Nuking question

Ninjazn

Chieftain
Sometimes when I try to nuke a city it won't let me. The grey-ish box around that tile just disappears after I try clicking it. I have declared war, there are none of my units near the tile and it still won't let me nuke it. Any reasoning as to why? I'm pretty sure bomb shelters don't prevent nukes from hitting, but instead just lessen the damage caused.

Perhaps the borders of another civ are within blast radius of your target city? I forgot wether it was one or two tiles blast radius.

Another civ's units must be near. If you're using an old Civ 4 version you also can't use nukes after the U.N. passes its resolution. (Somewhere down the line this was changed, because in Warlords 2.08 you just can't build them, but existing ones can still be used.)

im playing vanilla v1.61 and you can still launch them, im not sure about the non-patched
so its either someone around that your not at war with or if you passed the resoluton or you can download the patch, if you haven't gotten it already. most likly its the first one

I know what youre talking about, I have no idea why it happens but if I just try again it usually works. Sometimes have to do it two or three times but it always works eventually

I know what youre talking about, I have no idea why it happens but if I just try again it usually works. Sometimes have to do it two or three times but it always works eventually

Maybe thats a reason why the AI would never seem to launch nukes in earlier versions of the game.

You can use Nukes after the Non-Prof, just not build anymore unless you manage to overturn it.

Reason you can't nuke this city is they will have open borders with another country, and that other country must have a unit in that city - preventing you from making a strike.

Sometimes when I try to nuke a city it won't let me. The grey-ish box around that tile just disappears after I try clicking it. I have declared war, there are none of my units near the tile and it still won't let me nuke it. Any reasoning as to why? I'm pretty sure bomb shelters don't prevent nukes from hitting, but instead just lessen the damage caused.

The grey box means you can't nuke- the box goes yellow when you can.

In my experience with vanilla, you have to be able to 'see' the city you're nuking- i.e. have a unit close enough so that it isn't covered by fog of war, but far away enough that it isn't going to be hurt by the blast (outside the 9-tile blast radius). I recommend submarines or spies, because not only do they have a large LoS, but the enemy can't spot and kill them easily before you drop the nuke. Watch out for destroyers, mind.

The other suggestions- there is a non-enemy unit by the city- could also be to blame.

The other suggestions- there is a non-enemy unit by the city- could also be to blame.

Right, and as far as I know, spies will also count as a non-enemy unit!

Right, and as far as I know, spies will also count as a non-enemy unit!

Not only do spies have a line of sight big enough that they can see what's inside a city without being in the blast area of the nuke, they can also steal plans that let you see all enemy cities, so that you can nuke them.

Not only do spies have a line of sight big enough that they can see what's inside a city without being in the blast area of the nuke, they can also steal plans that let you see all enemy cities, so that you can nuke them.

True, but I was thinking that since a spy owned by the player will prevent that player from nuking -- wouldn't a spy from a third-party civ (with which the player is NOT at war,) also prevent him from nuking?

True, but I was thinking that since a spy owned by the player will prevent that player from nuking -- wouldn't a spy from a third-party civ (with which the player is NOT at war,) also prevent him from nuking?

Indeed it would. Better hope one of your allies isn't snooping on a city you'd like to nuke then.

I think you should be able to nuke it nonetheless and later say "there was a spy there? I didn't know! Come to think of it, what was your spy doing in Montezuma's city, Hannibal?" *commence warmongering*

Top Bottom