New Moderator

CurtSibling

ENEMY ACE™
I would like to give my congratulations to @Blake00 in his new post as Mod! Please work with him and support him in our SL corner of CFC. :)
His energy and passion for CIV makes him the ideal choice to be representing us on the site going forwards.

PS
The reason I had stepped down, and I won't labour the point, is the hypocritical, ill-informed attitudes of certain staff members.
But I want to say that I am not leaving SL, I will still showcase the scenarios I have in the works here. If anyone is interested.

Once again, I want to be first in welcoming Blake as our mod :)

Oh wow! Thanks Curt for this post and that recommendation you gave elsewhere. :) Although it's not really new anymore as they made me a moderator back in July! A few have noticed and messaged me over the months since but I never announced it publicly as I didn't want to make a big a deal out of it, so I guess even after all this time you're still technically the first person to publicly welcome me funnily enough haha so thank you very much for your kind words! :)

I should say that I didn't expect to be handed the keys to the Civ2 forums and that was a complete surprise to me. As well as the preservation work I did here I've also been helping out the Civ3, Civ4 and Civ4Col communities with lost file rescues and fixing hosting issues with constantly had me bothering staff about fixing broken links and stuff so Thunderfall floated the idea of making me a mod for just the downloads area last year and then The_J made it a reality in July. He then pointed out that Civ1 and Civ2 had no mod and asked if I was willing to help there too and I figured why not as I already admin/mod a whole bunch of other communities so it's certainly nothing new to me lol! :) However funnily enough that wasn't the last surprise coming as my job here has changed quite a bit again after it became apparent that CFC needed help on running their social media pages. The official CFC FB was inactive, the CFC reddit was controlled by fans & was dead, the CFC Discord was also controlled by fans and was dead too, and only the CFC Twitter was all good thanks to The_J running it. So yes if any of you have noticed lots of CFC Civ news posts on FB & Reddit over the last few months (copied from The_J's posts on the homepage), that's been me lol! Haven't quite got a CFC Discord running yet though as there's some logistical troubles I won't bore people with.

At some point I plan to make some nice new pinned 'welcome and information' threads in Civ1 & 2 to help people find the latest editors, scenarios, and guides etc and will likely need community help on that to make sure nothing good is missed however for the moment my focus is still on finishing my Civ2 scenario projects and videos as it's been years now (due to me doing all the preservation work instead) and people have waited long enough lol!

I'm sorry to see you've stepped down and that things couldn't be worked out, it's huge a loss, so I'm very relived to see that you're staying and still working on your cool scenarios as you would be missed mate! I should point out that I was originally instructed not to interfere in the SL as you guys run yourselves, which I knew anyway. However I can see that I do have mod access to this section so if trouble arises with a spammer and SL staff are absent I can certainly jump in and deal with it if needed. :) There should probably be a discussion about who is worthy of replacing your SF staff position though. Since I'm already in the regular Civ2 staff position and the SL has traditionally been it's own corner of the internet it feels like a bit of conflict of interest for me stick my nose in your business too lol. You and Techumseh and others contributed for decades before taking your positions and I've only been here a few years so I feel like I haven't really earned that position. Plus I'm not sure if the forum even technically allows a user to have 2 different staff positions (with their own different permissions) on a single account so that probably rules me out of contention no matter what anyway lol!

It's totally 100% up to you and @techumseh to decide who it should be but @Prof. Garfield (who already has full admin access to the SL wiki too) , @Knighttime , & @JPetroski have all done so much for the SL & Civ2 community over the years and helped so many people so they'd all make great candidates in my book! :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Damn.. I was sad to see Curt stepping down but losing you too Techumseh means there's no longer any active SL staff making this the end of an era that started all the way back in 1998! Sad times indeed!

Well if the invisible walls between the SL & the rest of the forum are crashing down then and people want me to I guess I'll include the SL forum in my mod duties. I'm getting stretched pretty thin though so if there's a problem I may not see it without a tag or msg or report button hit. So yeah I'd still prefer it if there was a deserving dedicated SL staff member curating this place, helping members in need and carrying the SL torch into the future though! I stuck my top 3 candidates in the previous post however if no one eligible wants the job and most people feel that things should end here with original stalwarts Curt & Techumseh stepping down then I understand and won't push it. Thank you for everything you guys did.

Either way I guess the SL site will live on with all the amazing scenarios & guides created by so many talented people over the years and I know how to fix broken links there these days so can hopefully fix any problems (simple ones that is, for bigger ones I'll be like "Gaaaaarrrfffield!!!" lol). Plus its not quite the end of everything Civ2 yet thankfully as there's still great mods being made and still the occasional new person showing up with a cool idea. I have a couple of plans to hopefully inject new blood into this place and stop the decline for a while eg the big civ video series that my preservation work feeds into, as the Civ1 episodes I made & posted around heaps of retro groups brought new people into the almost dead Civ1 forums and there's been some interesting new modding projects going on so I expect a bigger interest in the Civ2 videos I'm planning, especially as there's going to be many of them showcasing lots of the best mods (especially crossover ones with links to other franchises with their own huge fanbases), then a whole ToT series of videos too. And even if that doesn't do much then hopefully my ongoing efforts to get Civ2 & ToT back into stores might lead to something one day. If I can pull that later one off it'll be a bloody miracle lol, but I'll keep trying since if Civ2 & ToT are for sale on Steam & GoG (& being advertised in digital sales etc) it will re-inject a huge load of new activity and creativity into the community since thousands would likely play the game again. If it happens I plan to be over in their GoG & Steam forums answering peoples questions with links to here and hope others might do the same! "Oh you've got a technical problem, Garfield posted a solution here (link)".. "oh you want scenarios, we've got tons of those here (link)!" etc etc. Oh and like I said earlier I'll also see about having better newer pinned welcome & info threads in each major section (although I wasn't planning on touching SL!) to help newcomers as currently we've got lots of old ones with out of date info and dead links posted by old staff gone long gone. So yeah.. chin up.. lots of plans.. never enough time.. see how I go haha!

Last edited:
@Blake00
At this stage, we don't want to burn you out. If you need some people to oversee SL, and assist you - @JPetroski has volunteered, and if anyone else wants to step up now is the time!

If we can get two staff over-seers here in SL, then Blake could report to Leif or one of the others and ask for them to be given the forum privileges.

Does that sound like a good path forward?

Top Bottom