October 2015 HOF III Update

superslug

Still hatin' on Khan
Hall of Fame Staff
The Civilization III Hall of Fame has been updated. 7 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to Atishay Jain for the highest Firaxis score of the update with a Tiny Deity Conquest game for 29250 points.

Atishay Jain was the most active player during this update, submitting 4 games.

Only 0 players were brave enough to take on Sid this update.

A number of players gained number one positions:
Atishay Jain with a 2800 BC Tiny Deity Conquest game for 29250 points.

Atishay Jain with a 610 BC Huge Warlord Conquest game for 5578 points.

Atishay Jain with a 2590 BC Large Chieftain Conquest game for 4683 points.

Congratulations to Denniz for rising from 23rd to 22nd, to archphoenix for rising from 24th to 23rd, to Scratcher for rising from 25th to 24th, to Pacioli for rising from 27th to 25th, to Rustwork for rising from 28th to 27th, to zerksees for rising from 30th to 28th, to Atishay Jain for rising from 34th to 29th, to Dianthus for rising from 31st to 30th, to krakedhalo for rising from 35th to 34th, to Pentium for rising from 36th to 35th, to The Professor for rising from 37th to 36th, to WillowBrook for rising from 38th to 37th and to FadeAwayNot for rising from 39th to 38th in the Quartermasters competition.
Commiserations to Aerinon for falling from 29th to 31st in the Quartermasters competition.
Commiserations to EMan for no longer being a Quartermaster.

A number of players are working towards the Quartermaster, gaining awards as follows:
Machiavelli : Nikodemus rose from 12th to 11th, Moonsinger rose from 13th to 12th, SpiffyKeen7744 rose from 18th to 17th and Atishay Jain rose from 35th to 34th.
Pentathlon : Marsden rose from 16th to 15th, Atishay Jain rose from 27th to 16th, a space oddity rose from 40th to 39th, eldar rose from 41st to 40th, WillowBrook rose from 42nd to 41st, krakedhalo rose from 43rd to 42nd, superslug rose from 44th to 43rd, adrianj rose from 45th to 44th, The Professor rose from 47th to 45th, Brennan rose from 48th to 46th, FadeAwayNot rose from 49th to 48th, BlackBetsy rose from 50th to 49th, Quintillus rose from 51st to 50th and bhudson rose from 52nd to 51st. EMan is no longer a Pentathlete.
Octathlon : boogaboo rose from 14th to 13th and Atishay Jain rose from 43rd to 37th.

So we have an update at 7 games. Well I was hoping to finish the Standard sid milk run I'm playing before this update to get my quartermaster ranking up......
Anyways, that would have taken a lot more time and who knows if I'd actually get to the end without an AI getting cultural win. By the way, is it a good idea to try stopping the cultural victory by not letting the ai have more than twice my culture. In the current game over got a large isolated island and I don't want to indulge in unnecessary warfare.

I still hope to update every ten games, but it had been nearly four months, and there's been no submissions for over a month now.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but where does the term "Quartermaster" come from with respect to Hall of Fame games? This is strictly curiosity, as I do not intend on signing up for any Hall of Fame submissions. That is not my style of playing the game.

The curiosity comes from having served as a Quartermaster officer in the US Army.

Pardon my lack of knowledge, but where does the term "Quartermaster" come from with respect to Hall of Fame games? This is strictly curiosity, as I do not intend on signing up for any Hall of Fame submissions. That is not my style of playing the game.

The curiosity comes from having served as a Quartermaster officer in the US Army.

It's a title given to players who have completed the 4 challenges- Pentathlon, Octathlon, Machievelli and Histographic, playing on all map sizes and winning by all victory conditions during the way. More on this here: http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ3/
Look in the quartermaster link and under the links for the other challenges of you wish to know more.

It's a title given to players who have completed the 4 challenges- Pentathlon, Octathlon, Machievelli and Histographic, playing on all map sizes and winning by all victory conditions during the way. More on this here: http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ3/
Look in the quartermaster link and under the links for the other challenges of you wish to know more.

A Quartermaster in the Army is a Supply Officer. A Quartermaster in the Navy is someone qualified to stand a watch and handle the helm of a ship. I guess is fail to see the reasoning in calling someone who has managed to beat four specific types of games a Quartermaster.

A Quartermaster in the Army is a Supply Officer. A Quartermaster in the Navy is someone qualified to stand a watch and handle the helm of a ship. I guess is fail to see the reasoning in calling someone who has managed to beat four specific types of games a Quartermaster.

Perhaps it's because quarter = 1/4 and a person who completes all 4 quarters of the competition is the master of the quarters. Hence the title : Quartermaster . I'm not sure though.

The name of the competition doesn't really fit with any preexisting definitions of "quartermaster."

At the time we created the challenge, we were looking to reinvigorate HOF III and bring about a competition within the Hall of Fame itself. At the time Civ IV was on the horizon, so we wanted to name the challenge something with 'fourish' related in the title, hence Quartermaster.

We just liked the sound of it, but it was really just meant that a winner had proved himself to be a master of the game in all quarters and corners of the HOF tables, variants, etc. Had nothing to do with any military titles or anything.

Great question though. Not sure it's been asked in the ten years or so the challenge has been around.

The name of the competition doesn't really fit with any preexisting definitions of "quartermaster."

At the time we created the challenge, we were looking to reinvigorate HOF III and bring about a competition within the Hall of Fame itself. At the time Civ IV was on the horizon, so we wanted to name the challenge something with 'fourish' related in the title, hence Quartermaster.

We just liked the sound of it, but it was really just meant that a winner had proved himself to be a master of the game in all quarters and corners of the HOF tables, variants, etc. Had nothing to do with any military titles or anything.

Great question though. Not sure it's been asked in the ten years or so the challenge has been around.

Thank you for the answer. It does make sense in that way.

I still hope to update every ten games, but it had been nearly four months, and there's been no submissions for over a month now.
We're one valid submission away from an update. This place may never die...:goodjob:

Top Bottom