No Culture Points for Taken-Over Wonders?

Marlos

Christian Soldier
So I'm the Persians. And I trade for iron so that I can build immortals. And I decide to use my newly-created special units to beat up on my Zulu neighbors. And I do. And I take over their capital (only to see the capital switch to another city:mad: ) that has Copernicus' Observatory in it.

And I get no culture points in the city for it?:eek: What's up with that?

If I take over a opponent's city that has a WOTW in it, do I get culture points? Or does the WOTW stop producing culture? Does the WOTW stop working altogether?

It does not stop working, but it does cease to produce culture points. Not my favorite decision by the developers at Firaxis.

I think this makes sense. Did we give the Taliban any cultural credit because at one time they happened to control the land that some ancient Budist statues were located? No, this credit goes to the Budists that built the statues. If Egypt fell to Russia, would you hail the Russian people as amazing builders of Pyramids? It would make sense to me if a wonder gave culture to the civ that built it, EVEN when the city it is in is taken over.

IMHO the cultural rewards should go to the civ that managed to acomplish building the wonder, not the one currently reaping it's rewards.

True, but we give the modern day italians culture points for the city of Rome, but they are hardly the same people that founded the Roman empire.

Exactly, eyrei. The Italians didn't build the Colosseum, but people still show up to see it, don't they? Even if the WOTW doesn't give an immediate culture benefit to the takeover civ, shouldn't culture come back after a period of time? Does it?:confused:

All cultural improvements seem to be destroyed when you capture a city, and, no, captured wonders will never generate culture.

Wonders survive city takeover, and still function provide their bonuses minus culture.

No, I don't think many give the current incarnation of the Italian government 'cultural credit' for Roman accomplishments. Yes, many people go to rome, which is located in Italy, to see these cultural tresures that are now owned by Italy. I think this would be more of a commerce bonus than a culture bonus however. The tour guides aren't telling people, 'Here is where the mighty Italian empire founded the temple in 200bc..,' or anything like that. They tell them about the great Roman era, and what the Romans did in 200bc, then collect the cash.

People flocked from incredible distances to Rome because to many, Roman achivements represented the apex of human culture, and they wanted to be with the people capable of this amazing feat. People wanted to learn how Rome did it, what else they are doing, what they think is right. People flocked there so they could be a part of the incredible phenomanon that is Rome. To this day people go to the Colleseum, not to learn about Italy, but to learn about Rome. This is what culture is about, the capture of minds, not teritory. I think the current system works very will with the CivIII model of citizens nationality, but I still think cultures should retain what ever 'cultural credit' they had built up from building even after they are lost.

(Not trying to knock Italy, just happened to be a good example.)

I could agree with your assessment that it is more of a commercial bonus than cultural. I do wish captured wonders from the ancient era added something to your civ. They are wonders, even if you didn't build them.

If it was up to me a captured wonder would give half the normal culture to a the civ that built it, the other half becomes commerce and goes to the civ that holds it. If the building civ retakes control of it, it goes back to 100% culture for the building civ.

I agree with Maugan 100%. It does seem that there should be some adjustment to the culture points, not the sheer eradication of them.

If the original civ took the WOTW they had built back over, would the culture bonus be restored? I would hope so.

I vote you get the benefits..and that's it. Seems fine to me..what's the big deal? If you get half culture and half commerce..then why would you ever build your own wonders? You could sack them from your neighbors and get money plus culture! I would take that in a second. Culture is great..but adding commerce would mean you could increase your science rate..not hardly what should happen if you capture a wonder. It seems fine as it is.

I think that it's enough to deprive someone else of the culture that they would get when you sack their wonder.

It does seem like a bit of a downer not to get all the benefits though. It seems like it should come back after time.

On another note, I think it's sort of lame that you don't get to keep any improvements in a city when you sack it. It's barely worth keeping a city after you sack it in the first place, but then you have to rebuild everything (or almost everything) with 1 shield?

Is anyone else bummed that you can't edit more with the editor? It'd be nice to be able to modify some of the equations they use for different things. Who'd like to be able to modify the equation that affects the radius of palaces?

:)

Freakboy
AKA
Toolboi
AKA
Freakboy

Top Bottom