1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New map project

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Michael Vick

Michael Vick #1

RFCE 2 is including all of the features of RFCE++, including unions. I love the idea of city states, the only other entity big enough to be a German full civ other than Prussia and Austria is Bavaria. The rest should be either city states or independents. The "Germany" concept we have now can definitely be improved upon, while we won't necessarily include every little duchy and archbishopric, we can do better than the current two civs in Germany while we have four in Italy.

2. urban

urban Chieftain

I'm just going to put in a vote that we don't include the Caucasus, and instead make the area between russia and the sea larger. This was we get more room for minor civs in the main play area. Wasn't that the idea behind RFCE2?

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

The WIP map I'm experimenting with has 96 tiles vertically
    The 1.0 map had 73 tiles, on a very similar vertical representation. So it's a 32% increase
    Horizontally (only checking the common areas with the 1.0 map) the new map will have about 130 (1.0 area) + 16 tiles (eastern additions, if we decide to do that).
    1.0 map has 100 tiles, so that's also 30% tile number increase on the 1.0 area.

I don't want to further increase tile density, civs will already have about 70% more territory, cities, everything.
    Small civs can have twice as many cities with a carefully planned map
    OTOH for bigger civs this will already be more than enough additional micromanagement to handle

My point is, that those extra eastern tiles won't affect how much more room will the smaller civs get in the crowded areas
    This means that we will either have a ~ 96*130 map without Caucasus, Khazaria, etc
    Or have a ~ 96*146 map with those additions

So it's only a matter of design/gameplay decision, and currently we are in favor of adding those additional cities and civs.
    They were at least indirectly important in the shaping of Europe's history - the same way North African territories and civs were

4. urban

urban Chieftain

AtR, that makes more sense, especially now that I look at the new maps.

5. Ambassador

Ambassador Peacemonger

Have you thought about the idea, not to enlarge the map proportionally but instead to highlight some regions at the expense of others? In my opinion the whole region east of Poland could be smaller and instead the Middle European war theater (Germany, Netherlands, Italy, Balkans) should be enlarged.

6. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

This would look too weird. I prefer a larger map over a distorted map.

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I want to keep the map as realistic as possible

8. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I'm pretty upset with BtS right now
    The tile grid used by Firaxis is much more distorted than I initially thought... about 0.88*1 instead of being close to squares :/
    This makes map conversions from pre-made pics so annoying

So, quick question:
    What is more important, tiles represening the same distance vertically and horizontically, or the aesthatic look of the map?

9. Morholt

Morholt Chieftain

I'd prefer representing same distance horizontally and vertically. I like to place an ice feature every 10x10 squares and put a corresponding grid on the picture, makes it easier.

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

A little more detail, I'm not sure if I was clear enough:
    I always assumed that Firaxis made their tiles squares, or something really close to a square
    And when anyone looks at any Civ IV map, it would be natural that tile distances are the same horizontically and vertically, isn't it? It only make sense this way; just think of unit movements, city founding distance, etc
    Unfortunately that's not the case, in Civ IV 10 tile distance vertically equals about 9 tile distance horizontically. I guess it was made this way because of the way zooming works, but I'm still pretty upset about it

So, our 2 choices mean:
    - Either the tile grid will be distorted.
    So, I will use a grid to the Firaxis version, and the map will look exactly the same as in the previews in the end.
    But this means distances between tiles will be strange

- Or we keep the square tile grid I used on the example maps.
    The result of this will be that the main map will look stretched in the end.
    Because every 1*1 square will be represented by about an 0.9*1 tile, it will look like the preview map stretched vertically to it's 0.9
    Tile distances will work correctly

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Btw, you can check the second version - when using an a square tile grid
    (very base version, only the shape of the coastline matters)
    When you look at the map, you can see that everything looks a little stretched vertically, despite the fact that all the distances are correct
    It's even more obvious when looking at the minimap

Attached Files:

12. Morholt

Morholt Chieftain

I think it looks fine actually. And at least on my screen the minimap is rendered at 186x121 which is the same ratio as 146x96 so there's no distortion there. If you turn on free camera and look straight down, or go to globe view, aren't the squares square then?

13. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

No, I meant that ~ 0.9 * 1 "square" size when you look straight down - or when you are in globe view
    I'm curious how your minimap looks though, can you post a screenshot?

Also, I would like to hear some other opinions on the map I posted
    If most players think it's fine, I will continue it with this grid size

EDIT: Nevermind the minimap, based on GIMP it's 186*121 for me too
    But checked again, and the ingame tiles are somewhere between 0.85*1 and 0.9*1 IMO, so the main question still stands :/

14. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

Why not make the current area, but just bigger? But with more low yielding land?

15. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

And how does that solve the grid size inaccuracy?
    It's "only" a display issue, as the pixel number is ok when checking in GIMP
    Anyway, it's quite annoying that the map look stretched on different resolutions...

16. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

Sorry, it doesn´t solve that problem. More of a general idea.

17. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Oh, ok then
    Anyway, I don't really want to further increase the current area
    If you check the WIP map, there is already significantly more room for the crowded civs
    If we decide to further increase it, I'm afraid it will result in serious performance issues

Whether to include the additional eastern territories or not, is a different question
    As I said earlier:

18. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I like the general shape of the map. I don't think that the map should be any larger, because it would create too much space between civs. (Even if we add that ones from ++)

19. artyom

artyom Chieftain

i'd love to see a bigger map even though it will have an impact on performance late game

20. The Flame8

The Flame8 Chieftain

Whatever allows more civs to be in without late game slow and crashing works for me =)