Morocco Strategy

If I want Petra on higher difficulties, I take Tradition. Rolling the dice on other Civs not being on deserts is too much for me, because if they are, you will lose it without Tradition.

I wouldn't necessarily finish Tradition in full, but I would definitely take the opener at least. Morocco can afford being one policy behind in terms of finishers because of how good Kasbahs are for culture.

Last edited:
I will play Morocco this weekend. What is Morocco better at ? Culture or diplo victory ?

And also I see people saying start Progress. It makes sense okay. But how about start Tradition with the purpose to place those great persons on the arid zero yield desert tiles ?

Tradition Morocco is fine.
great persons on the arid zero yield desert tiles ?
This is a bad idea. Place them on an actually good tile instead.

Players sometimes want every single tile in the empire to be good, which is dumb. You want every citizen to have a good tile, but 99% of the time you have more tiles than you do citizens. So unless you have like a 70 population city, don't plant on top of empty desert.

That is a good advise. Whenever I can place them at a better tile, I will do. Even on top of farm would be better (I think the farm gets destroyed but still better for sure).

There are situations where you are in the deep desert. Like litarally everything around is arid desert. These cities are doomed but few GPs can turn them into viable cities. Some policies give major boost to the GPs yields.

So the dilemma; culture GP strategy v/s diplo strategy. I think Morocco is well suited for both strategies, cannot go wrong either way. Why not even mix the two strategies. Very versatile Civ, somewhat on the technical side, not sure if I can hold on for the win here.

For culture-diplo mix. It means outright forget about warmongering, full defense and don't be tempted to take your neighbours capital. It also means low on science but trying to stay within the top 10.

It also means most likely abandon religion. I generally find religion not synergy too great with diplomatic. Is a plus but not enough policy.

How about Tradition-Statecraft-Artistry ? This is the pure mix. Or Tradition-Statecraft-Industry for more diplomacy option ? Or Tradition-Fealty-Statecraft-Artistry this is the killer option but delays Ideology.

Last edited:
That is a good advise. Whenever I can place them at a better tile, I will do. Even on top of farm would be better (I think the farm gets destroyed but still better for sure).

There are situations where you are in the deep desert. Like litarally everything around is arid desert. These cities are doomed but few GPs can turn them into viable cities. Some policies give major boost to the GPs yields.

So the dilemma; culture GP strategy v/s diplo strategy. I think Morocco is well suited for both strategies, cannot go wrong either way. Why not even mix the two strategies. Very versatile Civ, somewhat on the technical side, not sure if I can hold on for the win here.

For culture-diplo mix. It means outright forget about warmongering, full defense and don't be tempted to take your neighbours capital. It also means low on science but trying to stay within the top 10.

It also means most likely abandon religion. I generally find religion not synergy too great with diplomatic. Is a plus but not enough policy.

How about Tradition-Statecraft-Artistry ? This is the pure mix. Or Tradition-Statecraft-Industry for more diplomacy option ? Or Tradition-Fealty-Statecraft-Artistry this is the killer option but delays Ideology.

Desert cities are peculiar. Generally speaking, you should avoid them. If that's your starting place, you could improve the situation via pantheons (but this only makes resource tiles worthier), Petra, and trade routes. Prioritize Caravansery. Biggest problem in desert cities is food, second biggest is production unless you have hills around. If you plan on using great people improvements, I'd suggest going for Towns (big food), and Sacred Sites if you picked a founding belief that boosts their food or production (and you don't have other plans for your faith points). Another way to improve your desert cities is going Fealty, that gives direct food to each city, also gives more faith points that you might use for even more Sacred Sites and boosts internal trade routes (that you are using for feeding the city).

But all that only works well if you go tall. If you go wide, a small city in the desert might not be wonderful, but it covers land and might get some resources later (oil mostly). A city that builds its buildings is an asset no matter where you place it, and this is usually achieved through Progress style. I mean, the science and culture they provide usually offset the increased cost by number of cities.

As for your victory condition, except for some extreme cases like Korea, you can aim for whatever victory you like best, usually depending on map conditions. Just conquer one or two neighbours so you can intervene when you can't beat the progress of a competitor. Sometimes you can outperform AI, sometimes you need to knee them down so they recognize your superiority (more often in higher difficulties).

By Sacred Sites, tu_79 means Great Prophet Holy Sites, not the Reformation Belief.

Top Bottom