New Map Script: Hemispheres!

Grimus

I
As soon as I got BtS, I experimented with all the new map scripts to see which one I would like best. I must say, there are some pretty interesting new ones.

I wasn't too crazy for Fractal, since things could be way to snaky at times and also it created lands that were all connected making it easy to contact all the civs. Continents usually just made to big round blobs of crap that looked totally unrealistic.

I tried out Hemispheres and I love it! It forms masses of continents that aren't too round and also makes some island masses around them too. I still stick with only 2 continents with Islands, but adding additional continents works out well too.

I like the continents because it adds a missing dimension to the game. It makes shooting for Optics much more appealing just to make contact with those other civs in the "new world"... and makes Astronomy great so that you can trade with them before others do. I also makes the naval aspect more important. I don't know, that's just my own opinion.

It also controls a warmonger from obliterating everybody too early.

What do you guys think about it?

Just got it today. Good to hear that this is a useful mapscript. I was sick of fractal for the reasons you listed (it felt too easy to manipulate the AI or steam roll them).

I wanted something with more variation. As soon as blue marble is done downloading I will give it a shot.

Agree completely. The new map scripts are great if you prefer a "realistic" map - other than Terra, which is entirely predictable.

I used to play on Fractal as the "realistic" option, in that it is somewhat unpredictable and organic. But it suffers from the "snake problem" in too many cases.

Continents was never realistic. As you say, it basically creates a number of roundish blobs and nothing else. Not realistic at all.

Big and Small, Medium and Small, and Hemispheres can all generate very realistic yet unpredictable maps. (There are several variables to be tweaked, so you can get a variety of outcomes just from these three maps.)

I am very glad to hear this.

I ussaly played countinents for terra was to pradictable but I hated that it was giant squares with almost no islands.

I really look forward to Hemispheres then.

Playing with archy low sea level and snaky continents can produce some good landmasses on larger maps.

Top Bottom