No Space Race victories?

snifter

Chieftain
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but 99 times out of 100, the winner wins by Space Race, right? So, when you turn off Space Race as an option, does the computer change its tactics? It seems like it still bottle-rockets for Rocket as soon as any leader has researched Artillery or even Radio. Which doesn't seem like the best tech if you're can't win by going to Mars. Do all the leaders have a standard script in the way the priortize techs? Or do they, for example, learn to prioritize military on a particularly Agressive continent...

AI can accidentally win by diplomatic or domination though.
Only if you've been severely neglecting paying attention to the state of world affairs. It's pretty easy to forsee problematic AI which may run a risk of winning diplomatically or by domination, and you should be able to take steps to counter this quite easily if you notice it early enough.

The AI will indeed beeline to Rocketry & Spaceship techs when Space Race Victory is disabled. Not only that, when Space Victory is enabled, they will continue to build spaceship parts even after a Space Victory is decided!

At least, such was the case in my recent game as Saladin. Catherine, Washington, and (of all people) Alexander were all ahead of me in tech, until a last-minute Internet beeline vaulted me way ahead of them. I built the Space Elevator, and had but five turns left on the final parts when, out of the blue, Catherine DOW's America. And asks me to join. I figured...what the heck? The game's won anyway.

So I queued up some military ahead of the space parts, and launched an invasion against America. Unfortunately, I accidentally let the final parts complete, thus winning a Victory...but I was so caught up in the war, I decided to play it out in overtime.

Eventually, all of America's core cities were mine, except for one in the middle which Catherine had taken. But then...what's this, a Russian Great Artist?? Yup, Cathy dropped a CULTURE BOMB which, essentially, claimed ALL the American soil I'd spent so much time conquering!!! Silly silly Cathy, will you ever learn?? :ar15: :spank: [Saladin DOW's Catherine...and also Alexander, just for the heck of it.]

Ok, here's the thing. I had spies lurking in all their main cities, so I was able to see that all during the war, America, Russia & Greece KEPT BUILDING SPACE PARTS, *after* I'd launched the ship, even as I pounded their cities into dust with Modern Armor & Stealth Bombers!!!!! Poor Cathy didn't even have oil...her lesser cities were actually building Cossacks (which actually managed to kill a few of my wounded tanks left out in the open, I was quite impressed by that.)

This was vanilla civ 1.61, dunno if Warlords or any of its patches changed that.

The pros on these Boards hardly ever win Space Race, but more mortal players like myself will often gravitate towards it as the only option when in 4th place coming into the 20th century.

Space race is the only winnning condition AI has a shot of, except time.
So, by switching of space race you giving yourself a huge advantage.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but 99 times out of 100, the winner wins by Space Race, right? So, when you turn off Space Race as an option, does the computer change its tactics? It seems like it still bottle-rockets for Rocket as soon as any leader has researched Artillery or even Radio. Which doesn't seem like the best tech if you're can't win by going to Mars. Do all the leaders have a standard script in the way the priortize techs? Or do they, for example, learn to prioritize military on a particularly Agressive continent...

First, Space race is like 1 or 2 % of my games ;) .
In fact, I had won one for my very first game while I was mostly running for cultural but didn't know how to do it properly. Then the second was one year later in a trash game 2 (a kind of SG).

Second, as most people here have said, the AI has no goal whatsoever, end I believe it isn't aware of checked or unchecked victory conditions.
So don't expect a different game if you turn off space race.

In fact, it's a bit of a cheesy way to play, taking away the AIs only chance to win:mischief:

Of course, this is yet another excellent reason to play the Better AI mod ;). The AI is overall much better at it, can even win by Domination, though it's still fairly unlikely to do so. However, the AI can - and will - get Cultural victories. I've had some pretty embarrassing losses that way, when the AI suddenly grabs a well-timed culture victory.

Of course, this is yet another excellent reason to play the Better AI mod ;). The AI is overall much better at it, can even win by Domination, though it's still fairly unlikely to do so. However, the AI can - and will - get Cultural victories. I've had some pretty embarrassing losses that way, when the AI suddenly grabs a well-timed culture victory.

hehe
that's a good game, when the AI actually has a strat!

I believe that the cultural runner is very visible and will be a major + easy target, though.

hehe
that's a good game, when the AI actually has a strat!

I believe that the cultural runner is very visible and will be a major + easy target, though.

It depends. It's hard to see early that the AI is going for culture, especially when you're not expecting that. Ideally, the AI times its victory so that all three cities hit Legendary in a small timespan, leaving you very little time to react if you only do so after the first city hits Legendary.

It depends. It's hard to see early that the AI is going for culture, especially when you're not expecting that. Ideally, the AI times its victory so that all three cities hit Legendary in a small timespan, leaving you very little time to react if you only do so after the first city hits Legendary.

well, the victory screen shows 3 cities above 30k. Isn't that a hint ;) ?

anyway, to get back to the OP, I don't think even the betterAIs will check the available victory conditions.

If you do a lot of warmongerring, the AI can win Diplomancy. The AI likes to take up all the empty space on the board. If raze a lot of cities your BBF AI have a huge population and win the UN vote.

If you do a lot of warmongerring, the AI can win Diplomancy. The AI likes to take up all the empty space on the board. If raze a lot of cities your BBF AI have a huge population and win the UN vote.

There were some Diplomatic losses in GOTM 15. That was at Diety level though, and the players who lost those ones probably were not in a position to do much about it!

Top Bottom