My new favorite way to set up Hyborem.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by 24-Bit Voxel, Feb 21, 2007.

1. driekan

driekan Chieftain

I dont know about you, but I have an easier time building the tower of complacency than getting a Law Node, making an adept, leveling him to lvl 6, teching and then upgrading to Archmage. Besides, if you founded OO you've probably got a big headstart in that race.

Still, I think we're going a bit off-topic here. lol

2. mindlar

mindlar Warlord

Though for Hyborem, health and sickness are pretty much non-issues except when building workers and settlers or operating under the conquest civic.

3. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

ya hyborem is a definite exception

about the non-complacency route, takes longer, yes, but can do it for more cities and no one can beat you to it and prevent you from getting it.

4. Black Attila

Black Attila Chieftain

This is just sickening. Clearly something needs to be done to prevent such silly meta gaming. Perhaps puting a cap on Hyborem towns. Maybe 30 for the capital, 20 for all others.

5. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

why shouldn't the devil be sickening? heh

6. driekan

driekan Chieftain

It is not so sickening once you really think about it, considering the situation he was in.

He has a city with population 180. He has been increasing this population using manes, despite the fact that one "person" starves every turn. That means he has been getting A LOT of manes every turn, for a preety long time. In that situation, he could have ruled in any one of a ton of ways (Hurrying every wonder in the world, as an example), he just CHOSE to rule with a huge population, each person providing +1 prod +1 gold (priests).

That points out that the problem is not so much in having a huge population, but rather in the manes being a wee bit too powerful, considering the big numbers they can come in.

Also, when it comes to war, it isnt such a good strat at all. He can build one unit per turn. That means he can be outproduced by a more normal civ with 3 or 4 good cities. Considering the number of Manes he has, I'm guessing he's playing in a Huge map, that means a Kuriotate could have 5 supercities each building the same amount (One unit per turn). That would very effectivelly kill him.

Unless he can spam mercenaries, too, with his surplus gold. Can Infernal build mercenaries? Cant seem to remember

7. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

pretty sure hyborems cities wont shrink due to starvation

8. driekan

driekan Chieftain

I dont see how that changes the fact that he needed a ton of manes to do that, please clarify

9. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

i wasnt disagreeing with you heh

i was just clarifying that his cities likely don't shinrk cause of food ;)

personally i like how it is

10. driekan

driekan Chieftain

Got it.

Actually only played some... 40 turns total as infernal so I dont know much about how they play. After killing my own original civ in so few turns I really didn't see how it could get very challenging.

Uhmm... Should have insisted. I might have come across Basium, if the AI was smart enough to build the gate...

11. Silverkiss

Silverkiss NekoChan

Just maintain a stack of Veil Ritualists on your city and Ring-of-Flames your enemies away to solve the outproduce problem.

12. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

always a way heh

13. Vulcans

Vulcans Prince

what about if you first build the altar in a city being good before turning evil. an extra hammer per priest would give even more rediculous production

14. brainpan

brainpan Wild Potato

It's a question of timing, I suppose. In order to develop the best strategies, I would advise playing in mp mode often as possible. It forces you to compete against opponents that won't just sit idle while you "shoot the moon" with super multi-exploits.

Experienced human players are likely to dogpile Hyborem, sometimes right after he appears. Therefore, in my opinion, timing is the most critical element while playing Hyborem. I wouldn't suggest taking any more time developing that civ than what is absolutely necessary. Try to get him out just as soon as you can with what you think is the bare minimum needed to pull off a major coup.

15. Chip56

Chip56 King

Tried it.
    Doesn't work because the altar is destroyed when you capture the city.

16. Vulcans

Vulcans Prince

what about starting the game in clasical era. then the rest of the civs don't get as much of a headstart, and you can also start spreading AV before the whole world is RoK/FoL

17. bluedevil99

bluedevil99 Warlord

Played around with this tonight, and.... wow. Hyboreum is just awesome. I immediately declared war and took the AV holy city from my previous civ, and so had the palace and shrine in the same city. No need to worry about food, cities grow only with manes and never starve. So with a combination of beelining to Archmages (for Unyielding Order), the right city upgrades (forge, national epic, etc.), and razing some big cities for lots of manes, I easily had my capital up to size 120+ and, with a timely golden age, popped the Meshhaber of Dis in around 10 turns.

Then sent him and Hyboreum to have it out with the Avatar of Wrath. Just for fun ;)

18. Jamz

Jamz Chieftain

So how do you get Hyborem to spawn next to your old Civ, because everytime i try this i spawn on the wrong continent?

19. The Tyrant

The Tyrant Prince

I've only tried this once and Hyborem spawned halfway across the pangea continent. It turns out there was some open territory left on the map. It was after that happened that I found the formula that determines where Hyborem spawns. So, basically, you need to make sure there is some open territory near your own (raze a city, maybe?) because unowned tiles are given much higher priority. If all tiles are taken, there is a decent weighting in favor of Hyborem appearing in a tile owned by the researching player.

20. fe6250

fe6250 Chieftain

Is this still a legal way to play the game? I admit I'm a bit of a newby / beginner in playing this - but this looked like an interesting way to play the game. I tried my best to follow this thread and the suggestions here, but when I summonned Hyborem and took my former city - the Tower of Complacency was gone! Not sure if I did something wrong or if version 'c' took care of this exploit. Anything I can do differently?