• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Need help forcing start bias

Camper0769

Chieftain
The default weight in the start bias is a bit underwhelming, I've set it to Plains only to have it repeatedly spawn my civ in grasslands or tundra with a single Plains tile 3 hexes away, is there anyway to increase the weight of the bias or have the map generator create a tile set around the start?

What numbers did you use? For example, I created the following code:
Code:
INSERT INTO StartBiasResources (CivilizationType, ResourceType, Tier)
    VALUES ('CIVILIZATION_GERMANY', 'RESOURCE_STONE', '2');

INSERT INTO StartBiasRivers (CivilizationType, Tier)
    VALUES ('CIVILIZATION_GERMANY', '2');
And so far, in all starts I generated, Germany started at a river with at least one stone resource nearby (sometimes 2 or even 3). I think you might have used higher numbers, which seems to translate to "less important".

But it might also be that resource or river bias is much more reliable than terrain. I've often seen Russia start on Plains or Grassland that was like one city distance away from Tundra, but they "only" have a value of 3. To be honest though, I haven't messed around much with terrain bias.

What numbers did you use? For example, I created the following code:
Code:
INSERT INTO StartBiasResources (CivilizationType, ResourceType, Tier)
    VALUES ('CIVILIZATION_GERMANY', 'RESOURCE_STONE', '2');

INSERT INTO StartBiasRivers (CivilizationType, Tier)
    VALUES ('CIVILIZATION_GERMANY', '2');
And so far, in all starts I generated, Germany started at a river with at least one stone resource nearby (sometimes 2 or even 3). I think you might have used higher numbers, which seems to translate to "less important".

But it might also be that resource or river bias is much more reliable than terrain. I've often seen Russia start on Plains or Grassland that was like one city distance away from Tundra, but they "only" have a value of 3. To be honest though, I haven't messed around much with terrain bias.
Yeah, from what Ive seen the game seems to put more focus on resources and features, I've done a bit of digging in the starting plot lua file and it seems it loads the function for placing a civ next to a resource or feature before terrain, I set it to stone and every time I got stone, but even after I disabled all other start biases and went for just Plains on tier 1 it's the same result, grassland with a plot or 2 of Plains a few hexes from start.

If that's the case, could you instead (or additionally) try to use resources that tend to spawn on plain terrain? Wheat for example only spawns on plains or floodplains. It would be a bonus resource, so it wouldn't give you thaaat much of an advantage. If you don't care, you could use Mercury instead, which only spawns on plains (not on hills though). It would be a workaround in case the generator is really so wonky when it comes to terrain bias.

Top Bottom