Older Versions of Old World

Verrucosus

Warlord
Is there a way to reinstall older versions of Old World? Steam's Beta window shows the current test version, but no earlier versions.

Sorry but no, there isn't a way to go back in time.

That's a pity, but thank you. For Civilization, there was some keyword you had to type to go back, so it couldn't hurt to ask.

You can download older versions of any game via Steam by using the Steam CLI and the download_depot command if you look up which exact version you want on SteamDB or a similar service, but that's a bit of a pain unless you really need to do this.

Thank you for pointing me to that option! I found some instructions and it really does look like a bit of a pain, but I might give it a try anyway. The appeal of the current version is strong, of course. It's exciting to read update notes, experiment with new game options or adjust my playstyle to the most recent tweaks, but there is also something to be said for having access to a version that is already familiar because I spent a lots of time with it.

If you decide that you prefer a few specific rules from an earlier version, the easier path would likely be to create a mod to restore those rules. Just keep in mind that's an option.

Thank you again. I'll keep the modding option in mind, but it seems daunting. I never tried modding beyond simple tweaks of txt-file values back in the Civ2/Alpha Centauri days. Rules are all related to each other, so I imagine it's really easy to break things by accident. In any case, my interest in the older versions is not about specific rules. It's about not "losing" the specific game I enjoy every time I install an update. I managed to download one from last autumn. With that familiar version as a fallback, it's much easier to enjoy how the current version keeps getting better and better.

Top Bottom