1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

My game last night, Where did I go wrong

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by err76, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Mark Havel

Mark Havel Warlord

The point is to have an economy strong enough to support buying the alliance of a few City-states. This means earning at least 50-75 gold per turn so you can give them the 500 gold they need to become allied with you each time it is required. The figure I mentioned is in my opinion the bare minimum to sustain 3 CS : that's what I've done in my last game and that was just enough to still have a bit of pocket money to buy a few hex, a reinforcement unit or something like this.
    Then, you should discover all the advantages there is to be good friend with a CS: they give you food, culture or military units and all their interesting luxury resources, which should pretty much alleviate your happiness problems. At least in my last game, I didn't have to build any happiness building for a very long time due to this (and a bit of luck in the map which allowed me to have a lot of different happiness resources by myself or from trade). Note that I haven't tried the militaristic way of playing that much (well I've done it once I beelined to mechanized infantry...), so this might not quite apply to your case.

There is no secret to have a decent economy: spamming trading posts is the way to go, with money buildings all along the way. The silver, gold and gems resources are quite useful too. Then, you should focus your cities toward some particular specialities (science, hammer, money, great persons...) and only build the appropriate buildings so you won't spoil any money to sustain the useless ones.

2. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Definitely, you're already on the right track. If you were going to play out a similar situation in another game, here's what I might do differently:

-- Don't build too many cities too quickly. Maybe get to 3 cities, stabilize and develop for a while (adding happiness buildings, improving tiles, etc) then build one or two more. Slower expansion is easier to manage and less demanding on happiness and gold.

-- Keep the city-states as potential future allies. If you absolutely must conquer one because of territory, wait til a nearby city-state requests you to do so. That way, you'll gain instant Ally status with one CS for bumping off another, so you're basically getting free influence since you needed that territory anyway.

-- Puppeting cities does postpone a happiness penalty from annexing, but I don't think it stops the normal unhappiness you gain just from increasing population. (I may be wrong about that, as I think this changed in the last patch. Can anyone else confirm / deny?)

-- If you want to make war, go after the AI first. Their cities are generally easier to take, and you can raze them rather than puppeting or annexing. That way you're taking cities away from your rivals but not adding unhappiness until you're ready to found a new city. Plus, if you raze and rebuild, you get control of the build queue right away, and there's no need to waste turns building a Courthouse.

Hope this helps, good luck with your next run!

3. Synchronym

Synchronym Chieftain

I see little benefit in ever keeping a captured city unless you have to because it was a capital or a CC, unless it has a wonder in it. As has been said, it's better to not take CCs anyway. It's far cheaper to start over. If there are resources there you need or desire, send a settler along to the captured city and station him there until it's razed, then build your own. No need to spend half an era building a courthouse which you then have to pay to maintain. If the only purpose of said city is to grab a resource, just spam trading posts on every tile around it and halt growth build markets, banks etc as these cost nothing to maintain. You don't need to build on the exact same spot. You can build it on the actual resource if that is all you are after--then that resource cannot be pillaged either.

4. Warspite2

Warspite2 Prince

I normally don't go for domination victories but it sounds like you had too many units early on and moved a bit too fast before things could settle down. My first couple Civ V games, I just attacked and took over many city states. Then my next games, I started to friend or ally city states. This was when I realized the enormous benefits of having CSs. Free units, food, resources, culture, etc. Now when I play and an AI civ attacks one of my CS friends, I get really mad. I once had an AI go on a CS rampage, attacked 3 of my CS allies I was getting resources from, this had thrown my entire country into unhappiness.

5. Panda_Power

Panda_Power Warlord

I think the key to city states is waiting for another civ to puppet them and then liberate them. Your rating with them will go sky high and they'll be your allies for the entire game! Get the policy that makes your relationship with them go down slower and it's even better.

6. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

Yes of course if you conquer a city with 3 luxuries you can even start the war with negative happiness, I was just giving a general guidelines :D

7. philm

philm Chieftain

There is a social policy that gives you a happy face in each city with a unit garrisoned in it.

It is even better than it sounds.

8. Perkus

Perkus Prince

I think it's perfectly legitimate to conquer a nearby city-state if it's *hostile* (double influence dissipation) and has something you really want. In my case, my 6th city was the only other civ on my small continent, a hostile one, which had the only Wine available on the entire map, as well as more Iron which I sorely needed. So, should I be bribing them at double normal cost for the entire game as most of you are suggesting? Or should I clobber them with minimal losses (I waited for a siege unit before trying it), then get money from THEM for the rest of the game as a gold-producing puppet? To me the answer is obvious. And keep in mind the bribes are more expensive now since the patch.

Nobody seemed upset at my attacking the single CS, although I'm sure it added one notch to my "warmonger" label for later in the game.

9. zimmah

zimmah Chieftain

you bought civ 5.

WRONG!

10. Ford

Ford Warlord

I think if there's a serious discussion about how to play going on, you can keep your anti-civ trolling for other threads, where it might be taken... oh, never mind, your opinion is far too important for you to stop.

11. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

+1

Should Civfanatics close down the Civ 5 forums, or are those of us who enjoy the game allowed to discuss it without being subjected to random trolling?

@ err76 - my earlier post was too brief. What I meant to say was, instead of puppeting the city states just leave them alone for now. No need to ally them unless you can complete their quests easy enough. Later when your economy is going you can bribe them as necessary. But to start, just concentrate on taking out your nearest/largest neighbor.

12. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

I don't even think you need to enjoy the game to be allowed to discuss it without drive-by flings like Zimmah's. I'm don't find Civ5 all that engaging in its current state, but I'd still like to help new Civ players learn the ropes and understand the game. At least that way I can make some constructive contributions to help other players, despite the fact that I'm not really playing the game myself right now.

People coming into a thread like this to insult a newbie and/or Civ5 should be drawn and quartered. :mischief:

13. elthrasher

elthrasher Revcaster

I like meritocracy better because if you're taking a lot of cities, it just isn't efficient to garrison them all. The upkeep costs are too high. With meritocracy (+1 happy per city connected to capital) you're linking your cities, which is good because you can quickly move defenders and reinforcements around, and you also get trade route gold. It's almost the same effect (+1 happy per city) but instead of costing gold, it gives you gold.