New leader traits. What will they be?

Xanikk999 said:
With the vikings coming i know they are including seafaring.

Based on that logic, then the other trait must be the nomadic trait (see post #13) as there seems to be a nomadic theme with the Genghis Khan scenario. Maybe, maybe not.

Xanikk999 said:
I bet it will probably be scientific and seafaring.

The philosophical trait is the old scientific trait. Why don't people see that. They don't give full blown discounts to all buildings of a certain kind, only really one or maybe two in civ4. That is why the philosophical trait gives a bonus only to building the unversity. They couldn't call it the scientific trait as it gives a bonus to all kinds of great people, not just great scientists - hence Philosophical trait, not the Scientific trait.

Watiggi

I actually suggested diplomatic in another thread. It sounds like a great idea. But after some discussion with other posters we realized there are technical difficulties to implement it in MP games. The other non-AI players will still attack you regardless. The only solution I could come up with is to inflict penalty on players who declare war on a diplomatic leader (e.g. - 1happiness, -2 if you share same religion, - 3 after mass media developed, etc) because those leaders know how to make themselves look like the good guys. Other possible bonus could be less hostile responses from popping goodie huts, 25% increase in trade return, 5% discount in tech trade, etc.

Hannimal should get Seafaring+Financial because Carthage was an extremely financial center with a huge navy. But that's only reflecting his Civ. Hannibal is one of the few Carthaginians to be warlike, the rest were cowards.

Very appropriate depending on your play style might be:

Goat Herder: can build goat UU (goat is a UU which eats enemy resources gradually)

Illogical: random +s to technological advance, seemingly out of nowhere

Apocalyptic: Builds nukes +25% more quickly

Zealous: +2 extra experience per unit if you have a state religion

Chicken Tamer: can build chicken grenade UU (chicken grenade has random movement and explodes, doing random damage at end of movement)

Old Fogey: Population randomly disappears, but money randomly increases

Supermodel: +1 friendliness mod on dimplomatic agreements

Actor: Increased chances of swaying your rivals into deals that favor you

Atrocious: can build septic bomber UU (septic bomber unleashes payloads of overfilled septic tanks on enemy cities on bombing runs which progressively cause more unhealthiness and unhappiness.)

Cheater: You win!

Loser: You lose :(

smjjames said:
yea seafaring has to be one of them. where is that list of confirmed leaders and civs in the expansion?

I found one, but this list might have been updated in a newer post:

Russia - Stalin
England - Churchill
Egypt - Ramses
Rome - Augustus Caesar

NEW
Carthage - Hannibal
Vikings - ???

so seafaring could fit with the vikings, possibly with Rome, but not with the other leaders. Since the first 4 leaders mentioned are famous/powerful/legendary leaders for thier civ, the first two bieng because of WWII, Ramses is the guy who built one of the Pyramids and those big statues that are further down the nile I think, I forget the name of them though, Augustus was a major empire builder for rome. and what they all have in common is an empire (except for Hannibal). So maybe something related to empire building/management?

Hannibal (of Carthage) is best known for his elephant march over the Alps and bieng a huge thorn in Romes side for a while, and the Vikings are also similarily known for thier military tenacity and they are both invaders, so some trait having to do with war or tactics?

Ragnar, Viking leader would be seafaring
Liz
Vicky
Izzy
Hannibal
Wang Kon (Korean)
-Agamemnon, Greece-
-Canute, Vikings-
-second Carthagian leader-
-William of Orange, Holland-
-second Dutch leader-
-Tojo, Japan-
-Henrique, Portugal-
-second Portuguese leader-

So I think Seafaring will come in the 2nd expansion when, I think, every civ will have 2 leaders. About these traits now to be added...

I say
Nationalistic (-25% war weariness, -25% hurry cost)
and
Diplomatic (-2 diplomacy bonus for AI that declares war on leader with Diplomatic trait, -3 with Mass Media. +50% better outcome in goody huts)

I agree that Diplomatic isn't even an option - they wouldn't include a trait that works only in SP. That leaves for me

- a Productive trait (cheaper Factories, +1 hammer for tiles with 2+ hammers)
- a Seafaring trait (maybe extra moves for naval units, Drydocks, better hut output)

smjjames said:
Ramses is the guy who built one of the Pyramids and those big statues that are further down the nile I think, I forget the name of them though
Bad luck, no Pyramids for Ramses. But he did build Abu Sibel, many other monuments, and quite a few colossal statues of himself (you can still see one of them in the center of Cairo) :).

Well hopefully they won't do 'Seafaring' but a more general 'Exploratory' (something that would work on all maps Great Plains to Archipelago).. so a movement bonus to Naval and Recon units, and then ...Observatories half price

Inspirational
Fewer turns of Whipping+Drafting unhappiness
Cheaper Jails+Castles

I really don't see Seafaring coming in with all the sea-less map types, and the general lameness of navies at most the lower game speeds. Nationalistic sounds like a possible one (though they'd have to alter current traits so that Napolean could have it).

Maybe:

Colonial: -50% distance from capital maintainance. Can 'sea-lift' one unit per turn via ports.

Bad luck, no Pyramids for Ramses. But he did build Abu Sibel, many other monuments, and quite a few colossal statues of himself (you can still see one of them in the center of Cairo) .
alough true for ramses I, i think they have ramses II in the game.

more traits

seductive/attractive(like dimplmaitc) if you attack them villagers get -2 bonus for "you attacked my pin up girl now i get no more posters"

ugly your leader is on your battle field and has the power to stun troops for a turn. this unit only gets destored by bieng ICBMed 4 times in one turn.

sand said:
alough true for ramses I, i think they have ramses II in the game.
I was talking for Ramses II (or Ramses the Great) - Ramses I reigned for only 2 years.

sand said:
churchill won't get it.

I agree he probably won't, but - c'mon - he was First Lord of the Admiralty (1911-1915) before being Prime Minister! :mischief:

Since there is the option of a vassal state. I'd like manipulative or charismatic to be able to control the vassal states more effectively.

I think seafaring for sure, and probably pacsifist as the second trait.

Seafaring or Exploration or something else along those lines is definitely a possibility, especially with the Vikings and Carthaginians. The second trait would probably be used with Joseph Stalin, since he doesn't seem very sea-worthy, so what exactly fits him?

dictatorial?
More of a civic than a trait though. I guess that Stalin is Aggressive and industrious, although he can't be as Napoleon has those traits already.

It might not be called 'Seafaring', but might instead have a name like 'Maritime' or 'Nautical' trait. Probably bonus movement for naval units and half-cost harbours and/or dry docks.
As for the second trait, I think they WILL show some imagination, as Agricultural IS very similar to Expansionist.

Aussie_Lurker.

So how will they get around the lack-of-sea maps if they introduce seafaring? Maybe they could expand it to include aircraft or add some river orientated bonus.

Naval: bonus movement for boats. River trade routes more profitable.

1. Seafaring (Maritime/nautical/whateveryouwanttocallit) doesn't work. CivIV is laid out to maps with or without water which would diminish the usefulness of this trait to practically nothing. Instead, the similar trait would have to do something with rivers. For example free "Amphibious"-promotion to all units, more gold/production near rivers. This way, the trait could be usefull on all maps. (Free maritime buildings on the other hand would be no problem, as other traits already got those).
Another option (according to Truronian's post above me) would be to include aircraft into the trait. I second this... ;)

2. Another trait often mentioned is diplomatic. However - as often said already - the problem lies with Multiplayer. But this can be solved with another twist. Diplomacy plays on two fields, official and illegal. So, I would like to see a bonus to national (non-combat) units (Spies! and also missionaries et cetera). The espionage system could be enhanced by this trait a bit (in corporation with a general upheaval of the system). This would have great late-game impact (resulting for example in easier diplomatic victory?). I could also imagine something to do with the vassalage diplomatic option. For an early game impact, I could imagine something (already said) like +10/20 % income revenue to trade routes.

3. Nationalistic (isolationist/defensive/patriotic) is another trait often named. I'm for this trait as it something new and creative. Effects? They could be free defensive promotions, doubled impact of culture on defense, better draft system, combat bonus on own terrain and a happines bonus (similar to expansives health bonus) to cities. It'd be a balanced trait.

4. Agricultural is already covered by Expansive.

5. Scientific is already covered by Philosophical.

6. Nomadic would be an interesting trait. But too difficult to balance. How would it effect map types? what would the cultural impact of these new cities be? Nomadic wouldn't be a trait, it would be a new gameplay system. Effective, this would be a theme for another stand-alone expansion, or even for a new game... ;)

mitsho

atreas said:
I agree that Diplomatic isn't even an option - they wouldn't include a trait that works only in SP. That leaves for me

- a Productive trait (cheaper Factories, +1 hammer for tiles with 2+ hammers)
- a Seafaring trait (maybe extra moves for naval units, Drydocks, better hut output)

Bad luck, no Pyramids for Ramses. But he did build Abu Sibel, many other monuments, and quite a few colossal statues of himself (you can still see one of them in the center of Cairo) :).

yea thats the one, Abu Simbel, I just couldn't quite remember the name.

medwynn said:
I agree he probably won't, but - c'mon - he was First Lord of the Admiralty (1911-1915) before being Prime Minister! :mischief:
Churchill was also First Lord of the Admiralty from September 10, 1939 to May 10, 1940. When he took office in 1939, a message was sent out to all ships and stations "Winston's Back."

Top Bottom