OOS laboratory

Ahwaric

Shrubbery-hugger
Ok, time to finally start it.

With the most serious crashes fixed and 0.30 being worked on, I think it is time to finally work on MP fix.

I decided to start a new thread to have control over first post - I will post files for testing here.

So far, the identified reasons of OOS are:
  • ranged strikes (AI, only if one player sees the AI striking and the other does not)
  • expanded mercenaries spell (will change the whole thing to RFC approach, for now just use standard spell in MP)

I will check old OOS threads and look for any other raports. But if you know of anything, please post it here.

Now to actuall fixing.

Attached below are two files - changed CvGameCoreDLL.dll.

First one, called vanilla, has ranged strikes reverted back to FfH state (ranged strikes are in dll as it is code from Final Frontier mod, just not used). No ranged xp, limited random factor, no info on who is striking
Second one is simillar, but with info on who is striking added back.

If you can do some tests, please run MP game and when you have OOS caused by ranged strike, check if replacing Orbis CvGameCoreDLL.dll (in mods/Orbis/Assets folder) with attached ones fix it. Please make double sure you are replacing the right file and note which of the attached replacements are you using. False reports will make the whole thing even harder to fix. Once I know if removing either of these parts helps, I will try to dig deeper.

It might help if I say that 'info' file is the one compiled later, and both were made on 14 december, not on 12 as the one that comes with the patch P.
You can just reapply patch P to revert to standard file.

I am counting on you - and I will not be able to really test it on my own for some time.

Attachments

• CvGameCoreDLL vanilla.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 281
  • CvGameCoreDLL info.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 269
We did use the changed dll, but will still got an OOS.

Attachments

• Arno_Thomas2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    619.8 KB · Views: 275
So far, the identified reasons of OOS are:
  • ranged strikes (AI, only if one player sees the AI striking and the other does not)
  • expanded mercenaries spell (will change the whole thing to RFC approach, for now just use standard spell in MP)

Wow that explains so much

I play MP (FF but hear the same OOS issues there) and almost never have OOS issues like others claim to see.

However we ALWAYS start the game teamed up (aka perm alliance) so we always see the ranged attack the other sees. Also we never buy Mercs.

Not much help to you but I have always wondered why I dont see the issues others claim to have.

Finally some posts here :)
We did use the changed dll, but will still got an OOS.
Are you sure these were caused by ranged strikes? There can be other causes...
I will try to dig through the code and maybe change a few more things to see if that helps...
Unfortunatelly I will not be able to check your save this week, but thanks anyway, will find a way.
Wow that explains so much
I play MP (FF but hear the same OOS issues there) and almost never have OOS issues like others claim to see.
However we ALWAYS start the game teamed up (aka perm alliance) so we always see the ranged attack the other sees. Also we never buy Mercs.
Not much help to you but I have always wondered why I dont see the issues others claim to have.
Ranged strike code is almost identical in FF & Orbis - so the reason you are fine is probably team play.
Standard mercs are fine, expanded mercs are the problem. In fact, while I like this option I think I need to change it to something MP friendly. And simpler.

These are just two OOS causes. I guess there are more, and that is in part what this thread is for.

I will see if I can talk him into trying Orbis out (I play FF multiplayer only, I play Orbis, Lena and RifE single) and use these files.

We don't know these other causes. If you could post the known issues we could try to avoid them. We still have earlier saves if you need them. My friend plays Kane and I switched to Hyborem about turn 148. But the Luchuirp I was fighting were almost exclusively using ranged attacks before changing the dll, so it still could be.

Played a multiplayer game with the vanilla dll, but still got OOS's that appeared to have been caused by ranged attacking that only one player could see. Trying it with the infos dll...

...aaand no dice. The ranged attack OOSes still happen with the infos dll. Really cripples late game multiplayer when AIs are on board. I'd be willing even to completely disable ranged attacks if it would stop these.

Got a repeating OOS with teamplay...exchaning with vanilla core dll didnt help...

Attachments

• Dwarves_OOS.CivBeyondSwordSave
    234 KB · Views: 297
Thanks for making that change, I'll probably use it in SP, since I hate ranged striking.

From my experience, Scions seem to be something that frequently cause OOS, especially as the game develops.

It seems as if the game seems to OOS every 20 turns after Turn 100 when they're in the game..

Anyway, this is pure speculation.. I'll try and work on getting some saves to be tested.

Oh, the wildmana folks are claiming they've got a new ranged combat model that stops OOS entirely, and has automation.

May want to check their thread, and/or see if it's portable into Orbis.

How is this coming along? I've wanted to play Orbis in MP for a very long time, but haven't, due to a fright for OOS. I tend to use the mercenary mechanic a lot and it's supposedly a surefire way to get an OOS at the moment. :(

I am sorry guys for all the trouble. I assure you that MP compatibility is one of my top priorities now.

Oh, the wildmana folks are claiming they've got a new ranged combat model that stops OOS entirely, and has automation.
May want to check their thread, and/or see if it's portable into Orbis.
Thanks. I will definetly check it and see if it will fit Orbis. Will try to do it before 0.30.
How is this coming along? I've wanted to play Orbis in MP for a very long time, but haven't, due to a fright for OOS. I tend to use the mercenary mechanic a lot and it's supposedly a surefire way to get an OOS at the moment. :(
No luck (and time) recently. I know expanded mercenaries cause oos. I will change the mercenary system, hopefull this time it will be MP friendly. For now, use standard mercenaries (the base FfH spell) - it works fine in MP.

Is this thread still being checked?
Well, I have a report. Playing LAN with my brother, him playing the Dao (sp? The elementalist guys) and I the Scions. Things were running pretty fine until I researched Ether, freeing that one hero in my capital and summoning the mad guy. We got an immediate OOS and have been getting them every other turn since it seems. That game has since been canned and we now have a Doviello/Don't Remember game going. Only rare OOS in that one.
Does this help at all? No ranged attackers or anything nearby.

What news about OOS fix in MP?

Surely, somebody has thought of ways to reduce or eliminate some OOS problems. For example, how to disable ranged combat and remove the bad spells? I love Orbis...

EDIT: Finally started digging into the code tonight and disabled all the Archer's "AirRangedAttack" bonuses. We went from having 4-6 turn OOS to no OOS. I suspect some spells still make things go OOS but I'm satisfied with this quick fix. However, Archers were nerfed a bit :(

hey all,

I'm currently playing MoM as FFH modmod with some friends, and we want to try out other mods.... Is Orbis MP friendly now? And the above mentioned fix for archers (something we too had OOS with in previous mods), will that be included in a patch?

Surely, somebody has thought of ways to reduce or eliminate some OOS problems. For example, how to disable ranged combat and remove the bad spells? I love Orbis...

EDIT: Finally started digging into the code tonight and disabled all the Archer's "AirRangedAttack" bonuses. We went from having 4-6 turn OOS to no OOS. I suspect some spells still make things go OOS but I'm satisfied with this quick fix. However, Archers were nerfed a bit :(
May you tell how did you fix this?

Top Bottom