Does this drive you nuts?

• Yes

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

G-Force Junkie

Old Vulcan Guy
It would be very nice if countries didn't let other countries send settlers through their country. It drives me nuts on world maps how Rome would heve territory on the Pacific Ocean with several countries between Rome the city in reference. Does this drive anyone else nuts?

I wouldn't want it banned outright, but the AI should be less allowing of Settlers passing thru its territory. Shouldn't be too hard to program; I figure you only need to treat each Settler as the equavelent of a minor horde of assault units for the purposes of border violations.

It already is a border violation in most cases. The AI tends to send its settlers through your territory along with a unit to protect it. It's this accompanying unit which should trigger the border violation.

Originally posted by Quasar1011
It already is a border violation in most cases. The AI tends to send its settlers through your territory along with a unit to protect it. It's this accompanying unit which should trigger the border violation.
It already does this. The problem is that the AI civs mostly ignore border violations from other civs. :(

What exactly is the problem? As long as they don't settle in someone else's territory (which they don't, AFAIK), it seems fine that they can pass through.

Originally posted by WillJ
What exactly is the problem? As long as they don't settle in someone else's territory (which they don't, AFAIK), it seems fine that they can pass through.

Because people playing World maps don't want Siberia to be a checkerboard of cities from various European civs, for example.

Note: Adding Mongolia in PTW solved at least some of this.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
Because people playing World maps don't want Siberia to be a checkerboard of cities from various European civs, for example.
I don't care about world map players. :p (j/k, but still I'd never think of playing a WM)

I still don't think it's a problem. Settlers have passed through countries in the past, right? And if you don't like it, you can declare war on them. Now, the AI reacts differently, but can you really expect, in a game like this, for the AI civs to be how you'd like them to be? You can't really expect a custom Brazilian civ that you made sure started in the right locale to claim land as a "true" Brazil. (Just an example.) Maybe it's just me, but I don't like thinking of this game as a recreator of history in any way whatsoever. You'll just dissapoint yourself continuously. (Except maybe the Conquests conquests, which sound interesting...)

I can sorta see your point, but I think it'd ruin the game if a person's lands were settler-impassible without war. I guess it wouldn't hurt if the AI hated settlers in their territory more, though. If that's what you had in mind, mentally delete all that I said above.

Originally posted by WillJ

Fine, WillJ. Since we are in the same city, I'm gonna pass through your yard and pitch a tent out back. :D

Originally posted by Quasar1011
Fine, WillJ. Since we are in the same city, I'm gonna pass through your yard and pitch a tent out back. :D
:D

The difference in that comparison is that the AI is going through territory and settling outside of it. If you want to compare, pretend I live in a sorta rural area. So you come through my yard and pitch a tent out in the woods behind my property. Nothing wrong with that.

i think the border vilation is a declartion of war between the two countrys. no mader what unit they send.

What annoys me isn't odd city locations on world maps specifically, but in general. If an AI controls a subcontinent except for a few odd peninsulas or tundra areas, it shouldn't be happy with other AIs' Settlers slogging thru its territory and claiming them. It should throw the bloody furriners out, and settle those areas itself, at its leisure.

The point of having the Settler count as a minor horde of offensive units it that it would change the AI's behaviour towards it. The AI won't usually care about a Spearman and a Settler violating its territory, but a dozen Swordsmen will be told immediately to leave or declare war.

i wish you could tell your opponents forces to get out of your territory immediately rather than having to wait for the "remove your forces or declare war" option to become available!

Top Bottom