No Units visible

RMF

Chieftain
I play Civ 4 - Beyond the Sword in single player mode on my laptop.

I start the game by running the following command: steam://rungameid/8800 via the "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword" icon on my desktop, and then loading the game ("Game 32") from the saved games folder.

When I did that today the game appeared to load normally, but no units were visible on the map. When I enter a city screen, I can see the units present in the city in that screen, but when I exit the city screen, no units are visible anywhere.

I have been playing that game for some time and have reached turn 239. The problem did not occur in any of the previous 238 turns.

I tried exiting the game and restarting it but with exactly the same result every time.

I tried loading some old games from the same folder, but they all had the same problem - no units visible.
I tried starting a new game but that had the no units problem from the start.(Turn 1).

I had encountered a different problem with the previous game that I had been playing ("Game 31"). I had been playing it for some time - over several sessions - but at one point, when starting a turn (Turn 576), the main menu (containing "Exit to Desktop", "Exit to Main Menu", etc) popped up spontaneously. I dismissed it, but, a couple of seconds later, the Domestic Advisor screen popped up spontaneously. I dismissed that, but it popped up again. That cycle repeated endlessly. I could not get rid of the Domestic Advisor screen. That was when I started Game 32 which I played successfully up until turn 239 when I encountered the "no units" problem as I described above.

I tried loading Game 31 again, but that now had both problems - no units and repeating Domestic Advisor.

I tried loading a previous game ("Game 30"). That one had the no units problem, but the Main Menu did not appear spontaneously..

I tried loading a very old game ("Game 17") from March 2023. that one behaved exactly the same as Game 30.

Maybe you've accidentally hit the "Bare Map" button above the minimap or pressed Ctrl+B. Though I would've thought that restarting BtS disables the Bare Map view; and it doesn't explain the Domestic Advisor issue. That one sounds like there might be a Python error. Setting HidePythonExceptions = 0 in CivilizationIV.ini might shed light on that (I'd hope to see an error popup after loading Game 31), but I'm not sure where the Steam edition places that file. A cruder approach would be to re-install the game – based on the hypothesis that some graphics files have mysteriously gone missing.

Thank you f1rpo. It was the "Toggle Bare Map" button! I've never used it and I'd forgotten all about it. It just goes to show the wisdom of the old saying "Check the b******* obvious! I was probably aiming at the Toggle Yield Display button and missed.

Top Bottom