My Life as a Barbarian

Originally posted by Ren
There is a way to actually become the Barbarians: Put on cheat mode -:eek:-, find an ai, put a couple of barbarian units right next to one of their cities andtake all the defence units from the city (by becoming them) Now you end the turn and the barb captures the city. You know select reveal map and Barbarians. Badda bing badda boom, you are the barbarians! It sucks though, you cant research any techs :(

Can you steal or aquire techs?

Hey, Cool game Enchanted Tim. You may not be aware of it, but it is possible to change the form of government of the barbarians with hex edit. You don't want to face democratic barbs in a regualr game, though... assuming you use dips to bribe lots of them like I do, LOL. Cornmaster, did you ever try the barb variant?

Or, have any of you tried playing the Pirates?

Now that I see this thread, it's very similar to the barbarian strategy, except that the idea is not to capture and hold territory; rather, to strangle your conquests for profit. The self-imposed rules are as follows:

1. Instead of regular armies, use your capital city to build lots of diplomats.

2. Instead of getting military units by building them, get as many as possible by bribing enemies or in goody huts (plenty of barbarians are very helpful here). If you load a diplomat in a ship, you can even take enemy ships over on the high seas, just like real pirates.

3. Whenever you do capture a city, do 2 things: turn all its citizens to taxmen and sell all its improvements. The people will starve and the city will decline but you'll get money.

The problem is that this doesn't work on a large map, or on higher levels where bribing costs too much.

finally im seeing people try something hard. not knocking king level and all, but after you learn to make power democracies the game starts becoming too easy. ive given the ai so many advantages. ive started them with every tech and myself none. and i win. i give them 200 year handicaps then reset the game to 4000 bc and start .. and (sometimes) win. i give them 20 cities to start the game and i win. you know when all the ai's have 20 cities you can get like 3 allies and they all shower you with techs? the game is hard to lose. but im going to try this barb thing. only no caravans. but you are darned right im keeping whatever improvements i get and yes i think ill change to democracy too. something tells me ill be spending a fortune on luxuries. techs can be acquired by trade theft and conquest. and you can pick and choose your techs so you really dont have to get them all. nor do you have to get them in any logical order. get the ones you need and skip the others. now this is a great game idea and it makes me ask ... what OTHER great game ideas do some of you have that i can try?

Top Bottom