Noble Level AI Production Bonus?

Darkgreen

Chieftain
So, I always thought that Noble was the level where things were supposed to be equal between the AI and human player but maybe I was wrong. I was just fiddling around with the world editor right after a few rounds after a start in a noble game and I noticed that the AI civs were able to make a warrior in about 4 rounds while it was going to take me 8. Is there something that I am missing here or do the AI civs get a production bonus on Noble level?

Maybe they're just more advanced than you. like they have mines and crap.

No bonuses for the AI on noble.

8 Turns to build a warrior? They are 15 hammers. Thats 2 hammers per turn, and you already have one in the city tile so your citizen placement only had one additional hammer.

4 turns to build a warrior, easy to get with a 3 hammer hill. However limiting growth that early can have it's detriment. If only for a first warrior I can see it, esp if your queue and a lion are racing.

(assuming this is the first build of the first city).

I don't see a cheat, just different resource management

I heard someone mention that the AI starts the game with 10 free hammers, I haven't confirmed it, but it does seem likely. (Someone try to explain how a city with level 1 radius, level 1 size, and no hills in the radius turns out a warrior in 4 turns? Fastest I've ever been able to do it is five, and thats when I start on a Plains hill with a forest or a Plains tile in my radius.)

Sidewinder00Q said:
I heard someone mention that the AI starts the game with 10 free hammers, I haven't confirmed it, but it does seem likely. (Someone try to explain how a city with level 1 radius, level 1 size, and no hills in the radius turns out a warrior in 4 turns? Fastest I've ever been able to do it is five, and thats when I start on a Plains hill with a forest or a Plains tile in my radius.)

Hmmmm, that would make sense since one time I started right next to Montezuma (I think) who starts off with a Scout. I sent in my warrior to take his city and lo, and behold, a warrior pops out right when I get there (that was about 4 turns in).

I guess it's to avoid those "exploits" for which you're right on top of another civ....

Req

Sidewinder00Q said:

Ok, and I just checked and yes the AI starts with 10 free hammers.

That's the only AI bonus on Noble (for the reason I detailed above).

Req

(Someone try to explain how a city with level 1 radius, level 1 size, and no hills in the radius turns out a warrior in 4 turns?

With a 3 hammer production carryover from the previous build (probably rushed his first scout and works a plains/forest with the available citizen). First turn would be 6 HPT, second through fourth 3 HPT for a total of 15 hammers and a completed warrior in 4 turns, no hills in the city radius.

To be clear, the AI gets other bonuses on noble. Notably the AI upgrades more cheaply than you. Noble is as close as it gets to even, but it is not truly even. Another thread probably has more details. I don't know about their happiness & health handicaps (which would be key).

Aside from the ten hammer starting bonus the AI gets bonuses to unit upkeep and upgrading. They get a small bonus against barbarians, but then so does the human player. They also get a bonus to inflation and war weariness. They receive no bonuses to health and happiness.

Noble is the most fair level, since the AI bonuses are very trivial. Most of them seem to be to remove problems with areas where the AI is particularly inept. In Civ 3 the AI tended never to upgrade anything, and to bankrupt itself with units. The noble bonuses seem intended to prevent this.

If you're playing on warlord then it's as hard for the AI to win as it is for you to win on monarch (in fact slighly harder becuause you get a free tech and other bonuses). 10% faster research and production is a huge bonus compared to the trivial ones the AI gets at noble, so noble is very definitely the fairer setting.

Top Bottom