Notes on Combat Experience

Refar

Deity
A deeper look into the Combat Experience system, just gave me somewhat unpelasant surprise, as - while the basics are largely the same as in Civ4 - the end results - i.e. with Regard to Veteran Soldiers - were quite disappointing. I believe some part of it be due to a oversight, but there is no way to be sure untill Firaxis does Patch (or not patch it...)
So for now just how it works:

The Basics. These are the same as for Civ4, as far as i can tell. So just for the sake of completenes...
The XP for the survivor (Our Unit ;)) of a battle are:

XP_Base = iXPValueAttack or XP_Base = iXPValueDefense
(depending on us beeing Attacker or Defender).
The Values are read out from the Civ4UnitInfos.XML and hence are unit-dependant.​
XP = XP_Base * Enemy_CurrentStrenght / Our_CurrentStrength
(With CurrentStrenght beeing the units :strenght: modified by any promotions, situation bonus and the units health.
So the ratio Enemy_CurrentStrenght / Our_CurrentStrength is closely related (But not the same!) to our combat odds - if we have high odds then Enemy_CurrentStrength is low, while ours is High, giving less XP)​
XP is trimmed so MIN_EXPERIENCE_PER_COMBAT <= XP <= MAX_EXPERIENCE_PER_COMBAT

GlobalDefines.XML:
Code:
	<Define>
		<DefineName>MIN_EXPERIENCE_PER_COMBAT</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>1</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>
	<Define>
		<DefineName>MAX_EXPERIENCE_PER_COMBAT</DefineName>
		<iDefineIntVal>10</iDefineIntVal>
	</Define>

At this point the XP are added to our Great General pool. Then any modifiers - if appropriate - are applied (like the +100% from the Leadership Promotion), and the XP are finally awarded to the unit.

Summary:
  • We can generally expect to get more XP, the riskier our fight was.
  • We also get at least 1 XP from every fight and can not get more than 10 XP from a fight - which would already require increadible luck to win in the first first place.
  • Leadership is applied after the cap, so for a unit with Leadership the minimum XP are 2 and maximum XP 20.
  • Leadership Promotion only enhances the specific unit that has it and does not enhance our ability to get Great Generals.

Unit Specific Values
No Surprises so far, but here it comes...
From Civ4UnitInfos.XML:
Code:
For Cannon, Artillery and any Naval Unit:
			<iXPValueAttack>4</iXPValueAttack>
			<iXPValueDefense>2</iXPValueDefense>
For any other Unit, including Veteran Soldiers:
			<iXPValueAttack>0</iXPValueAttack>
			<iXPValueDefense>0</iXPValueDefense>

What this means is, that any fighting colonist - will get exactly 1 XP from any and every fight, regardess the odds. (Because the XP formula will give 0, which then will be trimmed to MIN_EXPERIENCE_PER_COMBAT).

For the expensive Veteran Soldiers we buy from europe we will get 2 XP from any and every fight, regardless the odds.

For Cannon and Ship fights we will get normal "Civ4-Style" XP. Which is 2 XP from the most fights, more from risky ones.

Conclusions:
  • Cannon or Ships will advance Levels about as fast as a Veteran Soldier. A lot faster if doing some risky fights.
  • For the purpose of generating a GG fighting with Cannon (or Ship) is allways better than using Veterans. Since Leadership does not apply to GG points, a Veteran Soldier will give us 1 GG-Point from every fight. (Same goes for Military Founding Fathers, as far as i can tell).

I.e. with regard to Veteran Soldiers this seems a bit odd.
While they do in fact get double the XP of normal Colonists, they also do get a lot less, than i was expecting from my Civ4 experience. While the nominal "Double XP" sounds good, because of the very low basic value in the first place the Result barely justifies the hefty price tag in my eyes.

Close. Except that Colonists and Veteran Soldiers get rooked.

Top Bottom