Newbie Help

iOsyncratic

Chieftain
Can you guys give me tips for how to master early, mid and late game. I seem to not know what to build or research in any of those stages.

Early game: build a defense force to deter your neighbors from conquering you. Go out on your own conquest if you feel up to it. Start thinking about what victory type you want, and start building the corresponding districts in your core cities.

Mid game: focus in on your victory type, and expand your victory type district in more of your cities. Get your gold production up at this stage. Start working with spies.

Late game: go all in to getting to your victory type. Field spies to sabatoge other players’ progress. Remember to use city projects if you don’t know what to build.

You may need to decide on your goals before you start your journey. Do you want all out war, some war, all out peace or some peace? What victory condition are you going for? What difficulty and map setup are you using? If we know some of this we could probably provide better advice.

ha, general advice. But sometimes you have to play the map, say if you are on an island or continent by yourself.

Usually that is not the case, however. And building a decent number of archers and warriors and attacking your nearest neighbor and taking their cities is always a good strategy. If you are up for it, attack a 2nd nearby neighbor. Usually that's enough, but you can keep going. Build at least a few campus districts, and eventually get some theater squares up as well. Until you get the hang of running a tight economy, feel free to build commercial hubs or harbors in every city. This gives you a lot of flexibility, don't be afraid to spend that money on buying builders or units or even buildings. Don't worry so much about encampments and holy sites until you feel more comfortable with the game. If you concentrate on getting enough luxuries through settling and trade, you can usually wait until the second half of the game to really get entertainment districts going. But going for the Colloseum is always a good plan, which requires one entertainment district and an arena in it.

Keep unique abilities / districts / infrastructures of the civ you are playing in mind. Play accordingly or in order to raise the bar vice versa... ;)
Play the map is good - preplan your cities and the district puzzle...
Personally I tend to kill of my closest neighbour and then make some friends, but that's situational of course.

Keep an eye on the science and domination rankings list. This will tell you how strong your military is compared to opponents and where you are techwise.

Build a small army to defend and expand or an invasion army to more aggressively expand. Take advantage of the light warmongering penalties in the early game.

After that generally I like commercial and harbor districts early on for the trade routes but if you fall behind in science or military (bottom half of civs) focus on those.

Once you get your infrastructure (traders and tile improvements) rolling you can pick a VC to hyper focus on.

What difficulty are you playing on? It makes a huge difference to your opening build order. Also, taking over your neighbor is a LOT harder on deity. Warriors and archers aren't usually enough.

You may not build a wonder but you can certainly double chop one out. Pyramids and Colosseum can be good for warmongers .

There is no one strategy. That's what makes the game so great. My son and I are about as good as each other, both win reasonably consistently on immortal but we have totally different approaches. Neither are right / wrong and both can work.

Top Bottom