[NFP] New Game Modes Speculation

There has been a lot of speculation about upcoming Civs, but I am curious what everyone thinks is coming up for new game modes that are set to come out with each pack. I hope they are more historical and less 'whimsical' than things like Red Death and Apocalypse. There's nothing wrong with features like that, but they should definitely be the minority.

While I haven't actually played apocalypse mode yet, personally I find it's inclusion a bit 'meh'. I'll get around to it at some point but it doesn't really excite me. Game modes I would like to see:

Plagues/diseases
Frankly this would need more than a simple game mode. There would need to be a few units, possibly great people, a district (medical) and a number of mechanics/technologies associated with it. More expansion worth than just a 'game mode'. I'd still like to see it included though. Plagues and diseases have shaped human history as much or more than anything.

Monopoly
A game mode that focuses heavily on commerce. Perhaps adds in corporations. .

Civil War
A deeper look into loyalty. Where loyalty could have cities within 6 tiles have shared loyalty and form a free-state that could become a psuedo-civilization if not put down.

Stone Age
A new set of pre-history units and goods. This could be a free-for all type game where the last man standing wins. I think this would fit in well with the environmental effects already in game.

Conservation
A game mode that creates a new hex type - wilderness. In it there would be different types of wild animals (lions, polar bears, etc). These hexes provide faith and/or culture but would disappear as the environment worsens. Conservationists could place protected lands around them to prevent/slow these effects.

Those are a few of my ideas. What are yours?

I was thinking about a "mad scientist" mode. Basically a barbarian soothsayer that can cause a wider range of disasters unless paid or stopped with a secret agent.

What I'd like to see:

Pandemic Mode: Basically deals with diseases and the world having to come together to stop Pandemic emergencies from happening.

Monopoly Mode: I like the name of it, and better than calling it corporation mode like I had thought of. Definitely would add in corporations to the game and expand on the idea of trade routes. Hopefully tie in corporations to other victories like creating a mass media/entertainment conglomerate, think of Disney, to help attract tourists for a culture victory.

Nomadic Mode: Like the Humankind game, maybe you have to have certain requirements until you can settle your first city, whether it's requiring resources or gathering food some other way.

Mythology Mode: This one is a stretch, but you if you can add Minotaurs to Greece you can add Paul Bunyan to Canada, or Johnny Appleseed to America. Maybe add even more mythology based religions into the game like the Greek/Roman, Norse, Ancient Egyptian etc.

What I expect:
Alien Invasion?: Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they went into some Sci-Fi realm even more so than just the GDR and Future Era, but I hope that's not the case. Then again I don't mind a Mythology/Fantasy take.

To be honest, I wouldn't like to have more unrealistic/mythological modes like the Apocalypse one. I don't see alien invasion and mythological beasts as impossible things, but I'd prefer not to have them. I'd like them to focus on more historically real things. That said, what I want to see:

A mode of disease and epidemics would be pretty nice.
A mode related to corporations, I think a lot of people must want this.
Something like revolutions and ideologies would be nice.
And finally, some mode that turns religions into autonomous and alternative powers that we have to deal with instead of being something that we control.

Last edited:
I'd like to see archaeology get a little more advanced. Like digging up/rediscovering the ruins of cities that have been razed, and things like that...

To be honest, I wouldn't like to have more unrealistic/mythological modes like the Apocalypse one. I don't see alien invasion and mythological beasts as impossible things, but I'd prefer not to have them. I'd like them to focus on more historically real things. That said, what I want to see:
Yes, but when Anton said they wanted to change it up and take creative liberties, it's a possibility. I'd be fine with the mythology mode too just expanding the concept of religion without the creatures, though it would be less fun. :p

'Raging Barbarians' seems like kind of a given? Could be wave based survival against giant hordes of barbs every set number of turns.

'Raging Barbarians' seems like kind of a given? Could be wave based survival against giant hordes of barbs every set number of turns.

Why hordes of barbs? That is so boring! We want the deep ones!, alien invasion!, a meteorite that carries "the thing" inside!, xenomorph invasion! or something cooler than just wages of regular units. Anything would be cooler than hordes or barbs.

What about the raging barbarians, but have some sort of charismatic leader associated with them. They have the ability to capture your units and convert your cities until they are neutralised somehow.
I'm thinking something along the lines of the character called "the Mule" in Isaac Asimov's Foundation books. He used a kind of passive mind alteration and made anyone sent to fight him unflinchingly loyal to him.

Yes, but when Anton said they wanted to change it up and take creative liberties, it's a possibility. I'd be fine with the mythology mode too just expanding the concept of religion without the creatures, though it would be less fun. :p

Of these possibly unrealistic modes, perhaps one of future science fiction is the one that bothers me the least :p. But I would still prefer that they focus on more historically appropriate things.

Of these possibly unrealistic modes, perhaps one of future science fiction is the one that bothers me the least :p. But I would still prefer that they focus on more historically appropriate things.
It's definitely a preference. I prefer fantasy to sci-fi anyway so it was the only unrealistic mode I could possibly see me wanting because I'm not so sure that the Apocalypse mode is the only one.
In the end it probably would work better as a scenario or a spin-off game.

I’m definitely in the more historical game mode camp. I haven’t tried apocalypse mode because it just hasn’t appealed to me. I am looking forward to the secret societies game mode however. If they started going towards fantasy/sci-fi game modes I’m not sure I’ll be a fan. As for the speculation of game modes I’m hoping for an economic game mode or diplomatic game mode that expands and/or improves a lot of the mechanics already in the game.

I am not sure what they would call it, but a mode where science tech is slowed but not production would be brill.

I think pandemics/diseases will use mechanics identical to religion, rather than disasters.

The disease "converts" pops and adds pressure to nearby cities.

Infectious diseases, like religions, gain enhancements at certain thresholds.

Each time the Civs fail to successfully complete an emergency, the disease will gain further enhancements.

Later in the game you will be able to create your own diseases and pick enhancements for them. You'll use spies or a new unit to spread it to enemy cities.

You'll also have units equivalent to inquisitors to clear it from your cities.

Trade routes spread disease, just like religion.

Of course, like religion, you don't have direct control over where it spreads.

Like climate change, the impact of disease is assymetric. The pandemic might spread more aggrressively to certain parts of the world, and some Civs may gain the most from innaction.

Being affected by a pandemic comes with negative modifiers, but also open up new unique policy cards, new emergencies, and hotspots for a new special unit akin to the archeologist, which gives science boosts when researching affected cities.

For balance reasons, early game disease will tend to be less impactful, but can still grow dangerous if left unchecked for too long.

Late game disease will spawn at higher enhancement levels (like a religion immediately with 2 or 3 modifiers).

One of the final (lvl 4 or 5) enhancements for a disease achievable in the late game will be a "zombie" enhancement, because of course there will be.

It's basically going to be somewhat of a Pandemic board game adaption for Civ 6.

I'd love to see a zombie pandemic and/or aliens. Modes are a great way to add more creative things that some people won't like and some people will love since they can be turned on/off and aren't core to the game itself.

I'd love to see a zombie pandemic and/or aliens. Modes are a great way to add more creative things that some people won't like and some people will love since they can be turned on/off and aren't core to the game itself.
As much as I want a Pandemic mode, I hope they don't go the route of turning into zombie apocalypse in the normal game. That's why they made the Red Death Scenario and an Apocalypse mode already.

As much as I want a Pandemic mode, I hope they don't go the route of turning into zombie apocalypse in the normal game. That's why they made the Red Death Scenario and an Apocalypse mode already.

None of those modes are anything close to what you claim. And if done well, Im all for an alien invasion late game xD.

None of those modes are anything close to what you claim. And if done well, Im all for an alien invasion late game xD.
Usually when you have to survive zombies, it's a result of a kind of post-apocalyptic world like the Red Death. I don't think that idea is too far off.
I think a Pandemic mode can be achievable without emphasizing late-game zombie units.

They could make the pandemic/alien invasion/etc be set to kick in as a "sudden death mode" at the end of the game - if the game isn't resolved by a certain point, each turn has a progressively higher chance of invoking a random endgame situation, a pandemic, or alien invasion, or whatever. It gets worse as time goes on, and the last Civ standing wins. It would keep things spiced up once you hit the end of the tech and civic trees.

I doubt they'll introduce it, but I think it would be a fun concept. Just a thought I had reading the posts so far.

Usually when you have to survive zombies, it's a result of a kind of post-apocalyptic world like the Red Death. I don't think that idea is too far off.
I think a Pandemic mode can be achievable without emphasizing late-game zombie units.

I agree, and I dont think the people that proposes somethink like alien Invasions are talking about that. Regarding this, i think the wildlife mod, was an actual gamechanger on how I enjoyed the game. Specially loved the idea of having sea monsters from time to time. Why not giving some spice to late game by ocasional threads. Which is something the current enemy civs fail to do.

Also, I dont think talking about pandemics and diseases are thinking of anything the like. I personally would love to have diseases in the game, since is not only one of the most importang events shaping human history, but could be used to improve a lot of the game system and provide more deep. The plague scenario has some nice ideas that could be ported and expanded into a game mod. And i would like that aproach.

I even doubt that the concept of zombies could be portrayed in civi.

What i would however want is a total redesign of religious combat, and to add more depth and significant decissions in diplomacy spionage and diplomacy, specially improving the WC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom