winthrop-jr1.jpg

Last edited:
So bakers are another class of workers where no one really is famous. So I found this history on the introduction of yeasted breads in france. During the colonial period, bread was regulated in France like the Germanic beer purity laws. What was sold had to meet certain standards. Yeasted bread muscled its way in as it was sold to the high class individuals. The last line of the description can be deleted as it is snarky.
220px-MariadeMedici07.jpg

Marie de' Medici (26 April 1575 – 3 July 1642) was Queen of France, Raised in Florence, she married Henri IV in 1600 (she would not be crowned until 1610). By 1644, a special type of pain mollet existed called “bread in the Queen's style” (pain à la Reine). Unlike earlier pain mollet, this was leavened with yeast, not sourdough. De la Mare, at the start of the eighteenth century, wrote more specifically that it was made with milk, which made it harder to leaven, thus requiring yeast to leaven it.
However, writers in previous centuries mention bread made with milk, but nothing about it being made with yeast. And all the details on how the new pain mollet was made come in 1667 or later. As for the queen's supposed use of this bread, it is not clear if one of her bakers came up with the idea or if it was something she knew from Florence. Whatever the case, the standard narrative is that Marie de' Medici developed a taste for bread made with milk and yeast and so popularized pain mollet made in this way. By the middle of the seventeenth century, pain mollet was synonymous with fine bread leavened with yeast, despite the fact that the bread had been known since at least the fourteenth century and had always been made with sourdough.​

Bread in France was an essential food and was highly regulated by the state. This yeasted variety of bread within Paris was an innovation and the start of a spectrum of breads being available in Parisian bakeries that went well beyond the three or four breads defined in statutes. For several decades, the various types of pain mollet were made with yeast without incident. It must have helped that, in theory at least, they were intended for a limited clientele. Most bread was still made with sourdough, as it had been since Roman times. Pastry-makers used yeast and it later came out that in some cities in France even bread-bakers did so. But in Paris its use was as exceptional as it was unchallenged.

Until 1667, the year of the “Quarrel of Pain Mollet”. This began when local caberets (taverns) wanted to purchase large non yeasted bread from outside paris which was cheaper. Litigation ensued. This led to different decisions, first by a group of doctors, who declared the use of yeast unhealthy, then by the Parlement (a judicial, not a legislative, body). In the course of deliberations by the latter, it was pointed out that bread was made with yeast in some other places in France. Unfortunately, no specific places were named. Probably, these were cities closer to the north; that is, near the Flemish, who had long used yeast in their bread. The final decision was issued on March 21, 1670 which rejected the cabaret-owners' request (so they had to buy their customers' bread from Parisian bakers) and explicitly allowed Parisian bakers to use yeast, but on condition that they buy it locally and that it be fresh. A 100 years ater this was considered a silly fight but it is France.​

@Red velvet Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

If we find an image good enough, eihter me or @Schmiddie can turn him into a FF for charcoal and black powder.
(The image above is probably not yet good enough for it. But I will also search a bit.)

Edit:
This one here is a bit better.
(Maybe it is good enough.)

@Schmiddie
What do you think?
is it good enough?

Jonh Winthrop, the Younger
View attachment 644730
I picked the image from his wiki page and reduced the resolution. I can repost the image in a higher resolution if you need me to do that.

I can repost the image in a higher resolution if you need me to do that.
The resolution will not change that it is bad quality. :)
(Which is true for most fotographies of paintings of 15th, 16th or 17th century.)

Let us do the searching, we know what we are looking for. :thumbsup:

Still to give you an idea of the quality we are looking for:
Spoiler :

(It is not just qualtiy it is also about the style.)

To create FF in quality like this:

Last edited:
Top Bottom