• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

My first post is a request for help

Second Wind

Chieftain
Hey CFC'ers
Sorry to say I've been about here for two years of ghosting on this site, and I'm only finally coming out of the walls to ask for help. I've read most of the articles for single player and am comfortable with most strategies out there for dealing with the computer. I'm a pro when it comes to single-player games, from Civilization II ToT, to the current Civilization V, but a complete newb in multi-player. In multi-player, I'm getting beat down every time, with good players quickly, with decent players in the late game. I'm not looking for quick one-liner advice, but rather a teacher-student relationship with someone who will teach me the tricks of the multi-player world. I'm willing to do what it takes to be the best, but I know I can't do it on my won.

So I'm putting it out there- who wants an apprentice?... and future stiff competition?

Preferred method of contact is PM through this site.

Quick note: As I said to secondsabre87, its one thing to improve through practice with an opponent, its another thing to have a one-on-one or two-on-one teaching experience where the pupil is there to learn, not compete and survive against tactics that are to be mirrored to survive

I played another online game where I apprenticed to a legend and later became a legend myself after many months of training and practicing under his tutelage... I'm just not sure one can always improve as well by oneself vs the world.

Also, I'm already in Civ Players League... check around the middle of the rankings...
And I'll be the judge of who's helpful or not. Don't assume you can't be of significant help.

"Also, I'm already in Civ Players League...
"And I'll be the judge of who's helpful or not".

I am s ure you are. I was actually trying to be helpfull,

Don't assume you can't be of significant help."

I ve checked your statistics, and yes I am pretty sure I can.

"check around the middle of the rankings..."

The ladder is a bit broken until you got a few games under your belt. You will actually start out with a score that put s you on top 50. Then u get a huge amount of points for your first wins and loose a huge amount for your first losses. After a while it normalizes.

"Also, I'm already in Civ Players League...
"And I'll be the judge of who's helpful or not".

I am s ure you are. I was actually trying to be helpfull,

Don't assume you can't be of significant help."

I ve checked your statistics, and yes I am pretty sure I can.

"check around the middle of the rankings..."

The ladder is a bit broken until you got a few games under your belt. You will actually start out with a score that put s you on top 50. Then u get a huge amount of points for your first wins and loose a huge amount for your first losses. After a while it normalizes.

The ladder is also broken in that players lose points for being inactive. I understand the concept, but if you don't play for a few months your ranking falls of a cliff. For example, Universal Soldier was a top 3 player, then fell off the top 10 (or even 25?) for not playing for a few months. Now he is a top 3 player again. IMHO the "highest rank" skill is the only metric I find useful, and even then I only consider it useful if there are a lot of games played.

Also... it is hard enough to get Civ 5 players to switch from SP to MP... even more difficult to get them to try the league. I understand this, moving-all-at-once takes some adjustment, and fundamentally changes the game from SP to MP. In addition, I think most Civ players hate games where the opponent lets the turn timer run out every turn... I think a fix for this would be for a rotating grace period: for example, player A can't move his units for the first 5 seconds (or some other amount) this turn, but next turn can move right away and player B must wait 5 seconds to move his units. In that grace period you can do anything else that doesn't require moving units. This would give no advantage to letting the turn timer run out in regards to double-moves, which IMHO wastes a lot of time.

Skill fade is not broken it is a design feature :-/ Otherwise you get inactive players camped out at the top of the rankings that other players can't challenge because they are not active.

Our glicko skill system is highly accurate for active players, if your not active no system can peer into a crystal ball and know what your skill might be.....

I don't find it hard at all to get new MP players to join Civplayers, it is a matter of educating them. Primarily dispelling the myth that you have to be good already to join the league, when in fact average players far out number the top players in the league as they do in the general MP community.

And there is no reason to run the turn timer for months now since the patch that allowed players to move units after the "end turn", so this is now a non issue. Double moves are an entirely different issue, and yes we need a unit move timer like we had in Civ4 were units moved within the last 8 secs can't be moved in the first 8 sec of the next turn. Perhaps we will get that in the next promised MP patch, you never know.....

CS

Double moves are an entirely different issue, and yes we need a unit move timer like we had in Civ4 were units moved within the last 8 secs can't be moved in the first 8 sec of the next turn. Perhaps we will get that in the next promised MP patch, you never know.....

I'm hoping for something like this.

Top Bottom