Occupy vs Raze

Ah. Right. It never fliped to me becaouse I tend to get my civ on a high level. I thought there might be something else, and I couldn't think of it. Thank's anyway.

You'll loose the army if it flips...

D'oh - never mind. I didn't see the other replies.

If its the start of a game and on a fair sized island with another opponent then I tend to raze cities, most of the time they are destroyed any way since they aren't that big, which then gives me more room to build my own cities, I try to keep the capital though just so I can see which civ I conquered to get it :lol:

+1 if you raze the city of another AI. +12 if you raze a city of that civ. Other civs don’t add any more penalties than the standard +1 if the city had contained any Great wonders. It doesn’t look like the victim adds more than the +12 permanent penalty either, but there may be a temporary penalty.

source = http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=786578#post786578

If hes right, it doesnt apply to capturing only to razing.

-1 to -3 for each enemy unit (of common enemies) you destroy and tiles you pillage, -7 for razing an enemy city, but all of this is temporary - AFTER the war or the civ is destroyed, you will get the +1 penalty for each razed city added back on, plus the +1 penalty for declaring war (even if you had joined the alliance). Any damage you did prior to signing the alliance (but during that same war) gets immediately added on. The total effect seems to cap at -15 for doing damage and having an alliance, -13 if you do everything else, but don’t have the alliance in place. This decays at -1 each turn, unless you destroy a unit or pillage a tile each turn to keep it at the maximum. So when peace comes and the -15 ‘temporary’ points is automatically taken off, it may seem like you took an attitude hit by signing peace or destroying the civ, because the other AI have a worse attitude towards you.

Note: this seems to be different effect since it only operates -7 for each razed city as warring-partners bonus and +1 as a penality after war.

Last edited:
Sometimes I raze and sometimes I occupy, depends on how many other cities do I have, how far away the taken city is, how good or bad is its location, and how nasty I am feeling that day. Not sure that I have any reasoned strategy for it. I do try and keep my city count down, so if the AI had a lot of cities bunched tightly together, I am likely to raze some to thin things out. I do not like cities on top of each other. Personal preference, and against most of the advice on the forum.

^ I'm not happy with ICS (or CXXC or a combination of the two) either but sometimes you'll have to do that to win.

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster. :)

Personally, I always play as a slaver. I love getting the free workers, but I hate using them as free (slave) labour because they work too slow and I usually have big stacks of my own native workers anyway.

I prefer to conquer the city, set the growth to zero and build workers until the city is down to 1. After enslaving the population, I send the slaves back to my capital (to the slave market) and sell them off to any civ that has the money. Sometimes if I feel sorry for the AI whose people I am enslaving I'll sell them back their own people, but usually I just sell them to whoever else has the money.

This way, I don't suffer the undying hatred of the civ I enslaved and my rep doesn't suffer for having razed cities. I also prevent flipping (90% of the time >_<) because the city now only has 1 population point from their culture.

You can earn some decent GP this way too. You can usually get around 20 gold for each slave. :D

I only raze if there is no way to hold the city for very long and I know a large counter attack will occur. If I think I can hold the city a turn or two I will keep it. If it is a city with a population of one it just depends if Im in a good mood or not. I dont care about flips because my culture is always very high so it rarely happens.

I only raze if there is no way to hold the city for very long and I know a large counter attack will occur. If I think I can hold the city a turn or two I will keep it. If it is a city with a population of one it just depends if Im in a good mood or not. I dont care about flips because my culture is always very high so it rarely happens.

Agreed, they rarely happen to me also, however when they actually do happen it's a royal pain! I often leave only enough forces in the captured city to pacify resisters and the rest of my forces are posted on a nearby hill/forest/mountain in case I need to recapture a flipped city.

I usually keep them though, because in many cases my settlers would take too many turns to reach the territory to ensure that someone else doesn't steal it. Recently I've actually started sending settlers in my stack though.

Oh, if a city does happen to flip on me, the next time i get that city back, its toast. Not a very good way to play but im a vengful person, even if it is a computer.

Oh, if a city does happen to flip on me, the next time i get that city back, its toast. Not a very good way to play but im a vengful person, even if it is a computer.

lol Fair enough! I like to be vengeful too, but I like my vengeance served cold...I like to take the town and starve/enslave the population down to 1, and then make the slaves work my city tiles or sell them into slavery to other civs. :evil:

I only occupy a city when it either has a wonder, or it is near a crucial enemy town. Most of the time I raze and take the rewards.

Hmm, following up on my earlier comment, I took one the other day that I should have thought about before occupying. I am presently at war with Egypt, and took Thebes, at that time the capitol. I did not look at the location long enough before saying "Put in a new governor'. The AI located the city in the middle of a block of hills and mountains, with no food resource or bonus anywhere in the city radius. It has ZERO development potential. This is one where if I had payed attention, I would have razed it to start with. My error.

Hmm, following up on my earlier comment, I took one the other day that I should have thought about before occupying. I am presently at war with Egypt, and took Thebes, at that time the capitol. I did not look at the location long enough before saying "Put in a new governor'. The AI located the city in the middle of a block of hills and mountains, with no food resource or bonus anywhere in the city radius. It has ZERO development potential. This is one where if I had payed attention, I would have razed it to start with. My error.

That's a pretty good point, something I hadn't really considered. Sometimes the AI makes rediculous city placements and razing just makes sense. :) That's something I'll have to keep in mind in future games as I RARELY raze, to my own detriment in a case like this.

Unless the Mac version plays differently, there's still the option to abandon Thebes. I will occasionally: (a) capture a city; (b) use the road or rail network that goes through it to move troops to the front lines; and then (c) abandon the city.

I will need to check on that, although I might be able to salvage something from it if I send in a bunch of workers to join the city. It is near enough the coast to get the benefit of my coastal boost in food, and there is one fish resource, again boosted, within the fat cross as well. However, that will take a lot of workers that might be better used elsewhere, like setting up better located cities. Without those, it is a no-brainer to abandon.

The option to abandon must be there in the Mac C3C version. It is definitely, in the case of C3. But watch out with abandoning cities, if there is some unhappiness from drafting or pop-rushing - and no matter who caused it - it will just spread to another one of your cities. It is a bit like catching a contagious disease.

DO I CONTINUE TO OCCUPY OR RAZE IT?

Okay, Gentlemen and Ladies, here is a screen shot, and I am open to advice as to keep or raze this city. The situation is I have just captured it, population was one, which was all that could be supported based on the way the AI was using the lone citizen. I am playing The Netherlands, and captured it from Egypt. As Agricultural, I get one extra food on the city square. This is one of my modified maps, so coastal terrain yields 2 food, 2 shields, and 2 gold, therefore is self-supporting with respect to each citizen assigned to it. There are four mines already within the city radius, and mines in mountains yield 8 shields per turn on the modded map if I can get workers on them. The fish yields 4 food, 1 shield, and 2 gold per turn. There is some forest that I can clear, and then irrigate to produce an additional 2 food per turn, irrigation on my mod increases food yield by 2. My max population without an aqueduct is 8, not 6, and my max as a city is 16, not 12. The buildings are all there because of some other modifications I have made. It looks like I might be able to supply enough food to work all four mines. However, all of this is going to take a lot of micromanagement, and I am presently fighting a war with Egypt, from whom I took the city. Comments?

Attachments

• Thebes-SW5:09.jpg
    Thebes-SW5:09.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 203
Top Bottom