New United Fanatica

I think - it is great wisdom in Starlift proposition:
First Settler build road in initial spot.
Second go to the hut via south direction.
Postpone our next decision until popping the hut: I'm afraid the worst - money or knowledge from there, but if it'll be some NONE unit first step of it must be in... let's wait until popping the hut.

But its a bit hard to generate trade without a city. If it is a "poor" area for a city up where the hut is, we will need to wait until the road is finished before a city can be founded. Its weighting up building the first city in 3950 and roading later, vs building it in 3900 / 3850 with a road.

Founded 3950: 1 trade untill 3750 at the best: 4 beakers or Gold
Founded 3900: 2 trade untill 3750 at best: 3 Beakers, 3Gold

Profit:2, adding one each turn
Lost production: 2 shields, worth 4 or 5 Gold.
Even building the city in 3850 will soon make up for the loss of time.

Added benefits (ok: a maybe):
-If we get a unit: scouting possibilities to determine where to put our first city,SE or NW (specials)

I say: build the road.

As a candidate for the Domestic Advisor position, basing my opinion on the little stat Germanos detailed and my own knowlege, it seems in our best interests to build the road.

In early game (settlers, not engineers), it takes 3 days to build on a non-river grass/plain/desert. We are most assuredly going to use that grass-shield. We get a "free" work day by building now. Plus, it gives us time to examine the 2 tiles around the hut, which may well tell us if one of those grasslands are a (hidden) special. It other words, when we see the 2-square radius around teh hut, we will likely learn a great deal, unless it is all grassland or immediate coastline (thus blocking terrain examination to the north and east; unlikely, based on the graphic).

A 2-move unit (horsie) will be aboe to rapidly sweep to the northwest, to tell us of rivers and terrain that direction. Building the road gives us the time to explore enough to decide the best site, while still roading (roads are important for defense against Barbs & killing barb leaders for the 150g after turn 16).

Out of interest, is there any chance popping the hut will produce a settlement and found our capital de facto? I seem to recall this has happened to me once a long time ago in my early Civ career but I may be mistaken as the event is lost in the mists of time and alcohol....

Perhaps Starlifter can advise?

I have popped over 1,000 huts in the BC 4000 to BC 3900 time frame and never been able to cause an Advanced Tribe. However, if you never found a city and keep popping huts, eventually you may get a tribe. I do not know the trigger event to allow this, but it might be turn 16, or something else. It is not merely the quantitiy of huts. I have popped all huts (over 125) on an entire map at BC 4000 (several times, with cheat-added warriors). So in my experience, there is zero chance in MGE, if a hut is popped early in the game. I've heard that on the occasions later (like in the BC1500 range) when an AT is given, that it sometimes contains no palace :eek:.

I've never personally had an early game AT before founding my capital. Maybe someone else can comment if they know the specifics mechanism to allow a ~BC 4000 Advanced Tribe?

:)

I will add this: I have, in testing a week ago, been able to produce an Advanced Tribe (AT) on all terrain types, including huts on glaciers and mountains. The conditions for such ATs were that it be in a non-polar hut, and have suitable surrounding terrain (e.g., plains, or grassland). I did not pursue it to great detail, but I now know for sure that given the right conditions, ATs can occur on any terrain (e.g., there is not a hard-code preventing it in the Civ 2 Algorithm). But such events are very rare, and do seem to be influenced by surrounding terrain.

:)

I suppose the New United Fanatica thread is the place for this so....

What do you think of this:

Whoops, I assumed that cause the thread was called New UNited Fanatica so was our nation. Oh well, I will fix it :rolleyes:

Just a little point...

In the empire naming thread, the name people chose to vote for was the New Union of Fanatica and not the New United Fanatica.

Very cool :cool:
Of course, our people have not discovered iron working so don't know what a sword is, and don't have Cop's Observatory, so don't realize we're on a planet and not the back of some gigantic turtle,:lol: but very cool banner :)

Top Bottom