1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Oil to build Units?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Tony.Uk, May 7, 2019.

1. seanos08

seanos08 Monarch

As France you get Garde Imperials which are as good as Infantry on your own continent and only cost nitre.

There is zero point in building leg infantry when you could build tanks for the same oil cost.

Mech Infantry are nearly as good as Modern Armor so it is worth upgrading musket men to them but you would build MA before MI.

The only reason to have infantry is they get +10 against all the AT troops the AI loves and you should love if you don't have much oil.
    AT troops and machine guns make excellent garrisons.

All ships and land units that consume oil should be made into armies and armadas as the oil cost is the same as a basic unit. The AI organises into armies too
    so basic units are not that useful in late game.

A city capture team of 2 tank/MA armies and 1 artillery/rocket artillery army with balloon/drone is effective and can be maintained on 3 oil per turn or 1 well.

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

IMO the main reason to use infantry over tanks is if you went swords --> muskets and have most of the promotions. At this point infantry armies can attack cities at ~120 strength and will have 5 movement points (GG, promotion, starting in friendly territory --> easy to arrange with that much strength). Might as well keep using that.

If building from scratch tanks are obviously better, and with cuirassiers the heavy cavalry line scales pretty well (using nitre, cuirassier armies are no joke and easy to arrange compared to oil units) so upgrading heavy cavalry is also strong.

3. Herod

Herod Chieftain

Agreed.
    Spent weeks playing a huge map only to discover I have 2 oil hex's giving me 6 oil plus another 2 with the card. No CS or trade oil so I have a whopping 8 oil per turn to build a military strong enough to dominate a huge map. In Vanilla, I'd have 8 infantry/tanks left at home just for defense.
    I ended up changing the oil extraction rate in the xml file to a value I can work with.