Old GOTM Scoring Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Aeson
If you have the date and base score for when you reach the domination limit in any of your milked games, just plug those in to see how your 'domination' score would compare to your 'milked' one.

Could you please give me an example of how to plug those values in to come up with your adjusted score? Sorry, but those modifiers don't do me any good unless I know what to do with them. I'm sure you probably already post the formula before, but since I'm new here, I don't know where to find it. Thanks!

//edit:

I think I figure it out. Just load up your excell spreadsheet and plug in the new number, right? It's easier than I thought. So basically, I don't have to do anything with your list of modifiers.

Silly me!

//please delete this one

Thanks for the quick and elaborate reply, Aeson. :)

It is very well possible I have a too one-sided look at how games should be rewarded, since my own approach to civ3 games has always been not to get an as high score as I could in a game, but to reach a victory condition (most times spaceship, especially in civ3 since I play on a slow system) as fast as possible, thus always favouring finishing date over score.

Since this thread is about GOTM Suggestion, I do have a suggestion to add. It would be nice if there is a place where we can take a look at the savegames of the top 10 players for each GOTM. It would be nice if I can see what Kemal or CB did in their games; I like to learn some new tricks from them.:) We can learn alot just by looking at the playback of the game too.

That leads me to another question. Now that we have to submit the save after the victory dance (after the win, the playback option will appear, but after we get pass that screen, I don't know how to get back to it), is there anyway we can get to the playback screen again?

In the old GOTMs they would compile all the saves into a giant zip file. But I guess no one has had the time to do it for a while, or maybe some players don't want to share.

You could always start a thread for people to post their saves voluntarily. :)

To Moonsinger: I had the same thoughts and cracker has already informed me that the archive will be restored to its former glory. :yeah:

These (large) files can really be a help because it is amazing how many different approaches people have to their games.

Originally posted by DaveMcW
You could always start a thread for people to post their saves voluntarily. :)

I think that would be a violation to the current GOTM rule, since posting savegame could be viewed as posting a spoiler. Therefore, the following request is for Cracker:

Would we have a thread title "GOTM#?? Save Games" for each month (after the submission deadline, of course) so that we can share our saves with each other? I'm just throwing out idea; that's all (like DaveMcW said, it's possible that some players don't want to share). Maybe the GOTM staffs already have better plans for making the saves public. Thanks for answering in advance!:)

Originally posted by Kemal
To Moonsinger: I had the same thoughts and cracker has already informed me that the archive will be restored to its former glory. :yeah:

These (large) files can really be a help because it is amazing how many different approaches people have to their games.

Cool!:cool: Please ignore my last post! I was typing it while you were answering it.

DaveMcW et all,

Give us just a few more weeks to fully gain your confidence. We have been working feverishly in the background to fix a number of issues and these will all be revealed to you shortly.

Your wants, needs, and suggestions really help to validate many of the things we have been struggling to work on in the midst of the Christmas holidays and the transition to the new leadership

Starting with Gotm14 you will have direct access to every individual save game in an easy to use menu that ties in directly to the results page. Instead of having to download a huge zip file you can just pick and choose to get the save game you want. Creepster has been quietly working on these issues for you for over two weeks now.

For an example of sort of how this will work you can go to the Results thread and Results page for Qsc13.

There is sort of a line in the sand that we need to recognize and all of the new features are coming on line beginning with Gotm14-Babylon and Gotm15-Russia.

A number of tasks for Gotm13-Aztecs and Gotm12-Zulus have been left undone and we will try to go back and fix these discrepencies as soon as we have the current games and near term future well in hand.

I am going to go ahead and ask Aeson the summarize the previous 140+ messages in this thread in a concise message to start a new thread to be titled "New GOTM Scoring System Proposal" but I think he will probably due that sometime later in January after we get the Gotm14 results out and process through a discussion of the new Global Ranking system.

I am retitling this thread and will probably close it in the next several days just help provide a clean transition.

After discussion between myself and CB behind the scenes, the scoring formula has undergone some pretty extensive changes from last month. Finally the problem with 'late' early victory types scoring too much has been addressed, and of course the addition of the civ trait modifiers.

A scoring curve has been added. The 'date' portion of the score is based off that curve and the 'best' finish date. Basically, the 'date' portion of the score is now representative of how many points (if milked to 2050AD) are expected to be passed up by finishing at the given date. This, added to their 'base' score, gives a total which is then divided by the 'max' score for the map.

I will explain the changes more indepth later, but for now, here are the GOTM14 results. The 'modified' score is still included in the results, but has no bearing on the final score anymore.

I tried to follow all the discussions on scoring systems etc. but I got desperately lost.

I was about to post a request for a wrap-up of the topic, but I see I have been beaten to this by Cracker himself. I am delighted to read that Aeson will post a summary, and I'll be eagerly waiting to read it. :thumbsup:

I just read through this whole thread looking for info on the scoring curve calculations :(

Aeson, please tell us this summary document is written up somewhere....

Edit: Just found it here. Thx Aeson :)

Since we have summarized these issues on the GOTM website and Aeson has started a new discussion of the actual implementation, I am going to close this thread to help keep the discussion consolidated.

This thread will still be used as a reference for many of the development discussions that went into shaping the Jason Scoring System.

Cracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom