1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New map project

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Dec 11, 2011.

1. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Bigger than the RFCE 1.0 map, or bigger than the current WIP map (146*96 tiles)?

2. The Flame8

The Flame8 Chieftain

IDK whatever RFCE ++ uses, but bigger anyway

3. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

RFCE++ uses the same map as vanilla RFCE, but with some small changes for the new civs.

4. Michael Vick

Michael Vick #1

How goes the new map?

5. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Slowly
    I want to release RFCE 1.1 first, with all the recent (and currently-worked-on) changes

6. Bobby Martnen

Bobby Martnen Antifeminist

Is this still in developement?

7. Bobby Martnen

I think the new map should use Semidesert terrain from SoI

Makes a lot of sense, cause the map includes the Levant and North Africa.

Is this okay with the owners of this mod?

8. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Here we go again...

9. Bobby Martnen

I know I made this suggestion before in DoC and it was shot down.

But the reason it was shot down was

But There is a lot of desert in RFCE - North Africa and The Levant - therefore making it worthwhile.

And for RFCE 2.0 - can you please use Blue Marble terrain - it's so much better

10. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

It's not only the amount of desert tiles to make it worthwile. It's also the importance of that area. That is in fact a much bigger factor to make it worthwile. The desert in RFCE hasn't got any importance. Therefor, it's not worthwile to include it, even though desert covers up a decent part of the map.

In fact, it would be great if we could remove the desert altogether, leaving only the African coast. (I mean, you can't do anything in the desert. It won't change anything if we remove the Sahara) But that is technically impossible because we need a rectangular map.

Why addinig something to a feature, you prefer not to have at all, but can't remove it because of technical reasons?

11. Bobby Martnen

Isn't the Levant important. And Semidesert could make the Sahara more interesting and useful.

12. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

The Levant is important indeed. But the desert as it is now does the job of representing both desert and semidesert in that area well enough.

We don't want to make the Sahara more interesting. The mod is about Europe, not the Sahara. The Sahara is just something that is on the map because we technically can't remove it, as I said before.

Semidesert is a nice feature for SoI, because the desert is a very important part of that mod. For all other mods, the desert isn't important enough to be represented by both a desert and semidesert.

13. Bobby Martnen

Well since desert isn't very important to this mod, but plains and grassland is, what about a terrain type that is an intermediate of those terrains, the way Semidesert is the indermediate of plains and desert?

And can RFCE 2.0 use blue marble graphics please?

14. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Because that isn't nessessary. Grassland and plains do the job well. There is no need to make a semi grassland-plain tile.

15. Bobby Martnen

I disagree, but since its your mod, i will respect your decision

16. Publicola

Publicola Chieftain

Pardon the horrible necro-posting, but I was reading the back-and-forth in this thread, with everyone proposing all kinds of ways to remake the map to avoid a massive Sahara + Russian Arctic space. And it is taken for granted that a mod needs a rectangular map.

...Are you sure about that? Because I could have sworn I played another mod (possibly PIE Ancient Europe, possibly History Rewritten or something else) that featured a Europe/Middle East that grayed-out the uninhabitable parts of the Sahara Desert (as well as the Arabian Desert if memory serves), so even though the final map fit and was displayed in a rectangle, the playable area was in fact an oddly shaped polygon.

Sorry I don't recall which mod it was, but I definitely remember seeing that and wondering how they pulled it off.

17. Bobby Martnen

This is ironic in hindsight lol

Also, sorry for the necro, but is this larger map still planned for RFCE?