Native Reserve - as Improvement [OPEN]

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
Hi guys,

being able to have "Native Reserves" that would ensure that some Plots stay in the ownership of Natives was requested several times.
However, I always lacked an idea how to implement it in a way that could be implemented with reasonable effort and risk.

My main problem was how to do it considering UI concept.
I also originally had no good idea how to integrate it nicely in gameplay.

Now however I think I have a good solution, that is:

1) relatively little effort to implement
2) nicely integrated into existing gameplay
3) fully controlable by the player without additional UI

Improvement: "Native Reserve"

---------------

How does the improvement work?

A Pioneer could build it on any of your own Plots or a Plot owned by a Native Player.
(Not however on Plots owned by other Colonies to prevent exploits like stealing other Colonies their Plots.)

Once the Pioneer does this, all Colonial Culture on the Plot will be set to 0 and the highest Native Culture will be doubled.
Meaning it would be claimed by any Native that already has at least a little bit of culture already on the Plot.

Once that Improvement is built, it will supress all Colonial Culture on the Plot.
(Each turn, it will reset the Culture of any Colonial Player to 0.)

--------------

What does it mean for gameplay?

This would e.g. allow to give back Plots you stole to the Native Village nearby.
But you can also built them on Plots of the Natives to prevent your culture ever expanding into it.

Building such an Improvement by your Pioneer will also increase the Native Owners attitude towards you.
Also it might prevent that you get in trouble with the Natives for stealing their land if you do not want to.

Building it may cost you a bit of money and a bit of time ... just like every improvement does.
Also as you will have no more culture on it, you will not be able to use it. It will belong to the Natives.

Otherwise the Improvement, will do nothing ... no Bonus, no destruction of Terrain Features, ...
The graphic could also be something quite simple. Like a small border stone or small flag ... or whatever.

---------------

Other small stuff:

We could e.g. also at some point in time have Python Story Events for it.
(E.g. colonists in a city requesting to tear it down so they can use it.)

If you get annoyed by the "Native Reserve" you could simply send a Scout there to raze it again.
But if you do, you will upset the Natives again, as it will steal their land once more.

Otherwise the Improvement, will do nothing ... no Bonus, no destruction of Terrain Features, ...
The graphic could also be something quite simple. Like a small border stone or small flag ... or whatever.

---------------

Comment on AI:

1) We will have to teach Native AI not to raze it ... as it otherwise might do so.
2) Colonial AIs or King AIs will not build it. (XML will tell them to never build it.)

---------------

Summary:

Solving this with an Improvement seems to be the most elegant solution with least effort.
As it is little effort to implement and can be nicely integrated in normal gameplay.

Well, it should be easy to use and give an alterntive to stealing Native Land.
It will be up to the player if he will want to use it or not ... if not, simply ignore it. (No pop-up or anything.)

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. Can other colonial powers get the plot or will it be "blocked" for other Nations, too?
It will be blocked for all Colonial Nations, as it will reset all Colonial culture to 0 each turn.
Unless they raze the Improvement of course ... which most likely a Colonial AI will not do though.

I think what Schmiddie meant was, will the Europeans, under the control of AI, be able to create such areas?

This concept sounds good to me.

It will be blocked for all Colonial Nations, as it will reset all Colonial culture to 0 each turn.
Unless they raze the Improvement of course ... which most likely a Colonial AI will not do though.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know.

... will the Europeans, under the control of AI, be able to create such areas?
No, they would not use the feature actively.
They would never build such an improvement.

This is a great idea, especially for those plots outside the 2-tile radius of colonies.

Top Bottom