New provinces?

Mr Spice

Emperor
With the recent and soon-to-be conquests on both the Chineese mainland and the Dover continet we need to revisit our provinces. Currently Luna has 8 cities, Phobos 7 and Deimos 11. 3 cities need to be asigned a province with probably 4-5 more soon to come (the last 3 chineese cities, Oxford and Leeds). Our provinces should be about even in size and well assembled geografically. I believe that around 7 or 8 cities is a good size to aim at. With those things in mind, I see two options for our new provinces.

1. Two new provinces, one for the Chineese mainland and one for the Dover continent. After having destroyed the Chineese that province would include 5 cities, with the possibility to found one more on the same island. Dover, Marl Downs, Cambridge, Ormuz and Brighton are asigned to the other province, with Oxford and Leeds as candidates for the future. The result would be:

Luna, 8 cities. Phobos, 7 cities. Deimos, 7 cities. New province 1, 2 cities with 4 more soon to come. New province 2, 5 cities with 2 more tempting targets. The drawback here is that new province 1 (with the chineese cities) would be rather small.

2. We create one new province for all our latest conquests on the eastern fronts. It would the include Nanking, Beijing and Brighton, with 3-6 more cities to come. The result would be:

Luna, 8 cities. Phobos, 7 cities. Deimos, 11 cities. New province 1, 3 cities, soon with 3-6 more. The drawback here is that Deimos would still be too large and the new province would be geografically spread out.

I would prefer to go with option 1. About the names, Kev earlier suggested the excellent name Io. What do the rest of you think?

I would have said no but the provinces should be around the same size so it will be best to create new provinces instead orf rearranging the existing provinces. The Luna province will not be expanded for a while so Deimos would be the only expanding province. So lets create a new province.

Considering that we still will only be working with two governors, it seems to make little difference about going to 4 or 5. With 4, it just may be easier to split up the cities.

Of course, Elibb has shown the ability to download and do screenshots - perhaps he can be conscripted to be a governor. Worst case, you can make 5 and I'll be happy to take a province myself.

Anyway, with names, here are the known moons in the solar system thus far:

Jupiter:

Metis, Adrastea, Amalthea, Thebe, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Leda, Himalia, Lysithea, Elara, Ananke, Carme, Pasiphae, Sinope

Saturn:

Pan, Atlas, Prometheus, Pandora, Epimetheus, Janus, Mimas, Enceladus, Tethys, Telesto, Calypso, Dione, Helene, Rhea, Titan, Hyperion, Iapetus, Phoebe

Uranus:

Cordelia, Ophelia, Bianca, Cressida, Desdemona, Juliet, Portia, Rosalind, Belinda, Puck, Miranda, Ariel, Umbriel, Titania, Oberon, Caliban, Sycorax, Prospero, Setebos, Stephano, 1986U10 (What a crappy name!)

Neptune:

Naiad, Thalassa, Despina, Galatea, Larissa, Proteus, Triton, Nereid

Pluto:

Charon

Wow! That's a lot of moons. Boy that Hubble Telescope has done wonders.

I like Io and possibly Europa. It'd be cool to have the Europa Province and have that include the (former) English cities.

I know it seems a little superflous to create new provinces when they will most likely be run by the same people anyway. But I am hoping that more people will join soon, like Elibb and Civ1-addict lately. I think we should create new provinces in the same way as we would have if there were enough governors, thus making it easier for new people to step in when (if?) they show interest. And I believe that if we had plenty of governor applicants, two new provinces would be the best thing. This is why I would like us to choose option 2 from above.

As for names, I like Kevs idea of Europa for the Dover-continent province. :D And perhaps the Chineese population could be persuaded to inhabit Triton?

Hey, if we went to planets instead we could have people living in Uranus :lol:

But seriously, I am fine with Governor Spice's province plan and move that it be done forthwith!

Or what about Pluto and Mickey Mouse?

Anyone up for a governor job? I bet Elibb would make a fine governor. :) And Civ1-addict too, if he could get hold of a copy of Civ 2. ;) If no one else can be persuaded to do the job, I could take one of them, but I would prefer someone else to.

Yeah, I'd be willing be a governer.

So, I would be governer of New Province 1?

Great! You are welcome to pick the province you want, either the one with the Chineese cities or the one on Dover continent. (Perhaps we should hold a poll about the names...) I am confident you will make a fine governor! :)

Yep so am I. Also we have managed to get a situation where the governors can do as much or as little as they like now...

Um, how about Europa? It looks like that's going to be the name of the Dover continent.

I think I have a pretty food idea of the governer's job but could someone lay it out for me just to be sure?:)

Originally posted by Mr Spice
if he could get hold of a copy of Civ 2
I have a copy of Civ2, Civ2 Classic (I'm a classic kinda guy). On that version the save game will not work because you are playing on MGE version I think.
I could be a governor but then somebody would have to post screenshots of my cities every time and that would be as much work as being a governor. So I'll leave the government to you guys and I will just give my opinion on stuff.

Civ1-addict, you could try this patch. It is supposed to upgrade Classic to MGE and several people have stated it works. It didn´t work for me though, but fortunately Killer was kind enough to send me a spare copy of his german version. :)

About the governor job, it involves taking care about the cities in your province. You may choose to keep a summary like the present ones for Luna, Phobos and Deimos. If so, you will have to update it whenever Kev has played some turns. You are supposed to suggest guidelines for what your cities should build. This could be done either in the form of general guidelines as Dell does, or in form of specific ques for all cities as I do. Simply post your ideas for the rest to read and comment on. Then make the consensus into a desicion. We rely on you to be more updated about the situation in your province than us, so your opinions will often have a strong impact. If there seems to be huge disagreement about something, you may want to post a poll about it. All citizens have a right to request polls from you if they think it is needed. Some sort of summary comes in handy not only as a general service to those who don´t have the game, but also as a gathering place for current decisions.

One important thing to remember is that the president has the right to override decisions when needed. We can´t possibly forsee everything that will happen in the game and thus the president must be able to make his own decisions while playing the game.

Elibb, you might want to check out Deimos for things we have already decided regarding Dover, Marl Downs, Cambridge and Ormuz before they were shifted to Europa. :)

Some threads that might serve as examples:

General governors thread
A city summary thread
A discussion thread

Originally posted by Mr Spice
Civ1-addict, you could try this patch. It is supposed to upgrade Classic to MGE and several people have stated it works.
I know that upgrade but it will take time to download it and I'll be on holiday tomorrow so it will take even more time.

On second thought...

Top Bottom