my issue with the tech tree and units

Sebiche

is better than you
well, for an advanced game like civ, the clunky tech tree really gets on my nerves.

why? every game has a tech tree similar to it, or do they not?

my issue is that civ is a game from the dawn of civilization to the future! and in the tech tree, there really is no future.

also with the units. no, i do not like mechanized infantry. i start missing my regulars.

in the infantry issue I think i have the solution. the player gets to design his units in something like a unit editor. you say how many men per regiment, and what the unit has: does it have armor? does it have a sword or a spear or a crossbow? etc.

after you design it, the computer calculates its stats, production costs and required bonuses.

when it comes to ethnicity, it depends on the cities background.

lets say you play as rome. your guys look like meditereanean people. but then you capture a zulu city. the percentage of zulu nationality is the odds of that city producing a black unit or a meditereanean unit.

get my drift?

now on to the tech issue.

a more abstract tech tree is certainly in order. when I his 1960's, I don't want to have the same units into infinity (and hence the unit editor). but I don't want the same techs. there should be a way for the game to begin to create techs to address a civ's problems.

for an overcrowded civilization there would be cities on water or cities underground.

but lets say that city is also in war.

it would develop better stuff for your troops.

and then the leader would pick which topic to address first.

I'm not too sure with the tech part, but I like my units idea.

I dunno, what do you think?

in the infantry issue I think i have the solution. the player gets to design his units in something like a unit editor. you say how many men per regiment, and what the unit has: does it have armor? does it have a sword or a spear or a crossbow? etc.
Sounds like SMAC.

Wodan

Top Bottom