New Mesoamerican Mod WIP

NEZ4

Chieftain
I started playing CIV 3 again recently and I checked the Forums for new Scenarios. I had played a couple of them before but I was really impressed by Plotinus' Rood and Sand Scenarios. I also tried the Classic Maya scenario by LastConformist which I also liked, but was surprised when there werent any others that took advantage of all the user created units and stuff.
I decided I'd try and put a scenario together and have found a ton of material (units, building, etc.) So far I have managed to plan a lot of the basic stuff (civs, map, techs, buildings, progression, units, and victory conditions.) Sandris' units are of amazing quality and they really made my planned scenario possible, but I hadn't thought of looking outside the libraries. After a quick search I realized that there seemed to be a couple of scenarios/MODS that were started but never finished. There was a Scenario back in 2006 that incorporated a lot of the same or similar civs and regions that I was planning on using (I think it was being based around the novel Aztec).

Anyway, I'll post material as I complete stuff. I am not an experienced scenario maker and part of what I'm doing is going through the tutorials and figuring out how to make the file structure work and how to use editor. I am pretty set on the size (map and number of civs) of the Scenario and even on techs and progression but I welcome any suggestions as to how to make it work. This is still well away from testing though.

EDIT These traits and the map are a pretty good plan of what I want for the Scenario but I assume they might change a bit once the tech tree is more finalized; I thought I'd show how I picture the Scenario working though.
The idea was to make a pre-conquest scenario that revolved around the Valley of Mexico, specifically the rise of the Aztec Empire. The Scenario will begin in the early 15th C, when Nezahualcoyotl and Itzcoatl formed the initial alliance against Maxtla of Atzcapotzalco. The two were joined by Totoquilhuaztli of Tlacopan/Tacuba and the Triple Alliance was formed. Through subsequent leaders and campaigns the Triple Alliance spread its influence and dominance over the rest of Lake Texcoco and eventually central and southern Mexico, establishing what we now refer to as the Aztec Empire. There were many people who resisted the Triple Alliance, the most recognizable/written about are the Tarascan people west of Lake Texcoco and the Tlaxcala in the SE. While planning this Scenario I focused on gameplay and functionality above historical accuracy; not only because its difficult to accurately translate history into the game but because I don't think this historical period is well understood or covered and I am not an expert. That said, I did go through and try and find what information is available (names, locations, and general trajectory of military campaigns.)
I planned for the Lake area to be the central and most important location on the map. It should provide the better terrain and opportunity for growth. To simulate this I have tried to put flood plain terrain exclusively in the area, but I also haven't overdone it. Mexica, Tlacopan, and Atzcapotlzalco are the three Civs that start off right on the West side of the Lake( Not sure but I might give Atzca 1 or 2 preplaced cities to simulate its strength and dominance over the other Civs in the lake area). The idea is that either Tlacopan or teh Mexica will have to take out Atzca if they plan on expanding or surviving in the lake area. I would like for them to form an alliance although, I don't know whether the T.A will be fixed or whether I can just make them predisposed to it via same culture group. I would like for one of the Civs to be eliminated early on but I don't want it to be Atzca everytime, so as to encourage replays. The Mexica will get an early U.U (and G.A) but I'm not sure about the other two. I will post about my plans for other Civs later.

The only missing resource is tribe which will be a req for tribute collector building.I also have decided on what techs, and buildings will be included but they aren't placed on any picture I can post. Traits have been updated. A lot more work has been done, and I will post more shortly.

CIVS Used--City State/Capital--Leader-- Traits-- Color
Mexica --Tenochtitlan --Tlatoani Itzcoatl -- Mil, Rel -- Black
Acolhua-- Texcoco -- Tlatoani Nezahualcoyotl --Sci(Phil), Ind -- Blue
Tepaneca-- Tlacopan -- Tlatoani Totoquilhuaztli -- Exp, Agr -- Yellow
Tepaneca-- Atzapotzalco-- Tlatoani Maxtla -- Mil, Ind -- Brown
Tlaxcalteca-- Tlaxcala -- Mil, Comm -- Red
P'urhepecha-- TzinTzunTzani -- Caconzi Hiripan -- Mil, Ind -- Purple
Huaxteca-- -- Mil, Agr -- Green
Zapoteca-- -- Ind, Comm -- Orange
Maya-- Mayapan -- -- Sci (Phil), Comm -- Turquoise

Attachments

• MesoMod WIP Map 1.jpg
    MesoMod WIP Map 1.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Meso Mod WIP Map2.jpg
    Meso Mod WIP Map2.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 87
  • MEso Mod WIP Map 3.jpg
    MEso Mod WIP Map 3.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 69
  • MEso Mod WIP Map 4.jpg
    MEso Mod WIP Map 4.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 100
  • MEso Mod WIP Map 5.jpg
    MEso Mod WIP Map 5.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 50
  • MEso Mod WIP Map 6.jpg
    MEso Mod WIP Map 6.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Meso Mod WIP resources.jpg
    Meso Mod WIP resources.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 64
Its been a while since I first posted this but I was able to do some work on it during that time. I moved around but now I loaded the game back on my computer and would like to finish this scenario. I have a lot figured out on paper and I think it is near finalized; it should only change for gameplay and balance reasons once I make it to that stage. I am going to try and put stuff up chunks at a time and would appreciate any help or feedback. Ill start with the tech tree.

I plan on making it a relatively short scenario cuz that's what I like and I think it fits this time period better. Not too many techs to research and a more simple and straightforward design. A couple techs may be moved if they fit another line better. If you can think of good techs to add let me know, although I think this is already stretching it for a single era.

Traits have been decided for each civ, and I think they work given the planned tech paths and what each civs intended winning condition is.
Trait bonuses will be:

COMM= + COMM in city center, increase in OCN.
REL= Religious buildings 1/2 price, Anarchy only last 2 turns.
MIL= Units promotion twice as likely, military buildings 1/2 price.
IND= Workers work 50% faster, starts with 1 worker.
AGR= + Food in city center, 1/2 price granary and aqueduct (maybe more).
PHIL= Philosophical buildings 1/2 price, Greater chance of leaders(?).
EXP= Start with scout, Increased chance of tech from goody huts.

Units have also been decided for the most part. Mexica, Tlacopan and Atzca have slightly different progression because of their early game and it will make more sense when I explain each civs intended win scenario.

EXP civs start with scout, and can build scouts.
At start all CIVS can build basic Warrior. 1.1.1
Warrior code brings:
Archer for all. 2.1.1 (Bombard 2)
Mexica get slightly better warrior 1.1.2
?Maya U.U 2.2.2

Pallisades brings:
Spearman for all. 1.3.1
Tlacopan gets slightly better spearman. 2.3.1
?Maya U.U 2.3.2

Warrior Cult brings:
Swordsman for all. (Sandris Mexica W) 3.2.1
? Tarascan U.U 3.3.1
? Zapotec U.U (?shirtless Atl-Atl) 4.2.1 (Bombard 3)

Warrior frats brings:
Stronger Warriors (prob use Sandris Cuachic). 4.3.1
Mexica U.U (Sandris jaguar Warrior). 5.3.1 (Selective Strike)
Tlaxcala U.U (Sandris Tlaxcala). 4.4.1 (Extra HP?)
Texcoco U.U (?Coyotl Warrior need to make). 4.3.2 (Blitz?)
Huaxtec U.U (Sandris Warrior Priest). 5.3.1 (?)
Tlacopan U.U (Sandris Eagle Warrior). 3.5.1 (?)
Atzacapotzalco U.U (Sandris Eagle Warrior). 4.4.2 (none)

Barricade brings:
Heavy Spearman for all. 2.4.1

Attachments

• Meso mod Era1.png
    Meso mod Era1.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom