New Scenario: Mars2!

Welcome to all play testers!

Here is version .08 of Mars2! Ancient Mars. This is a zip file of about 467 KB.
It contains the necessary graphics, scenario, and text files for the patch.

There is a readme.txt file included so I will not go into details here. I am
assuming that you know how to play and install a scenario in Civilization II Multiplayer Gold. If you have some other version you are welcome to try it
as it is a file written in classic civ format.

Download the file here. :cool:

Enjoy!

CivPartisan

LEARN ABOUT THE INCARNATION OF THIS SCENARIO BELOW
=============================================
Hello Everyone!

I'm finally getting near to the release of a brand new scenario...one that was lost...then found...completely lost...rebuilt...partially lost...and at this point I have to say that I have gone overboard with backups...

Mars 2!

When I first played John Possidente's Mars Now! scenario, I was very pleased with such a fine piece of work. Yet, I was expecting (for some reason) a scenario entirely alien. Don't ask me why--I was just wanting to play a completely different planet without humans. So, I went to work on this one, but it never really took off. I later produced the classic civ 2 version (a modpack) of the Mars Now! FW scenario and walked away. I later decided that I was still not satisfied and worked on this scenario again. It's gone through several incarnations, none of which have ever been fully released, but here is the current story so far:

=Save the Planet!=

One million years ago an alien orb crash landed on Mars. The orb began to transform the planet and breed strange mutant creatures to dominate the planet's ecosystem. The surviving population on Mars must struggle to terraform portions of the planet to rebuild their future.

But politics, ideas and religion have separated them to a point no one can be trusted. Choose one of these seven factions to rebuild the red planet and unify Mars by force if necessary. Your best efforts may be to discover a way to defeat the alien orb that threatens the red planet's future.

CAUTION: Mars has become an unfriendly planet, overrun with Oculas, Tenticles and Nauticals on land and sea. These unfriendly creatures are powerful beasts that appear without warning and will challenge your exploration! Good luck!

Here are a few new screen shots to wet your whistle:

I will probably make this available for download soon, as I am doing a little testing now and hammering out some kinks. The beta will probably be without sounds. There are a lot of cool changes already but there is more to be done. This mod can be played as a bloodlust or a building scenario, but the scenario itself is meant to rely heavily on events (most of which have yet to be written). You will most likely find yourself doing a combination of the two, possibly panicking at times and hopefully singing songs of victory at others. More files to follow.

Cheers!

CivPartisan:scan:

Okay, here's the progress....

I've finished the units.gif, terrain1.gif, terrain2.gif, title.gif, Mars2.mp, Mars2.scn and rules.txt.

The current file that I am working on is the events.txt file and I am testing it as I write to minimize bugs. This process is slightly slower, but I used this method when I wrote the Birth of America scenario and I highly recommend it with complex events files.

I've added changes to all the files above but these are expected to be finalized versions now. I will try to add more screenshots soon with a zip file. To get play testing and feedback from all of my good friends here at CivFanatics!

Sounds are not available yet (sounds will be a lot of work for this scenario but I promise good ones!).

:confused: DOES ANYONE HAVE SOUND CLIPS OF 1950's SCI-FI SOUNDS - PLEASE EMAIL THEM TO ME OR POST THEM HERE :goodjob:
Thanks!

CivPartisan:cool:

I am still developing the "Ancient Mars" theme. I really need to get a hold of some of those sci-fi sound effects from the 1940s-60s....any would be of a great help. Even links to sound files on the web.

I will probably work on the game.txt and pedia.txt more in the next week as I try to smooth out new events for the storyline.

I don't believe that I will release any other playtest versions after this one, just the final scenario--although I may make some map changes and depending upon how radical those changes will depend on whether a new playtest will be needed.

Also, this map is based on an actual topographical surface map of the planet Mars. It is not based on the new satellite images that have recently been obtained but an older spectroscopic scan. I used this particular map rather than the other simply because I was more fond of the way I could crunch it into the size I wanted for the scenario...in the far far away future...I may use the more accurate map and actually convert it to a playable CivII map.

No other news, but don't forget to check what I have to say in the previews section at CivPartisans because sometimes I post it on the site first.

Best to all,

CivPartisan

You are using an actual map of Mars! Only that is enough to download it! [So I do]

Hey CivPartisan :)

Its looking good! Ive not played it for long as I'm on my laptop and i keep moving my units the wrong way. (not used to playing Civ II on laptop keyboards) Regardless of that from what Ive seen so far its very interesting :).

Only problem Ive found is that my advisers appear blacked out and black boxes appear when I'm talking to other civs.

Besides that its good. Ill transfer it 2 my desktop soon and play it there, where i wont move the wrong way as often. :p

@Gelion
Yes, I demand much of myself and a map of Mars was a must-have for this scenario...so glad you like ;)

@Wonx2150
Oh yes...trying to play civ on a laptop can be a bit of a pain, especially if you are trying to use a blue fn key for the in-board keypad or that touch pad thingy...much better to move it to the desktop...thanks for the good words too...

When I have more events, I hope to add sounds that will make you feel like you are playing a Martian scenario...I've picked up a few good ones already...but I need more...

And of course, keep up the feedback...give me as many comments as you can muster so that I can make the scenario even better...

:goodjob:

Cheers!

CivPartisan

What do you mean? I love playing on my laptop! Do upload the new version whenever it is ready.

As for the map, yes I absolutely love it! Do you mind if other people use it for their Mars scenarios?

@Gelion
By all means amigo...please feel free to use the map for a Mars scenario...that's what it's there for my friends...just put a little note in your readme file that says that cool guy CivPartisan made the map :lol:

...and I admit...I do have civ on all of my laptops which is a nice distraction from other things I should probably be doing...:rolleyes:

SOUND PROGRESS

I've mixed 30 new sounds so far for the scenario, including a menuloop, menuok button, and fanfares. Some units may get swapped around or changed during this process--this is why I leave the sounds for last...this could mean that I add or subtract units or combine a few units. Currently, it looks like I may be adding one more unit. I like the sounds to match, but it is often possible to find a multi-use sound pretty easily. I know I said I was concentrating on the text files, but when an idea hits you (and you don't have a lot of time to create), you really have to go with the flow.

I have to say that some of the sounds I am very pleased with--I can almost hardly wait to release them. To make this scenario, I sampled a number of Mars scenarios out there and there were only a couple that fit my tastes. I really wanted to feel like it was a Martian scenario, so I've set out to make that happen...if I can do that...then I suppose my mission can be considered a success.

More files coming soon!

CivPartisan

Well I am back to rewriting this scenario! I've started a new events file and remade many units! Here's a screenshot!

upload_2016-11-1_18-54-49.png

You'll notice I've changed the people.gif, and made other graphics changes. I'm doing some play testing right now, and I expect a release in a couple of weeks. Any comments or suggestions are absolutely welcome :-D

Here is a screen shot of the city screen!

upload_2016-11-5_16-6-34.png

I am currenty playing the modpack to check it. I have played the scenario already and it is working fine in CiC. I will of course, write FW and MGE versions as always for the events and so forth.

Here's @CivPartisan 's old website which has his original pictures too:
https://web.archive.org/web/20091027103059/http://www.geocities.com/jvaldeztoo/cph/Previews.htm

I found his website via another old thread he made about this scenario many years ago, put it into webarchive and got the file. Came here to post the link in the old thread then noticed this newer thread in his sig and now see @Knighttime has beaten me to it above haha. However unfortunately this file is the original 2009 copy and doesn't have his 2016 improvements but oh well it's better than nothing hey!

Looks cool!

Last edited:
Top Bottom