No More Eternal Wonders

dome of the rock, nearly 1400 years old and still going strong. Who says ancient wonders can't be maintained? the pyramids for crying out loud... ancient and still standing! :)

The Great Library is gone because it got razed

but the city didn't...

I bet almost 80% of old era Wonders (before 500 A.D) are gone... 45% by natural disasters, 35% by violence (revolutions, wars and the current leader), 10% by lack of maintenance, 10% by wrong design.

Those 20% wonders that remains are not in good state and can't represent totally what they were, today our best model is the Great Pyramid, that even after had their gold, rocks and body stolen is there and it's still great. Stonehenge, Parthenon, Colosseum hadn't the same lucky.

So yes, they should be destroyed somehow but keep the cultural effect, the problem of what some guy suggest about it is already implemented in Civ IV when you obsolete some Wonder, is that in reality some wonders get destroyed before they reach the tech that obsoletes it. Ex: Great Library, Colossus of Rodes, Maussolos, etc...

Conquest, on the other hand, I think is feasible. Why not include a very small chance that a wonder will be destroyed on capture, much like normal buildings can be? Of course, certain wonders should be exempt such as the Great Wall, maybe the pyramids, etc. but more conventional wonders like the Great Library or the Parthenon would be (and have been) completely susceptible to collateral damage. I think the "legendary status" idea upon losing a wonder is a little too abstract, but maybe if a wonder were destroyed on capture, ruins would be left that would retain the cultural advantage and lose all the others?

You could do some clever stuff with a destroyed wonder mechanic. Lets say I take a city with the Great Lighthouse. But my men accidentally destroy it, woopsies. Ancient destroyed wonders still are a fascination to the modern day so they could possibly provide a cultural bonus. Then on top of that a Great Engineer could rebuild the structure not only returning the building to its former glory but providing a relationship bonus with the structures previous owner as a sign that you respected some of their greatest works even after a long and brutal war.

Having your wonders destroyed would be no fun at all. Devote 20 turns to building one, only to lose it because of some random event? Ugh.

Just make the obsolete. Current system works fine.

Yet another suggestion that would make the game more realistic, yet more boring and horrible.

Soundwαvє ▼;9069105 said:
in reality some wonders get destroyed before they reach the tech that obsoletes it. Ex: Great Library, Colossus of Rodes, Maussolos, etc...

That happens in the game already, though. In fact, I sometimes aim to do exactly that to my enemy's wonders, by razing the city they're in.

Yet another suggestion that would make the game more realistic, yet more boring and horrible.

The developers could certainly find ways to make the game more realistic and fun. That's why they get paid to make the games, while most people on the forums do not.

Although I sometimes play without wonders, I still love the things, and I think it's a sacrilege for one to be destoyed.

I propose that rather than being destroyed by some random or historical event, when a wonder becomes obsolete it should "go into ruin", and it's graphics would change accordingly, and while losing it's benefit, it would continue to generate culture and commerce from tourism & historical reputation. After all, the Pyramids, sphinx, stonehenge, coloseum , parthanon, etc. may be in ruin, but they are known to billions of people.

Well, civilizations dont last so long generally speaking --- a few hundred years is a very long time for any civilization; but in Civ you are to "beat the odds" and maintain a civ from ancient to modern times. If a civ actually lasted that long, I bet any Wonders it built would also, if damaged such a civ would repair them. But...the wonder is not the thing itself, it is an expression of the nature and power of the civ that built it. So my problem (if there really is one) is that capturing Wonders transfers all the benefits to the conquerer.

I agree with those, who said destroing Wonders would be frustrating to the player - it would turn out to become an unfun element.

How about merging both opinions? What about limit the Wonders live span in general? So each and every (ancient/medival?) Wonder just last for ... X turns or some other more or less fixed time span? After that time span you will have to decide: a) Paying some sort maintenance for getting culture points (or/and some additional benefits) from this wonder or b) the wonder will be lost. Maybe it will not be totaly lost, but it will be be transformed into some hammers (or what ever it will be called) and rushing some production - a bit like great engineers do. But this last thing may open some door for cheating, right now its just a rough idea.

Top Bottom