New unit; Ironfrigate

Lovely. It reminds me of being back in Portsmouth, sitting in the pub and looking out at The Warrior in the dock.

Ah, nostalgia!

Thanks every one, right now I don't have a day job as now one wants to give me a job :(

For jimmyH; yesterday I found out that due to all my design work I only had around 5% of my harddisk space left and realised I'd have to delete some of my "construction" files for units that I had already finished (3d model, directional renders etc..), so I no longer have the model for it.
I use corel dream 3d, which has a fairly limited range of exports. Though I was planning on doing another ship soon, I'll try to do a little animation of building the unit.

For every one else; Iv'e noticed a little problem with the unit, when its displayed in the active unit box, (at the bottom right of the screen) there is a purple "halo" around the masts, this I cos I used a small amount of blending on the unit, to make it look smoother, figuring that any blur at the edge of the unit would be turned in to Alpha-blending. It works great in the main display, but in the little box, it overlaps slightly on to the map and it causes a problem.
I looked for some Pre-blending flics (I usualy keep a set, incase the blending is too much, the t55 has two levels of medium blending, the ironfrigate only one), but I couldn't find any. Ive already deleted the original rendering, so I will have to stay as it is for now, later I will find the frame used for the active unit box and trim the "purple" blending away from the masts.

Keep up the great work.. An excellent looking unit with many options.. Looks like the unit will be used in many scenarios to come........

Mark

I LOVE THIS UNIT! Its much better than the origional ironclad unit and so i used it instead. More of a transition between old and new sea vessels! Thanks. great work!

I just installed your Ironfrigate Smoking mirror, and it is a thing of beauty.

Tested it in a scenario and it works fine.
I saw the purple mast in the info-box, but who cares!

One of the best looking units yet. Amazing work!

WOW! This is the best looking unit in the game... Including those units from Firaxis. It fills a much-needed niche also.

Love this unit, great art! I have been using it in the Double yer pleasure mod and it work perfect!:D :D :D I made it into a fast Ironclad (7move) w/ same defense and 1 less attack. I use prereq's steam and rec/Iron. This art is one of the very best in the game! :goodjob:

This really is a nice looking unit. ANy chance of more ships? The Spanish Main era could use a merchantman and a sloop.

It fired in the right direction with mine :). Are you sure you have enabled "Rotate before attacking" to the unit alpha wolf 64 ;).

Smoking Mirror, that is a great looking unit. The Warrior was one of the first Iron-armored(yes, I'm American!:D) naval vessels in history. It was the pride and joy of the Royal Navy. However, it was a half'n'half warship, with iron plating over a wooden hull. Thus she would be no match for the Union ironclad Monitor if they had ever fought. (Which actually does happen in Henry Harrison's: "Stars and Stripes Forever", a must read for history buffs!) The only reason the Iron Frigate might be better is the fact that she is more sea-worthy. Thus you can have the Ironclad sink in ocean tiles, and use it for coastal defense, and use the Iron Frigate to patrol the seas. The Ironclad should be more expensive, but have better attack/defense, than the Iron Frigate.

edit: Actually, the setting of Stars and Stripes Forever would make for a good scenario. I will look into this... I will need help for sure.

Even though everyone else has already said it...I've gotta tell you that this is probably the best looking unit in the game, even including the firaxis units. Beautiful animation. Be proud of this one. :D

A HELL of a unit, son.

I put it in my mod and I can't wait to get to it.

I think most of the ship units look very cool, but this probably looks the best. Firaxis certainly underplayed the role of Naval and air power. I added 5 ships and jacked all of their stats up.

I'd be happy to post it. It's nothing fancy, there's a lot more extensive mods here. I'll play through it first and fix some things. Here's the changes I made that come to mind:

I added a few new units:
War Elephant - The same, but available to all and with weaker stats for early game use. I made him available with Polytheism.
War Chariot - Available with construction. Same as the old one, but with a better attack and available to all.
Men-At-Arms - Medieval Infantry with the Legionary graphic.
Bombard Cannon - Something to bridge the gap between Catapult and Cannon. I downloaded the graphic and added Cannon sounds.
Musket Infantry - I used the Musketeer graphic.
Dragoon - Cavalry was too good, I think they needed this. I used the old Cavalry graphic, then gave Cavalry a new graphic I downloaded. It was called the Bandit I think.
Iron Frigate - I had to use this bad boy.
Battleship - One unit to represent the Battleship throughout history was absurd. So I added this one with the WWI Dreadnaught graphic and made the other one a Modern Battleship.
Carrier - Nothing exciting, just downloaded a WWII style carrier and made the original for the Modern Age, like the Battleship.
Attack Sub - Fear the mighty Submarine, dammit! Subs were a joke in the regular version. And I changed the Nuke Sub to a Missile Sub and gave it more nuke carrying capacity.
Modern Destroyer - I used the AEGIS Destroyer graphic.
Atomic Bomb - Can't wait to use this one. You have to load him on a modified Bomber to move it. I managed to tweak the attributes to make it work pretty realistically.
Attack Chopper - Apache style. Sorely missing. Should be a good one.
Ranger - Better Infantry.

I think those are the units I added. I changed pretty much all the stats for every unit, and pretty drastically changed the air and sea units. If you have a tank sitting on the beach, a mad Battleship will put the hurt on him. I gave all ranged attack units a bombard ability. Not sure if I'll keep it that way though.

I added a Totalitarian government, pretty much just an alternative to Communism. They needed one, for those of us with an aversion to using communism. Haven't tried it yet.

I got rid of pollution caused by buildings. It was too freakin annoying and too damaging.

I put in a new irrigation graphic.

I didn't monkey with the techs or add any civs. And I don't have any Civilopedia stuff for my changes either. So it's no Double Your Pleasure or anything, which I plan on trying eventually.

BTW, I used your units_32 pcx file, Zulu. Good work with that!

Oh, I also added a Howitzer and a Mobile SAM Battery.

I just tried out your Iron Frigate, Smoking Mirror, and it IS as great as everyone says. Just one thing I noticed that's kind of funny, though, is that it is very large. I was testing the unit out along with the Pre-Dreadnought, and it towers over the dreadnought --makes it look like David next to Goliath. :lol:

But, oh well, it still looks great!

Thanks,

Colonel

:goodjob:

Top Bottom