NO more paratroopers

PaulHausser

Chieftain
There should be no paradroping paratroopers in world war two scenarios. For two reasons: 1.it is not at all historically accurate 2. the dynamics of paradroping in civ2 are unrealistic.

It is not historically accurate because, to my knowledge, only four large scale operations used paradrops: the capture of the dutch forts, the Crete invasion, the Normandy Invasion, and operation Market Garden. In most of these situations the paratroopers paradropped and then attacked a target. The ai's stategy is to bomb the f out of a city and then paradrop to capture it. Although on one rare occasion I have seen the ai paradrop in a field inside by territory. No country paradroped large numbers of soldiers deep into a undefended areas of the enemy's territory without it being part of a larger operation. There are so few instances of paradrops in ww2 that you could easily make them event driven, like on turn whatever 6 paratrooper units appear on Crete.

Paradropping, as a tactical weapon, is almost as overated as the bayonet. Paratroops are VERY vulnerable while dropping, landing, and regrouping, usually they have to be supplied by air, which is unreliable at best, and they can't carry heavy weapons like bazookas or high-caliber machine guns. Crete was a victory but casuelties were so high that Hitler called a moritoriam on all future paradrop operations. Market Garden was an inconcievable disaster. They were useful during the D-Day invasion but do you see the ai doing anything similiar in the same event? Hell No. Finally, countries today admit that the only reason that they maintain airborne divisions is because the training required to be a paratrooper is so rigorous that it makes them elite. They say that it is highly unlikely an actual paradrop invasion would occur today.

I cringe everytime I see Kuwait or a city in scotland taken by German paratroops. If you do not know how to create difficulty or force invasions without paratroopers than take a peek at Red Front's or second front's event and rules files.

I do not think paratroopers should be left out of a scenario. Fallshirmjagers and their ilk have a relevent role in ww2 as elite units and should not be ignored. Just do not give them paradrop capabilities.

I am all not against paradropping as long as it represents some abstract imaginative concept like troops overwhelming a city garrison in a blitz. I considered representing the bombing of German industry by making a ground unit called a 'bomb' that would paradrop and pillege a industry (mining) tile or railroad or irrigation.

That is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Some of the problems could be solved by cutting the drop-range from 10 to 4,5 or 6. And by reducing their defence-value to simulate the resupply problems.

This will give paratroppers a more tactical role.

I'd have to disagree with your point Paul. Airborne drops were used to sieze lightly defended targets and hold them untill ground forces could link up. For example, the Market-Garden drop was aimed at siezing a series of lightly held towns and bridges in order to allow the British XXX Corps to swiftly advance. Likewise, the drops prior to D-Day were aimed at siezing bridges, causeways and towns that were essential in securing the Allied beachead.

In addition, during the later stages of the war there was a serious and well developed plan to beat the Soviets to Berlin by siezing the city with 3 Airborne divisions.

BTW, you missed a few drops: Allied paratroopers made divisional level drops during the invastions of Sicily and Italy, and the British crossing of the Rhine was supported by a massive air drop.

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, men had heart attacks from being dropped, the stress of it all, ur hundreds or thousands of feet up, u may be shot...many paratroopers were found hanging dead in the trees from their chutes without a scratch on them

I disagree with you.
Paratroopers were in WW2. So you should be able to build them. Cause i like to use PAratroopers. I would've used them more in WW2 if i was hitler or whoever :)

Don't forget Soviets! They used paratroopers quite often against Germans. Usually they reinforced partisans who then seized whole regions behind the front. But paratroopers were used in more conventional operations too, like in Smolensk battle where Russians dropped several brigades behind Germans.

Also Soviet Union was the first country in the world who created paratrooper divisions.

If I can add:

1. The Japanese used paratroops extensively in smaller numbers - battalion strength was the extreme, I think - to attack various East India and Phillipine islands in 1941-42, saving themselves precious sealift forces in the process. I've used them the same way in the Civ2 "East Wind, Rain" scenario, for example.

2. If I'm not mistaken, there were also major drops across the Rhine during the final allied offensive into Germany, at something like divisional strength.

3. To be fair, your portrayal of the modern situation is a bit limited. I realize any use of Canadian military examples in a modern setting is likely to get me ridiculed, but as late as the 1980s, back when Canada actually had infantry, in the event of WWIII, the plan was always to drop an overstrenth Cdn. airborne regiment just behind NATO's front line in Norway - once again to save sealift resources and directly reinforce the front line. I've always thought well-armed paratroops have been underrated in a defensive role with that kind of deployment in mind, and have used them that way to block roads or fill gaps in Civ2 quite often.

That all said, I've found the Civ2 paratrooper fetish to be a bit absurd, and I've always thought a tighter radius for drops would be fair. The operating radius should not be any larger than half of a fighter's move. For obvious reasons!

R.III

I personally think that the whole problem could be alleviated if paratroop units were not able to capture cities, like sea and most air units, but as far as I know there's no way to do that without getting into seriously heavy file editing.

Nah, paratroopers should be allowed to take cities, because they did take cities in WW2. Especially on D-Day and Norway and the Invasion of France.
Hell-o neighbor :)

Top Bottom