Need help Modding VP Move Speed

Cruor

Chieftain
I played Civ 5 a ton a while ago, and I did a lot of my own modding to make the game better. I tried Civ 6 when it came out, and it just sucked... I mean the AI was so bad, I don't know how it can be even viewed as playable. R&F Did nothing to fix the AI... still unplayble, zero challenge, not going to do my rant of why its so bad but I can't play it, maybe in two years with the second expansion and a huge mod...

Anyway, it gave me the Civ itch, and I decided to come back to Civ 5. I heard great things about Vox Populi, so here I am. One thing I need to change, for my personal sanity, is movement speed. In my modding of the game, I made base speed for land units 3 instead of 2, and naval units 5-8 depending on type and how modern (I play on large-huge maps with 5 city spacing, so you can see why I like this) Anyway, I got most units to be the speed I like, but for the life of me, I can not get a few units including the Tercio and the new naval units to be faster. I have made the Tercio 3 speed in Expansion/XML/Units, and DLC 2. I checked every file in Community Balance Overhaul/Balance Changes/Units and I can not find move speed anywhere... for the Tercio or Cruiser or any new units. I found combat, ranged combat, cost, etc, I just can not find movement.

Can anyone help me out on this so I can play this mod? Thanks.

I haven't tried to mod these directly but you could always add the changes on-top of VP through a small sql or xml mod. I'm guessing 1-2 hours to figure out modbuddy and add the lines you'd need, if you're computer-literate.

I imagine that the extra movement might break the VP AI a little.. they don't seem to be very good at coping with high-movement units that can out-move the vision they have at start of turn. Still better off than vanilla, though.

Sorry, What does "Use Update" mean? I just change values for Notepad ++ directly, like Warrior move 3 instead of 2. I have found all the other units but I can not find Tercio, Cruiser, or some of the other units in VP move rate anywhere. Does anyone know where the units move rates are so I can edit them?

i think Infixo was refering to adding a bit of SQL, too. For example, look through the VP sql; you'll see many lines that begin w/ 'UPDATE'. The format should be fairly self-evident if you've already been messing around in these files as well as their .xml counterparts. You could just add such a command in notepad++ to one of the later VP files (ie you want it to load after w/e updates VP makes to these units), and not bother with modbuddy.. but if you want to use this idea on top of any new version, making a simple sql-based mod-mod will save you tons of time, I promise (you could also do this in an xml-only mod if you have more comfort there). Its really not that hard, though will require a little extra time up front for trial and error to figure out the subtleties. mind your commas and syntax if you do make sql updates

Last edited:
Ok, maybe I have forgotten a lot, but my issue is, I can not find Tercio move rate to change it... for example, I can make a tank have more movement because I can find it and change the movement... can I make a mod to change Tercio without even knowing where its values are? I can not find any of the new units, or units that are old but changed to be for everyone anywhere. Move rates are not even listed in "NewUnits.sql" for example, so where could they be getting their move rates from?

Ok, maybe I have forgotten a lot, but my issue is, I can not find Tercio move rate to change it... for example, I can make a tank have more movement because I can find it and change the movement... can I make a mod to change Tercio without even knowing where its values are? I can not find any of the new units, or units that are old but changed to be for everyone anywhere. Move rates are not even listed in "NewUnits.sql" for example, so where could they be getting their move rates from?

I think you're thinking of this more in xml terms, which requires more of these expressly defined values. SQL "update" just updates the attributes designated in the ensuing parameters... check out some of the VP sql code and compare to the full table; most won't have every attribute included, and some will have only a few (ie the ones VP changes). I'm guessing that if an entirely new (ie VP-added) unit doesn't have this value assigned, its taking a default value from some global define somewhere. probably don't want to change that value though.

Top Bottom