New to series

eightohfive

Chieftain
I'm looking to buy Civilization...I've never played it before so I was wondering which would be a better pick III or IV?

Yikes, controversial topic!

I didn't play 3 but 4 is excellent in my opinion.

Welcome to CFC anyhow!

I'm with PS--even though I never played III, I highly recommend IV. My reasoning is as follows: III has a very well-known exploit which was not plugged until IV, namely, Rapid Expansion (more commonly referred to as REX). The secret of the game was to build as many cities as fast as you could in the early game, claiming as much land as possible. In IV, this exploit no longer works; city maintenance costs will run your economy into the ground if you try it. Thus, you have a more challenging game than before.

I don't want to run down III, because it has its fans, but hey, I used to love Civ II, but I don't play it anymore either. (I tried to the other day, because my Civ IV computer is out of commission; but you can't go back, I found!) Times change and the game gets better.

Same here :)

And also consider that you will have more people recommanding the IVth opus in this forum, and more people recommanding the IIIrd in the civ3 forum ^^

Thanks for the responses.

Thought it over some more and decided to go with IV. Went all out with both expansions as well. I'm sure I'll be back once I've gotten my feet wet, just waiting on the Steam downloads =p

Also are the expansions worth it? Don't matter much since I already bought them, but I know sometimes expansions are worthless and can even detract from the game(BF2 comes to mind).

The expansions are fully worth it. The game is so much more balanced and complete with them. The latest patch has a few bugs though. There is a fan made patch that fixes some of them however. Check out the Beyond The Sword Forum for details.

Civ IV is definitely the way to go. I would take Civ 1 or Civ 2 over Civ 3. Well, maybe not Civ 1...but it's close. Civ III is not terrible. It introduced some new concepts like borders and changed the way units are upkeeped, and unique units.

The latest patch has a few bugs though. There is a fan made patch that fixes some of them however. Check out the Beyond The Sword Forum for details.

That's a good point; I'd highly recommend installing Bhruic's unofficial patches once you get the game installed. They fix most of the leftover bugs.

Top Bottom