[C3C] Paratrooper-Helicopter Combo

chickensaver

Chieftain
Hello! I am back after 16 years! Old habits never die. (Most of this could be common sense for advanced players.)

The point of this post is to mention that I found a potential use for paratroopers, if your border town has an airfield. (or airport)
I was testing to find any good use for this unit, and I found that if I have a helicopter loaded with paratroopers in my productive city, I could, in the same turn, re-base the helicopter with the paratroopers in the airfield of the border town, unload the paratroopers and have them parachute into enemy lines, getting there one turn faster than if I loaded regular infantry. This works because when the helicopters rebase, the units inside do not use movement points. The movement points only get used when they parachute.

Then as usual, you can parachute to protect a failed attack of your "red-lined tanks," parachute to enemy resources/hills/mountains as annoyer units, parachute to crater-bombed zones so the AI can't send workers, or parachute next to an empty city that was bombed or undefended. I also occasionally attack with paratroopers if the defender has 1hp, but get really annoyed when a 1hp pikeman defeats my healthy elite paratrooper. :lol:

Of course, I still find paratroopers to be of very limited use since the tech and unit are costly and the shields and beakers could be better spent, but I believe this strategy is worth mentioning, especially for island hopping in archipelago.

Note: You could do this without paratroopers too, but you need twice as many helicopters, half of your helicopters in your main city and the other half in the town airfield. Load Infantry into Helicopter A rebase to airfield, unload infantry, load into Helicopter B, then Airdrop into enemy lines as indicated above. (I use infantry as generic term, ideally it would be TOW infantry)

I was testing to find any good use for this unit, and I found that if I have a helicopter loaded with paratroopers in my productive city, I could, in the same turn, re-base the helicopter with the paratroopers in the airfield of the border town, unload the paratroopers and have them parachute into enemy lines, getting there one turn faster than if I loaded regular infantry. This works because when the helicopters rebase, the units inside do not use movement points. The movement points only get used when they parachute.
This "not losing of movement points" can of course be replaced by using railroads and a chain of ships which then is not limited to paratroopers or general infantry for that matter.

Hello! I am back after 16 years! Old habits never die. (Most of this could be common sense for advanced players.)

The point of this post is to mention that I found a potential use for paratroopers, if your border town has an airfield. (or airport)

Then as usual, you can parachute to protect a failed attack of your "red-lined tanks," parachute to enemy resources/hills/mountains as annoyer units, parachute to crater-bombed zones so the AI can't send workers, or parachute next to an empty city that was bombed or undefended. I also occasionally attack with paratroopers if the defender has 1hp, but get really annoyed when a 1hp pikeman defeats my healthy elite paratrooper. :lol:

Of course, I still find paratroopers to be of very limited use since the tech and unit are costly and the shields and beakers could be better spent, but I believe this strategy is worth mentioning, especially for island hopping in archipelago.

Note: You could do this without paratroopers too, but you need twice as many helicopters, half of your helicopters in your main city and the other half in the town airfield. Load Infantry into Helicopter A rebase to airfield, unload infantry, load into Helicopter B, then Airdrop into enemy lines as indicated above. (I use infantry as generic term, ideally it would be TOW infantry)
Thanks. I buffed paratroopers and still never use them, partly because I don't have the faintest idea what I am doing in late game combat (because with default settings a tank rush is completely reliable so I don't need to think about things).

Thanks. I buffed paratroopers and still never use them, partly because I don't have the faintest idea what I am doing in late game combat (because with default settings a tank rush is completely reliable so I don't need to think about things).
Yes I agree, they have a narrow window of use.
(I only found interesting that transporting them in helicopters to islands with airfields allows them to keep their airdrop to defend damaged tanks or annoy/pillage enemy resources!)
I wish they made the Industrial Paratrooper stats 6-8 instead of 4-9 to make them competitive against poor man's units (guerilla and flak) and the modern para is even more useless against TOW!

Also when I played vanilla, (no guerilla or TOW), I found paras essential when I could no longer make Infantry as they were upgraded to mech, or killed and needed quick air transportation.

Recommend the c3x mod which has an option to allow paratroopers to move after jumping. I think it also helidropped units to do the same. Airborne!

Top Bottom